crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #946 of 3,338
I'm using The Hiby R6 + iEmatch in balanced, I wonder how much effect this can have on the S class tier IEM (If I/other people thinking to get one), simply because the source might not be the best.

well, and S tier unit, out of principal, deserves a great source. That said, I think the R6 is a really good sounding DAP - at least for my preferences. I can't speak for what sonic limitations are being imposed by ieMatch however. But it's something else in the chain to consider. I actually found the Jupiter to sound better with the R6 higher output impedance than a near zero source. Doubly so for the 64 U10. Perhaps you'll find the same thing with the next IEM you get? Here's a resource to help you know what effect OI will have on your IEM. Just click on the graph icon for the IEM in question - scroll down to the measurements at various OI sources. They're overlaid with the baseline FR
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/param1.php?name_sort=1&id=1374

If the Planamic has a slow decay and high THD, god bless your souls. Even with proper EQ, it will only make it listenable and I don't think it's gonna change a lot in tiers even after EQing.
very good point

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #947 of 3,338
An EQ needs a lot of prerequisites before it will sound good. Something like the iSine series has massive advantage due to being very low in distortion. I'm not sure about how the Planamic's THD figure is, but I don't see it turning into a very good IEM post EQ. Like many EQ curves, regardless of how expensive your rig is and how science-oriented is your tuning, it can't really change what's there. If the Planamic has a slow decay and high THD, god bless your souls. Even with proper EQ, it will only make it listenable and I don't think it's gonna change a lot in tiers even after EQing.

Plus, this whole thread is not about who handles EQ the best, rather strictly about technicalities and timbre as per designed. Now luckily those iSines were meant to be used with the Ciphers, hence the possibility of it going up the tiers. But when others are designed to not have EQ then I think all the scores in the listing is worth it

Pretty sure you know these already though.

I'm sorry what?, i already see at least 5 people upset that i pointed out this fact. Did you ignore the part where i said proper where it also takes into some flaws, yeah sure the lower tier like D and down won't be massive shift. But i was meaning headphones like the W40/W30/SE535 and the ER4PT/XR that EQ very well. In the ER4 case a boost in some bass fill it out more, while some tweaks/boost on the treble/mids give that warmer crisp sig i wan't. Heck i know few who do it in the ER4 thread.

How about actually trying it before telling others who actually use it there wrong?. Even OP admitted to this but kept this list about stock sound sig's. Heck the peaky bright treble on the EX1000 could be tamed with custom 4 band Parametric EQ for the upper ranges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 7, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #948 of 3,338
I'm sorry what?, i already see at least 5 people upset that i pointed out this fact. Did you ignore the part where i said proper where it also takes into some flaws, yeah sure the lower tier like D and down won't be massive shift. But i was meaning headphones like the W40/W30/SE535 and the ER4PT/XR that EQ very well. In the ER4 case a boost in some bass fill it out more, while some tweaks/boost on the treble/mids give that warmer crisp sig i wan't. Heck i know few who do it in the ER4 thread.

How about actually trying it before telling others who actually use it there wrong?. Even OP admitted to this but kept this list about stock sound sig's. Heck the peaky bright treble on the EX1000 could be tamed with custom 4 band Parametric EQ for the upper ranges.

Not sure where you got those statistics of 5 people being upset by "EQ solves things". I was merely pointing out that there's a THD and impulse response requirement AT THE VERY MINIMUM in order to make this thing work. I'm not saying EQ don't work at all. Did you ignore that part I wrote?

Crinacle admitted to the fact that EQ can help, and I pointed out in that particular reply you were miffed about me making.

I don't understand where I made you upset or why, frankly speaking. I don't exactly have 0 experience with EQing. I had a ton of fun doing it. I just happen to post on Reddit more than here :p

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #949 of 3,338

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhah

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha
Ahhahahqhahahahahahahahaha

Ahahahhahaahhaah holy crap you are one funny lad

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #950 of 3,338
well, and S tier unit, out of principal, deserves a great source. That said, I think the R6 is a really good sounding DAP - at least for my preferences. I can't speak for what sonic limitations are being imposed by ieMatch however. But it's something else in the chain to consider. I actually found the Jupiter to sound better with the R6 higher output impedance than a near zero source. Doubly so for the 64 U10. Perhaps you'll find the same thing with the next IEM you get? Here's a resource to help you know what effect OI will have on your IEM. Just click on the graph icon for the IEM in question - scroll down to the measurements at various OI sources. They're overlaid with the baseline FR
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/param1.php?name_sort=1&id=1374

very good point

Nice comment, the thing that sold me the most about the R6 is how snappy it is, I was using the X7 II(applicable to DX200, and many others) and when only judging the speed the R6 is miles ahead, sound quality is comparable for me.
This makes it difficult for me to get the best source without compromising my usability, as that means that I will need to get AK device, which is just too expensive at the moment.

