crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #902 of 3,338
Anyone tried the new CA andromeda-S? Heard it has a slightly different tuning than the original, but can’t seem to find any impressions on the newer signature yet.

People say it’s warmer than the original. Someone who spoke to Ken from CA said they boosted low mids which gives the impression of “more bass, less treble”.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #903 of 3,338
@productred Very interesting impressions man, I tried the 1551 at a show and loved them, can't wait to try yhe 1670. Glad to see headphones with good old dynamic drivers still find a place among the elites, and more importantly, you don't have to grow another pair of kineys to afford these.
Acoustune, sound cool, look cool, super cool.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #904 of 3,338
This mod also works for the entry level Mg IEM:
image0.jpg

Ooh boi, that 8k looks nasteh. Any sound impressions on these? And also, might I add that I am so goddamn excited to see IEMs getting modded. I can only imagine the satisfaction of achieving your preference by modifying a product. I hope we see even more mods in the future. RICED OUT EAR DILDOES FTW!

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #905 of 3,338
New owner of an Empire Ears Zeus-XR ADEL (G1 modules), and it is - to my tastes - really a "S" top tier product....

"Detail and resolution monster with the typical staging benefits of ADEL" : this is absolutely correct.

I find the ranking list pretty accurate... and the descriptions too : totally "in phase" with my proper listening sessions (Fitear 111, Parterre, 334, Andromeda, Vega, Kaiser Encore, K10, Jomo Flamenco, Samba, Aaw w900, Fidue A83, Ultimate Ears UE18, U18 Tzar, Oriolus Oriolus, EE Zeus XRA, Legend X, Dunu DK-3001, VSonic GR07, FLC8S... etc.)

Maybe I would put the Kaiser Encore in the "S- realm", but they can be very picky with tips and fit issues (fixed ! :ksc75smile:).

Very good work ! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #906 of 3,338
Wow, the Acoustune 1670ss is just great.. I went into the store fully intended to get either the Hyla CE-5 or the Sony IER-M9 but this one is a pleasant surprise for sure. It's slightly bright while maintain warm smooth vocal. Very fast transient and overall excellent technical ability. Too bad they out of stock right now so I just made a pre-order and should get them in just a few days.

Thanks @productred for the recommendation as I would have totally overlook them otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #907 of 3,338
Wow, the Acoustune 1670ss is just great.. I go into the store fully intended to get either the Hyla CE-5 or the Sony IER-M9 but this one is a pleasant surprise for sure. It's slightly bright while maintain warm smooth vocal. Very fast transient and overall excellent technical ability. Too bad they out of stock right now so I just made a pre-order and should get them in just a few days.

Thanks @productred for the recommendation as I would have totally overlook them otherwise.

Glad you like it and glad you had the chance to try, problem with Acoustune is the sales channel isn't all that developed yet outside Asia, and different from the 1551 the 1670's price, while still relatively affordable, isn't exactly in the region for blind purchases.

I had my Flamenco for a while and love my Legend X as well, but the 1670 is stealing all the ear-time for the past couple of weeks. The stock cable (and the same cable with balanced plug sold separately) are of excellent quality as well.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #908 of 3,338
Wow, the Acoustune 1670ss is just great.. I went into the store fully intended to get either the Hyla CE-5 or the Sony IER-M9 but this one is a pleasant surprise for sure. It's slightly bright while maintain warm smooth vocal. Very fast transient and overall excellent technical ability. Too bad they out of stock right now so I just made a pre-order and should get them in just a few days.

I thought the 1670SS was alright. Definitely not my type of sound signature.

I think their new ARC cables are worth looking at.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #909 of 3,338
I thought the 1670SS was alright. Definitely not my type of sound signature.

I think their new ARC cables are worth looking at.

Well, the first time I put them on I didn't thought they were too special next to my Tia Trio but after some extended listening I just like it more and more. Nothing about them stand out too much, I suppose, but I think they sound very complete and not lacking in anything. They also handle all of my preferred genre very well.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #910 of 3,338
Well, the first time I put them on I didn't thought they were too special next to my Tia Trio but after some extended listening I just like it more and more. Nothing about them stand out too much, I suppose, but I think they sound very complete and not lacking in anything. They also handle all of my preferred genre very well.

That's why we all have different individual personalities and preferences. It's a good thing.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #911 of 3,338
Damn...just got a pair of MDR7550 and they’re pretty good. Not surprised they haven’t been knocked down all that much (actually moved up) in rankings in all the time the chart was created.

It’s like the warmer version of the EX1000 with more focus on the vocals than the bass or treble. The EX1000 bass, treble, staging, imaging and layering are incredible. However, I find while the MDR7550 is less transparent, it’s also less fatiguing and intense on the ears. You can actually listen it on the background while doing something else. With the EX1000, you have to be listening and paying attention critically. The MDR7550 is more “musical” with more forward vocals (male vocals especially), but with less sub-bass extension, bass clarity and upper treble sparkle. It’s kind of like a vocalist IEM. Reminds me very much of the JH Angie I that I had before except without all the weight. Breathy life like vocals with plenty of weight and emotion. Incredible actually if this is what you like. Vocals center stage that is.

The Sony EX1000 and MDR7550 line are legit. Really glad I got these.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #913 of 3,338
@crinacle any further impressions on the Planamics? No one else has posted about it so far in the forum (I’ve checked).

