Curse or praise head-fi.org?
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #61 of 78
Praise: Got a headphone setup that puts a smile on my face everyday.

Curse: I have no reason to come here unless I want to hear people tell me how I need to spend a lot more money if I want a "better" setup.

I think I'm satisfied now and it'll be hard for me to give advice in the future since I don't plan on making anymore major purchases. The only audio related item on my radar right now is a set of traveling cans (hello HD25-II!) ... that's about it though.

I'm at the point where what I have is good enough for me.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #62 of 78
Praise: I have found an interest that I'm amazed that I haven't found before! I've always listened to a lot of music, but always on crappy rigs and with crappy headphones. Thanks to this site I'm now a very happy owner of the K701-Heed Canamp combo! This little nirvana-state will hopefully keep me from going to this site very often...
k701smile.gif

Curse: My wallet bleeds! Extended exposure to head-fi will not stop the bleeding.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #63 of 78
head fi needs to stay a private place for people who either already know what it is or stumble onto its for sale area on accident. I've bought and sold things here so very easily and without any problems, Im vowed to never again sell on craigslist or ebay. Why the hell would i want to after finding head fi?

its best to not let the word out and keeps its population small. The best of the best are here, if you want audio experts your first stop should always be head fi.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #64 of 78
Curse Head-Fi!

Now I am seriously contemplating upgrading my Graham Slee Solo to Solo Ultra Linear or SRGII.

I am also eyeing my Cd player for an upgrade in Burson op amps and a RockClock.

Will this ever end?

Praise
It all sounds super good. Even popular recording like Lady Gaga are a delight to put in the CD player.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #66 of 78
Don't exaggerate, no internet no Head-Fi, no current no internet: it's that easy.

Praise: I learn more about audio gear and music here than I did before. My collection of headphones is perfect for now and I'm happy.

Curse: I'm still in need of a low to high gain amplifier and I'm eyeing possible amplifier/DAC devices which will set me back big time. The music forums are like long wish lists of CDs I still have to buy, sometimes I hate money. I shouldn't forget extra memory, arghhh...

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #67 of 78
5 month since first contact with Head-Fi.org. Still no signs of reduction in addiction...

Look what you made me do!

K701 led to headphone amp choice: Graham Slee Solo and then to wonderful Solo Ultra-Linear. This led to a new source. Marantz SA8003 which lead to new interconnects (softer signature allows for more transparent kable) van den Hul The Wave. This leads to feverish late night SACD sessions.

All praise Head-Fi for fidelity was never this accurate, moving and to a point affordable (you could argue against that at +1500 euro worth of head-fi gear).

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #69 of 78
After the first thousand-dollar (oh, sorry, Euro) component, spending $200 on something seems cheap.  I assure you. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #70 of 78
my wife:  "are you on that stupid forum AGAIN?"

me:  "yes.  they have a gun to my head and they're making me buy more headphones."

biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #71 of 78
Curse for the most part - the hype and hyperbole train makes products "THE BEST EVAH" about every 3 months and they usually aren't...a lot of shills here too.

Learning about new stuff is fun, but not the shilling that goes on here.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #72 of 78

Quote:
5 month since first contact with Head-Fi.org. Still no signs of reduction in addiction...

Look what you made me do!

That is the way to go!
Thank god you have been able to stay clear of those $1k headphones, amplifiers, ... At least so far. :xf_eek:)

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #74 of 78
Head-fi is good for getting an education, but bad for tempting you to purchase new equipment. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #75 of 78
For those of us who have a naturally addictive nature, and who cry about our wallets, I have only this to say :

If it were not Headfi, it would just be something else !  This is fact, and not opinion. It is in the very nature of anyone with an addictive, obsessive, or compulsive nature.

Before it was Headfi, I had $13,000 in a high end car audio system ..... before that it was a $150,000 home system .... before that it was $30,000 worth of high end airguns .... before that it was a $70,000 hot rod that ran 9 second quarters ...

Get the point ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back