The new SP1000M is really interesting, although still very expensive.

As for the iematch, it is hard to tell like you said.
My Andromeda sounds a bit warm, although the R6 itself is also a bit warm in signature.
I think this will apply to other IEM too.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #952 of 3,338
This might come as a personal attack, but really I applaud you for spending the time to test and writing a well organized post; credit where credit is due

now to the nasty part, I feel like the whole thing is so close to a sham and not even one in this 64 page thread had questioned what you used as reference. For example, what did you use to compare with and determine that the UERM (as you claimed to be the flattest) had a treble boost? Did you make the statement based on your measurements?

For the rest its just more or less like the list made by flickernikel or something; fluff words made to sound they mean something.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #953 of 3,338
This might come as a personal attack, but really I applaud you for spending the time to test and writing a well organized post; credit where credit is due

now to the nasty part, I feel like the whole thing is so close to a sham and not even one in this 64 page thread had questioned what you used as reference. For example, what did you use to compare with and determine that the UERM (as you claimed to be the flattest) had a treble boost? Did you make the statement based on your measurements?

For the rest its just more or less like the list made by flickernikel or something; fluff words made to sound they mean something.
I see what you mean, and admittedly I do disagree with some of his opinions but that's all they are. Opinions.

Besides, this list is just to give a general idea of the iems, not something to be taken as gospel.

Some may agree, some may hear differently.

In short, YMMV.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #954 of 3,338

Like everybody else, @crinacle is rating the IEMs also according to his own taste in sound signature. But contrary to most other reviewers (including flinkenick, although I don't want to disrespect his work), he makes proper measurements, publishes them and also manages to describe the sound signature pretty well without any fluff. Of course, tastes differ and I'd never take crinacle's ranking as sole basis for a buying decision. But it helps.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #955 of 3,338

No u

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #956 of 3,338

You'd be right that nobody has really asked me what my reference was, but I did address it a while back if you took the time to comb through the 64 pages a little more:
For my reference gear which is a mix of various TOTL headphones like the HD800 (EQ'd), the Utopia/Clear and the Stax L700, various TOTL IEMs like the UE18+ and the Andromeda, and certain speakers like the LSR305...

However, those are just gear examples. My true reference is of course actual instruments, more notably guitars, violins, cellos and pianos (I personally own a basic upright though I haven't been practicising in a while). And vocals too, though less so 'cause obviously I haven't really heard my favourite artists' in real life yet.

As for the fluff words critique, you'd be half right. Descriptors in this hobby are very subjective and there is no general consensus for any term being thrown around. Not really my fault and more the hobby's. However, I tried to cut down the fluff and break down what I subjectively feel about an IEM as concisely and as technically as possible. If you're not comfortable with what I'm writing then I apologise (read: I don't and I shouldn't) and hope you'll be able to find someone else who ticks your personal requirements.

RE: UERM, I believe there's a general consensus that it is a little hot up top in the treble amongst owners. I myself hear it and I believe that's all the justification I can provide right now without someone probing my brain.

Also, I very much take an insinuation of me making subjective impressions based on measurements as a personal attack. I make measurements to benefit of the audiophile community. I certainly don't perform such a service just to be accused of listening with graphs.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #957 of 3,338
@crinacle I bought recently a demo pair of UE18+ pro V2 and I have to say that I completely agree with your point of view. There is something realy special with these iems especially on the female voices. Incredibly smooth and natural compared to some others flashgrips. Really addictive Iems.

2B56153F-7DD3-4D53-973D-850506E16930.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #958 of 3,338

Hey, we meet again! You know, seeing all your activities I kinda feel like you are really jaded with the industry. I wonder what actually is the problem and perhaps do you have any suggestions on how the industry should improve? I know this also may sound nasty and like a personal attack. But seeing as you're active in the threads just today and seemingly here to cause chaos, what are you trying to prove or do here?

Crinacle made his sources and references very clear, if you actually read his posts tbh. Then again, maybe you're too busy hunting active threads to troll on

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #960 of 3,338
@crinacle I bought recently a demo pair of UE18+ pro V2 and I have to say that I completely agree with your point of view. There is something realy special with these iems especially on the female voices. Incredibly smooth and natural compared to some others flashgrips. Really addictive Iems.

Hi, thank you for your purchase of the UE18+ universal.

You have installed the cables on the IEMs incorrecty. UE SL iems have the polarity done in reverse of CIEM 2-pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back