crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Feb 5, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,791 of 3,338
The EJ07 doesn't seem to have as little treble as the graph implies, to my ears anyway. Quite puzzling. Roland is dark for sure but the EJ07 sounds very different. Probably my unexperienced ears but it sounds airy and detailed to them. Am I missing a trick, knowing I own both sets?

I totally agree. The quad EST drivers are pretty magic in there. I hear it clearly. I do agree its not got the super ultra microdetail above 10k that TOTL iems have. Doesn't bother me one bit. The EJ07 DOES have insane detail below 10k and the tonality is pretty special imo.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #2,792 of 3,338
I totally agree. The quad EST drivers are pretty magic in there. I hear it clearly. I do agree its not got the super ultra microdetail above 10k that TOTL iems have. Doesn't bother me one bit. The EJ07 DOES have insane detail below 10k and the tonality is pretty special imo.
Is there a good song that could highlight the 10k+ range clearly? Trying to educate my ears!

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2,793 of 3,338
there's just a lot of air and wispiness/shimmer above 10k, it's more 'perceived' than 'heard' in most musical instruments. Well, actually you can hear the content above 10k, but it's all overtones of cymbals and synth effects. No real 'music' up there.

But.....If this content is lacking, then resolution and low level detail tends to suffer and the open clear spaciousness of an IEM/Headset is minimized.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #2,794 of 3,338
there's just a lot of air and wispiness/shimmer above 10k, it's more 'perceived' than 'heard' in most musical instruments. Well, actually you can hear the content above 10k, but it's all overtones of cymbals and synth effects. No real 'music' up there.

But.....If this content is lacking, then resolution and low level detail tends to suffer and the open clear spaciousness of an IEM/Headset is minimized.

Exactly, and further, if that information is missing, the notes or the tone of an instrument just won't sound right. Something will be deadened. This is particularly bad for acoustic instruments.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #2,795 of 3,338

I can probably delete my jibberish post earlier. That put it way clearer. XD

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,797 of 3,338
I don't want to spread much negativity or accuse somebody, but this has to be said: Head-Fi is a cesspool of fake reviewers who throw out a ton of useless reviews in order to get free stuff from manufacturers. No one should believe everything a reviewer says or make a buying decision based on one reviewer's opinion alone. Sometimes I get the impression of a sheep flock that blindly follows anyone who can put three sentences in a row. Stay aware, inform yourselves and keep some common sense, guys.
Well said Man!

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,798 of 3,338
Is there a good song that could highlight the 10k+ range clearly? Trying to educate my ears!

One of the songs that made the hair stand up on end with the EJ07, keep in mind I listen at a good volume:

had to smoke a cig after listening to that, the dueling female vocals on the EJ07... my god

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,799 of 3,338
One of the songs that made the hair stand up on end with the EJ07, keep in mind I listen at a good volume:

had to smoke a cig after listening to that, the dueling female vocals on the EJ07... my god

So refined, classy, holographic, crystal clear. I guess the 10k is whatever those little "shimmery" things are. Also, just the right amount of bass Flawless!

I wonder how this sounds on the Voyager14...

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,801 of 3,338
So refined, classy, holographic, crystal clear. I guess the 10k is whatever those little "shimmery" things are. Also, just the right amount of bass Flawless!

I wonder how this sounds on the Voyager14...

Sounds absolutely incredible. The shimmer is off the hook. Maybe sliightly more clear and balanced? Maybe, but its so minor I wouldn't care. Im not entirely an OCD freak.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #2,802 of 3,338
Well I bought Sony ier 1zr. Perfect for me, I think the only high end iem that I need

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2,803 of 3,338
Crinacle, I just want to thank you for doing such a great job with graphing these IEMs and providing a ranking to them. Through that, I was able to skip through the cheaper options and jump straight to the top thereby saving money. Fortunately, being based out of Korea I was able to audition many of the high end IEMs that you have on your ranking list and if I may, my ranking list of your S-rank list would be Z1R > Viento-B > A12T > VE-8 > Anole VX.

The Z1R is tremendous with its treble and bass texture and I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is amazing for female vocals, especially since 99% of my music is kpop and jpop with a little bit of Elton John sprinkled in. Unfortunately for the Z1R, it isn't made as a custom so it doesn't work for my use case. As a result, I got a Viento-B and A12T in lieu of that, which I find are both tremendous and complement each other very well.

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,804 of 3,338
Crinacle, I just want to thank you for doing such a great job with graphing these IEMs and providing a ranking to them. Through that, I was able to skip through the cheaper options and jump straight to the top thereby saving money. Fortunately, being based out of Korea I was able to audition many of the high end IEMs that you have on your ranking list and if I may, my ranking list of your S-rank list would be Z1R > Viento-B > A12T > VE-8 > Anole VX.

The Z1R is tremendous with its treble and bass texture and I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is amazing for female vocals, especially since 99% of my music is kpop and jpop with a little bit of Elton John sprinkled in. Unfortunately for the Z1R, it isn't made as a custom so it doesn't work for my use case. As a result, I got a Viento-B and A12T in lieu of that, which I find are both tremendous and complement each other very well.
As someone waiting for an Anole VX to arrive, I feel both privileged and slightly annoyed :D

I demo'd the U12t today and I found the bass a bit thin. It was a quick store demo and it was extremely noisy, so not a great environment to test. I did also prefer the U12t to the U18t for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,805 of 3,338
As someone waiting for an Anole VX to arrive, I feel both privileged and slightly annoyed :D

I demo'd the U12t today and I found the bass a bit thin. It was a quick store demo and it was extremely noisy, so not a great environment to test. I did also prefer the U12t to the U18t for what it's worth.
Ohhhh thats SPICY, are we gonna have a comparison between VX and V14???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back