crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,141 of 3,338
The Prophile-8 is neutral (of course), the tone very flat and the attack/decay very precise. However, it sounds more like listening to monitors in a studio as opposed to real life instruments. Timbre isn't really its strong suit.

The SD5 goes in pretty much the opposite direction, it's not really the most technical but there's a colouration to its tonality that makes it really pleasant to listen to. All in all, it depends on what your definition of "correct" is.
I agree 100%

Personally I didn't think the Andromeda was very correct with some instruments.

Not so much the tuning but the presentation. The attacks and decays a a bit slow imo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #1,142 of 3,338
I also ended up buying the PP8 a few weeks back and am not regretting it. This may be a more studio like monitor (also you could say for mastering „on the go“), as someone wrote in a German audio magazine. But I damn like this sound and preferred it over all the other IEMs I heard (U18t, Phantom, LX, Flamenco, Samba, UE18pro+, Andromeda, Vega, Xelento etc.)

Edit: but that doesn’t say anything. You might prefer every other IEM. It’s always: try out and see (hear) for yourselves

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #1,143 of 3,338
Thank you for all the inputs you gave.

"Correct" maybe was a bad choice of word. I rather prefer "flavour".
I really like the Andromeda's flavour especially with CH2 (to me is very different using Andromeda's with CH2 or with WM1A for instance).
Many years ago was playing guitar in a band and listening music with Andromeda + CH2 gives me flashbacks of those times. The instruments sound very real and bold. It's like beeing on stage again...
I also have Ety's ER4XR and altough I like them and they have nothing wrong, they are for sale because I much prefer Andromeda's. Just a matter of flavour or personal taste.
Read somewhere that PP8 had similarities with 4XR. Someone who has listened to both can please give some feedback on this? TIA.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,144 of 3,338
I agree 100%

Personally I didn't think the Andromeda was very correct with some instruments.

Not so much the tuning but the presentation. The attacks and decays a a bit slow imo.
I prefer Andro as well. I think people maybe relying too much FR to how both compared when heard. Because I saw a review keep referring to the FR as it as being 'reference' turning or 'neutral.' Or 'correct.' As the overlay shows that PP8 is closer to Harman, and Andro is not even close. Although Andro sounds warm in comparison, with right amount of output impedance, Andro's warmth is reduced and sounds more 'real.'

I think Crinicle's statement that it's more like a studio monitor sounds valid. Studio monitors are used for particular purposes. Yamaha NS-10 was a popular studio monitor, but wasn't particularly good sounding speakers. I've read people say more details with the PP8, and my impression would be that it's just a bit much more upper-mids raise. It comes out too much IMO (or at least greater than my preference which I cannot consider as more details).

PP8 is a good iem, and certainly worth trying. I particularly like the shape, it feels sooo niiicccce. It's a nice curved shaped contour and feels nice against the ear. If the shape of Andro seems 'cut' or sharp, PP8 is worth trying.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,146 of 3,338
I prefer Andro as well. I think people maybe relying too much FR to how both compared when heard. Because I saw a review keep referring to the FR as it as being 'reference' turning or 'neutral.' Or 'correct.' As the overlay shows that PP8 is closer to Harman, and Andro is not even close. Although Andro sounds warm in comparison, with right amount of output impedance, Andro's warmth is reduced and sounds more 'real.'

I think Crinicle's statement that it's more like a studio monitor sounds valid. Studio monitors are used for particular purposes. Yamaha NS-10 was a popular studio monitor, but wasn't particularly good sounding speakers. I've read people say more details with the PP8, and my impression would be that it's just a bit much more upper-mids raise. It comes out too much IMO (or at least greater than my preference which I cannot consider as more details).

PP8 is a good iem, and certainly worth trying. I particularly like the shape, it feels sooo niiicccce. It's a nice curved shaped contour and feels nice against the ear. If the shape of Andro seems 'cut' or sharp, PP8 is worth trying.
Ah, the good old NS-10 monitors! :) Only a few weeks back I talked to an award winning recording and mixing engineer and he told me he can´t get enough of the NS-10 sound and still uses them for mixing, because he cares most about getting the mids "right".
So yes, the PP8 definitely sounds like a nearfield monitor. Maybe, if the new Sony Z1R holds up to its promises, I´ll get that "floor box" as a complimentary sounding IEM (at least if somebody kindly donates 2 grand on my bank account)

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,149 of 3,338
Guess what just arrived...

IMG_6825.jpg

Special thanks to ifi for helping me "upgrade" from my Nano. Will definitely help in round 2 of ranking new stuff next month.

nobody can say I "underpower" my IEMs anymore hehehe

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #1,150 of 3,338
What is the best CIEM for technical ability? I tested UERR and really like it but it just a bit of an upgrade from my current one with almost the same signature (UM custom molded TWFK + CI22955). I'm looking to try Custom Art FIBAE3/4, Lime Ears Aether/Model X. I'm a sucker for good highs so what else should I try?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #1,151 of 3,338
Guess what just arrived...

Special thanks to ifi for helping me "upgrade" from my Nano. Will definitely help in round 2 of ranking new stuff next month.

nobody can say I "underpower" my IEMs anymore hehehe

Haha, Now I know what your source is, it is a great DAC/AMP.
Like many other guys around here, I'm interested to hear what you say about the new CA Solaris.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,154 of 3,338
Sorry, I forgot to mention my budget. I will definitely try it but it is way out of my budget range. Something around $1200 - $1500? Would QDC Gemini fit here? Thank you!

I’d try either a used Prophile-8 or a Viento-R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back