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #914 of 3,338
Massdrop x MEE Planamic Mini-review

I've always respected Massdrop for the strides that they have made for the audiophile world. Bringing the vintage into the mainstream, making the expensive cheap, sprinkled in with their own philosophies of what they believe to be the best sound... and now, an interesting new piece of tech: the "Planamic", which is essentially a planar driver magnetically charged on a single plane rather than the typical two. I, not wanting to miss out on the wild and whacky experimentations of the industry, approached them for a review unit.

The Planamic is what I'd personally describe as "dark chifi V". If that doesn't make sense, it basically has boosted bass, a bump in the mid-vocals and then an early roll-off in the top end. The signature itself is of course a purely preferential thing, but what mashes my potatoes is what is of course the basis of the entire ranking list itself, the technical ability (and partly timbre/tonality).

Let's start with the bass. As a primer, the "perfect bass" will ideally be one that has a fast and clean initial hit (also known as "attack") but also linger slightly afterward (also known as "decay"). The attack of the Planamic's bass is soft, poofy and way too blunt. It isn't clean and slightly slow so the bass notes tend to overlap rather easily, creating a muddy effect. The decay is also too long, contributing to how congested the experience is as a whole.

Into the midrange, everything just sounds muffled. The tonality is all over the place, at times there's too much overtone while in others there's a void in the harmonics. It is somewhat acceptable for tenor/alto instruments as well as male vocals but falls apart in the soprano/female vocal ranges. The details get smoothed over and feels like the music is operating in a fog constantly. Which brings me to my next point...

The treble is arguably the worst aspect of the Planamic. There is such a huge contrast between the midrange and the treble that there is no snap or proper texture to any of the higher percussion instruments. Now I understand that dark, "no treble" signatures are also a preference thing so anyone can definitely enjoy the Planamic as something to match their own tastes. However, I myself have heard much better dark IEMs and there still needs definition and resolution in the treble, even if it is tuned to be more subdued.

The imaging... it's average. It's not bad but I can't find anything really good about it, much less outstanding. It's not going to break any laws of physics but hey, most IEMs are average anyways.

Conclusion

One of the harder things about asking for review units is when the unit in question is so average that I struggle to find the words to pad out the description. This "planamic" technology certainly is interesting and I'll always be in support of any new concepts that pop up within the porta-fi world. Unfortunately though, the pioneers are usually never the greatest and the Planamic is no exception; it's certainly not a bad IEM but it performs at the same level as what I'd expect a mainstream earphone would. However, I do hope that MEE and Massdrop continue to experiment around and come up with new and novel ideas. Certainly exciting times in the IEM world still.

Final ranking: D

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #915 of 3,338
Massdrop x MEE Planamic Mini-review

I've always respected Massdrop for the strides that they have made for the audiophile world. Bringing the vintage into the mainstream, making the expensive cheap, sprinkled in with their own philosophies of what they believe to be the best sound... and now, an interesting new piece of tech: the "Planamic", which is essentially a planar driver magnetically charged on a single plane rather than the typical two. I, not wanting to miss out on the wild and whacky experimentations of the industry, approached them for a review unit.

The Planamic is what I'd personally describe as "dark chifi V". If that doesn't make sense, it basically has boosted bass, a bump in the mid-vocals and then an early roll-off in the top end. The signature itself is of course a purely preferential thing, but what mashes my potatoes is what is of course the basis of the entire ranking list itself, the technical ability (and partly timbre/tonality).

Let's start with the bass. As a primer, the "perfect bass" will ideally be one that has a fast and clean initial hit (also known as "attack") but also linger slightly afterward (also known as "decay"). The attack of the Planamic's bass is soft, poofy and way too blunt. It isn't clean and slightly slow so the bass notes tend to overlap rather easily, creating a muddy effect. The decay is also too long, contributing to how congested the experience is as a whole.

Into the midrange, everything just sounds muffled. The tonality is all over the place, at times there's too much overtone while in others there's a void in the harmonics. It is somewhat acceptable for tenor/alto instruments as well as male vocals but falls apart in the soprano/female vocal ranges. The details get smoothed over and feels like the music is operating in a fog constantly. Which brings me to my next point...

The treble is arguably the worst aspect of the Planamic. There is such a huge contrast between the midrange and the treble that there is no snap or proper texture to any of the higher percussion instruments. Now I understand that dark, "no treble" signatures are also a preference thing so anyone can definitely enjoy the Planamic as something to match their own tastes. However, I myself have heard much better dark IEMs and there still needs definition and resolution in the treble, even if it is tuned to be more subdued.

The imaging... it's average. It's not bad but I can't find anything really good about it, much less outstanding. It's not going to break any laws of physics but hey, most IEMs are average anyways.

Conclusion

One of the harder things about asking for review units is when the unit in question is so average that I struggle to find the words to pad out the description. This "planamic" technology certainly is interesting and I'll always be in support of any new concepts that pop up within the porta-fi world. Unfortunately though, the pioneers are usually never the greatest and the Planamic is no exception; it's certainly not a bad IEM but it performs at the same level as what I'd expect a mainstream earphone would. However, I do hope that MEE and Massdrop continue to experiment around and come up with new and novel ideas. Certainly exciting times in the IEM world still.

Final ranking: D
Urgh, that bad?

So much for getting people's hopes up :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back