crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #1,516 of 3,338
Funny how people can get annoyed by a rating. I have both Andromeda and Solaris and I like both of them a lot. For me Solaris is slightly better. Consequence? Well you do not buy because of a list, but use the list to inform your further path. Ultimately a IEM needs to fit your preferences....

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #1,517 of 3,338
Funny how people can get annoyed by a rating. I have both Andromeda and Solaris and I like both of them a lot. For me Solaris is slightly better. Consequence? Well you do not buy because of a list, but use the list to inform your further path. Ultimately a IEM needs to fit your preferences....

Which is how it should be. Accusing the reviewer of being a paid shill for a competing product or spreading FUD for not thinking an IEM is perfect... that's just insanity. (And chasing the reviewer across threads to make accusations? Even more insanity.)

Listen to whatever IEMs you like, and if a reviewer disagrees with your opinion? Nobody's forcing you to read that review - go enjoy that Solaris, Phantom, CL2, Pola, or whatever.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,518 of 3,338
Catching up with previous questions.

Will post on a review on the N8 with all the details. Quite a lot has happened but TL;DR the custom version of the N8 (the only version that you can buy) is rather underwhelming and I had to modify it for me to accept it.

Many thanks, I'll look forward to reading it. I will be demoing the N8, 12t and 18t soon and hoping at least one will peak my interest.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,519 of 3,338
where will you be demoing the n8?

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,520 of 3,338
Catching up with previous questions.

Oriolus is somewhat tame for a hybrid, yes. My issue with it is possibly too little upper treble extension as well as the crazy driver flex. Not a lot of all-rounder hybrid CIEMs, maybe the W900 but they retuned it and I don't know how they sound like. You could also request the C9 Japan Domestic Market edition from Stealthsonics if you're curious.

Interesting, never heard anyone says anything about driver flex. Will have to keep that in mind. Also, while looking into CIEM's I've read about the need to have reshells for people due to their ear shape changing. Has this ever happened to you? I'd rather not shell out $1k and only have optimal fit and listening conditions for 3 years.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,521 of 3,338
MDR7550 is so nice for vocals and midrange :)

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #1,523 of 3,338
Hey Crin, have you had the chance to try QDC’s budget offerings (like the Neptune)?

I thought the Gemini was pretty fantastic when I tried it, but haven’t had the opportunity to try their cheaper stuff. (And the Neptune + BTX cable seems like an interesting to-go option)
I'm curious about the Neptune as well, I see it compared to the Comet frequently, as someone who owned the Comet and thought it wasn't very special, I'm curious what other similarly priced 1BAs offer.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,524 of 3,338
Which is how it should be. Accusing the reviewer of being a paid shill for a competing product or spreading FUD for not thinking an IEM is perfect... that's just insanity. (And chasing the reviewer across threads to make accusations? Even more insanity.)

Listen to whatever IEMs you like, and if a reviewer disagrees with your opinion? Nobody's forcing you to read that review - go enjoy that Solaris, Phantom, CL2, Pola, or whatever.
i agree 100%!

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #1,525 of 3,338
Nice that you own both models.I just sold my jupiter so that i could upgrade to one of these two.I eventually chose the andromeda because it's within my budget.While still waiting for it to arrive I don't know if it will pair well with my lg v20.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,526 of 3,338
Nice that you own both models.I just sold my jupiter so that i could upgrade to one of these two.I eventually chose the andromeda because it's within my budget.While still waiting for it to arrive I don't know if it will pair well with my lg v20.
I have used Andromeda with V20 before and I would say they are a bit too bright with V20 stock player. My V20 is korean version though and I heard that the one sell in US and Europe has different tuning.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,529 of 3,338
Which do you prefer for vocals? I've always wanted to try a CA iem, but it still seems Andromeda might be the better option for first impressions (and not to mention cheaper). But now they have the Andromeda S that makes even harder to decide...

Interested mainly because I want to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the hype and reviews, despite being pretty disappointed with their Cascade headphone. Way too much bass and too thick in the mids...

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #1,530 of 3,338
i think solaris is slightly better for singing. not sure that the increase in quality is worth the additional cost. so in summary I would take andromeda...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back