crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jan 27, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #2,761 of 3,338
Yes for about an hour. Not long enough though. The bass has quite the slam from what I recall. Lee mentioned his aim when tuning the bass was to get as close to the reproduction of how speakers bass slam sounds like.
His main market is Japan though, even in his home country there are not many users.
There are quite a few reports that the mids on it are thin-ish so it’s not for me

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #2,762 of 3,338
There are quite a few reports that the mids on it are thin-ish so it’s not for me

Definitely not thin-ish. Utada Hikaru vocals sounded lush and full to me. Don’t forget, his main market is Japan, and Japanese tend to favour fuller sounding mids.

But then your reference for thin-ish might be different than mine.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #2,763 of 3,338
Definitely not thin-ish. Utada Hikaru vocals sounded lush and full to me. Don’t forget, his main market is Japan, and Japanese tend to favour fuller sounding mids.

But then your reference for thin-ish might be different than mine.
I will most certainly give them a try if/when I get the chance to - I am rather open minded before having tried something myself

In general though I'm a bit of a midrange person (though there are some stuff that I enjoy that aren't too crazy on the mids)

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #2,765 of 3,338
I will most certainly give them a try if/when I get the chance to - I am rather open minded before having tried something myself

In general though I'm a bit of a midrange person (though there are some stuff that I enjoy that aren't too crazy on the mids)

I’m sure you can easily give them a try by paying a refundable deposit :p
That said, whether you like it or not is a diff story :D
I myself am not sure yet since I need more time with them to form a solid conclusion.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #2,766 of 3,338
I’m sure you can easily give them a try by paying a refundable deposit :p
That said, whether you like it or not is a diff story :D
I myself am not sure yet since I need more time with them to form a solid conclusion.
Well since i live in Europe customs are a bitch to deal with, but I'll be attending a canjam and going to Singapore later this year so I think I'll get my chance :D

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #2,767 of 3,338
Check out Toranku and Aminus’ threads here on Head-Fi. Similar to Crinacle they are demoing units at high end head-fi shops, personal units, shows, loaners from individuals, etc. They’re just doing it because they like (love?) it, not to make a buck and they’re not beholden to any manufacturer, etc. and can call it like they see it without fear of being “blacklisted” from the free review units to keep the machine moving.

As others have pointed out though, that’s just 3 opinions in a sea of thousands in this hobby. Trust your own ears above all else as your ear anatomy and auditory preference is personal to each individual.
Seems Singapore has monopolised the honest review industry :)

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,768 of 3,338
Not thin at all. Ive listened to Hades V2. The mids is nowhere thin as Z1R

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,770 of 3,338
Question to @crinacle

Question about the EJ07 frequency graph.

It is so smooth without any phasing drops anywhere (and then the 5kHz). Is this early smoothness considered a good thing or a bad thing? Like did they put no thought into it by smoothing over the 1kHz area? Or they put alot of design effort into it to achieve that?

I noticed alot of ToTL have more drops and spikes. I saw nothing like the one long continuous bass/mid transition of the EJ07's graph.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,772 of 3,338
do you mean frequency response peaks and valleys? An uneven treble response? I'm a bit confused by your use of the word 'phase'.

Bah, that is how lost I am. As you say, I mean those on purpose peaks and valleys.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,773 of 3,338
those on purpose peaks and valley
the uneven treble isn't necessarily done on purpose. but yes, you have a good question. Why is it that many IEMs have such uneven treble?

I'd venture to guess (but don't know for sure) that it's about how sound behaves in a small enclosed area. Reflections will cause standing waves (areas of spikes) in addition to the primary resonance you see at 7khz (the target depth Crinacle shoots for). The IEM in this picture looks like it controls the backwave quite well, absorbing reflected sound and not letting it echo back and forth. That reverberation back and forth creates the standing waves I mention. Proper acoustical absorption or diffusion can minimize or prevent these standing waves.

I could be wrong and it could be a by product of the crossover and the dampers, etc. Or it could even be the drivers' primary resonances. Likely all three effects can cause this uneven treble. Just shooting from the hip here.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,774 of 3,338
Pretty easy to identify actually, the new tuning (3rd) has the bunny ears logo. 2nd one had FIR logo!!

Im deciding between erlk and M5 now!!

So.... have you decided between the M5 and the Erlkoning ? :darthsmile:

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #2,775 of 3,338
So.... have you decided between the M5 and the Erlkoning ? :darthsmile:
Not yet :D I just bought the Tansio Mirai Zodiac and i am extremely happy with it.

So for now I am quite content with the iems i have U12t,Itsfit Fusion, Tansio and will buy a flagship in the next 5 months! So it could be M5 or any other that comes up, but for now im going dark from here! Been splurging a lot lately :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back