crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jan 9, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,531 of 3,338
Which do you prefer for vocals? I've always wanted to try a CA iem, but it still seems Andromeda might be the better option for first impressions (and not to mention cheaper). But now they have the Andromeda S that makes even harder to decide...

Interested mainly because I want to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the hype and reviews, despite being pretty disappointed with their Cascade headphone. Way too much bass and too thick in the mids...

I would take Andromeda S over the normal Andromeda for vocals.

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,532 of 3,338
@crinacle , for someone willing to forgo S/A tier resolution and top end extension, which universal iem(s) under USD 1500 would you suggest for me to audition if i love VE8 and JH Roxanne.

I love me some meaty lower midrange and “boldness” that VE8 examplify (to me).

Tried the SD5, and while it loved its bass but there is a shoutiness in the vocal range that i found overbearing.

thanks in advance.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,533 of 3,338
Which do you prefer for vocals? I've always wanted to try a CA iem, but it still seems Andromeda might be the better option for first impressions (and not to mention cheaper). But now they have the Andromeda S that makes even harder to decide...

Interested mainly because I want to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the hype and reviews, despite being pretty disappointed with their Cascade headphone. Way too much bass and too thick in the mids...

S is worse than stock Andro for me

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,535 of 3,338

I’ve heard that the Andro S has the best mids, I’m unsure about the Solaris though. I always hear that they can’t really gets mids right (but the Orion apparently does mids well?)

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,538 of 3,338
@crinacle Hey Crin, just wondering, have you ever checked out Future Sonic CIEM's? There don't seem to be many CIEM's that only use dynamic drivers and they seem like they have some pretty interesting offerings. Also, on a side note, have you ever needed to get your CIEM's refitted due to your ear shape changing?

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #1,540 of 3,338
I'm interested in the minimum phase vs. driver-added decay question. Why is @crinacle using speakers in a room as a reference as opposed to a live unamplified concert? I personally always cringe when a jazz concert decides to use speakers to make the bass boomier.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #1,541 of 3,338
@crinacle , for someone willing to forgo S/A tier resolution and top end extension, which universal iem(s) under USD 1500 would you suggest for me to audition if i love VE8 and JH Roxanne.

I love me some meaty lower midrange and “boldness” that VE8 examplify (to me).

Tried the SD5, and while it loved its bass but there is a shoutiness in the vocal range that i found overbearing.

thanks in advance.

IMO the UE18+ Gen 2 is a cheaper "downgrade" of the VE8 with less upper midrange. SD5 would have been my pick but if that's too intense for you then maybe the IER-M9? Could be too sterile for you though so then there's the Phantom and TG334.

may i double check your list that Samba is priced at SGD2500 and not USD1500?

Amended. Samba was 2100SGD when I ranked it, didn't know that Jomo did a price increase.

Hi @crinacle do you mind giving us a quick summary of the differences between QDC's top models based on your personal experience with them?

I was thinking of the Gemini, Anole VX, 8SH/8SL/8SS..

Thank you so much!

S is the most neutral and the most different out of the 5. H, L, VX and Gemini are very similar to one another. H has a slight mid bump, L is slightly thicker than Gemini and I believe the VX is just the Gemini with more switches.

@crinacle Hey Crin, just wondering, have you ever checked out Future Sonic CIEM's? There don't seem to be many CIEM's that only use dynamic drivers and they seem like they have some pretty interesting offerings. Also, on a side note, have you ever needed to get your CIEM's refitted due to your ear shape changing?

I've had to send back CIEMs for sound issues but not for refit yet. My old shells are starting to get loose and I can't fit my 6 year old customs anymore. Futuresonics don't offer demo units or even review units so I'm waiting for a friend to get his done and then force fit his.

I'm interested in the minimum phase vs. driver-added decay question. Why is @crinacle using speakers in a room as a reference as opposed to a live unamplified concert? I personally always cringe when a jazz concert decides to use speakers to make the bass boomier.

The point of a "reference" is as a comparative point. I would use a live unamped concert as reference if there was a recording of it that I can play back on my gear as a comparison, but even then it's subject to mastering/recording/environmental bottlenecks as well as the huge caveat of aural memory that is largely unreliable after a certain length of time.

Speakers are easier in that regard as most music nowadays are tuned for 2.0 systems and not headphones. Speakers therefore are the reference as I can simply do a A/B test whenever I start to lose my sense of realism and fidelity. With a live concert not so much since you simply cannot compare a recording with live instruments and therefore such an exercise is practically useless as a reference. My "timbre reference" is piano and I have experiences with multiple grands over the years (as well as a kinda-crap upright I have at home), though again that doesn't translate 1:1 with what I may be listening as recordings are subject to additional post-processing as well as the fact that the same piano isn't used for both cases.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #1,542 of 3,338
With confirmation that Khan demo units have been sent to distributors, I dub the Khan A+.

ModelSetupCommentsSignatureBased onPrice
Noble Khan1Piezo 4BA 1DDClean yet lean, solid low-end rumble but treble get splashy. Technical but lacking naturalness for top performance.U-shapedThird party unit$2,300
Dropping the Audeze iSine 20 (Cipher) and the Noble K10 Encore to A to prevent oversaturation. Will update the changelog accordingly.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #1,543 of 3,338
Hi Crin, wondering if you have the time and chance to look into Aroma Audio (originate from Hong Kong) and their range of IEM offerings (in particular W12 of Witch Girl series, Music Box series and recently launched Aroma Audio ACE)? In Singapore, they are available for audition at AV One @ Adelphi.

I auditioned the VE8 with W12 and thought they both have different flavors to offer. The Pricing of VE8 & W12 are about the same range. ACE is a new product - with switches for different signatures, like Erlkonig by Vision Ears. Would be interested to see how VE8 vs W12 and Erlkonig vs ACE match up in your list if you could find time for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back