Current Edition 8 owners - could you tell me a couple of things?
Jun 21, 2010 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
- First of all, the isolation on offer. Is it anything like the regular closed Ultrasones?
- Secondly, the cup size: Could you measure the external cup height, width and depth?

Many thanks

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 19
Isolation is excellent.  Best of any closed headphone I currently own.

As for the measurements, do you want the inside of the cup?

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 19
Isolation is considerably better then for example the DT 770 Pro/Ultrasone Pro 750/900.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 19
Yes isolation is about the best available and leakage is near zero.
Cup size h x w x d (including thickness of cushion) is about 9 x 7 x 3,5 cm. The cushion is about 1,5 cm thick in all directions. It is a snug but comfortable fit with my ears.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 19
Also... any on-head pics? The only ones I've come across is this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlm-models/3842018925/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlm-models/3841855649/
Which isn't really valid as she could probably look good in a pair of Jecklins.

Ideally, fat blokes wearing them. And no, it's not some kind of fetish.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Yes isolation is about the best available and leakage is near zero.
Cup size h x w x d (including thickness of cushion) is about 9 x 7 x 3,5 cm. The cushion is about 1,5 cm thick in all directions. It is a snug but comfortable fit with my ears.

Would another owner confirm this? They seem barely bigger than the Triports.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't have mine handy, but I will say they are the smallest circumaural headphone I have ever seen. 

The isolation is phenomenal.  The pads are not the thickest in the world, but they are very well made. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Would another owner confirm this? They seem barely bigger than the Triports.

They are not big. Here with ATH-L3000 and ATH-ESW9 and some lousy on head of a semi fat guy shots

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Everything is relative... They are gigantic compared to Koss Porta Pros, K81DJs, Boss Triports and the likes. But smaller then any of my full size headphones. They still more belong to full size then the small portable department though.
I would say Bose Aroundear take the price for being the smallest fully circumaural headphones available as a side note.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 19
A few more questions
- how is the cable terminated at the jack end? What sort of connector does it have?
- the 'ruthenium' coating - how useful is it actually? i.e. is it actually a protective layer or does it have other demerits?
Thanks

Just by way of explanation. I am considering these as a replacement to my Bose Triport AE's as portables... which have outlasted multiple (often) better-sounding phones because of their balance of isolation, light weight, comfort, decent looks and acceptable sound. But I've always been itching to move up in terms of sound, but I've been unable to compromise on the other attributes.  260g doesn't strike me as too bad and on-headwise it looks perfectly OK. Would there be any deal-breakers that anyone can envisage?

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 19
They are top of my lust list. Can I join in and ask -

When it is said they leak very little noise, two people sitting next to each other in a quite room, would one be able to still hear anything from the other?

Do they have the closed backed sound of smaller sound stage but a bigger bass?

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
They are top of my lust list. Can I join in and ask -

When it is said they leak very little noise, two people sitting next to each other in a quite room, would one be able to still hear anything from the other?

Do they have the closed backed sound of smaller sound stage but a bigger bass?

No I am driving folks mad when I wear them... They scream and I hear nothing. My mom when visiting her is particularly threatful to the ED 8 :wink:. More then once I have had to fight with her not taking them off when she wants something.

Closed back sound. Well yes and no. You will have to dig hard for cup resonances. All my other headphones like markl D5000, DX 1000, Pro 900, DT 770 have much more issues in this area. The Pro 900 can be quite easilly modded but the ED 8 is overall still better here. Particularly in bass. As for soundstage it´s significantly smaller then the Pro 900. Part of this is the amount of isolation and the smaller cup size. But it still retain some of the "S-logic magic". If you like it more in your face you will like these.

As for bass they are by no means bassy headphones. Quite neutral if you like speaker presentation anyway. But the bass is there where it counts and it has a sublime tone to it and yes you feel the bass when it´s called for. But not to the point it ever gets tiring.

@bangraman.

Also liked the bose aroundears fit. Didn´t seem to isolate all that well when I tried it though but impressed they could be so small yet fully circumaural. Didn´t have the sonics of the ED 8 and the build quality and price scared me away. Otherwise I would consider them for more hostile environments or when I may get sweaty when I don´t want to use the ED 8 for obvious reasons.

Ruthenium is have I been told one of the harder metals in the world and very scratch resistant. So it´s probably not just for cosmetic use they went with that. I am sure there is cheaper metal with mirror finish. I am taking care of mine for sure so I can´t actually say how scratch resistant they are.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 19
Thanks oqvist, but what I meant was, can your mum hear what you are listening to, not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back