crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #3,271 of 3,338
How do you compare z1r to u18s they sound nothing alike? But i agree u18s doesn't sound like the usual 64 audio tuning imho.
u18s deviates from u18t the same way z1r deviates from z5, if that makes sense. They become more harman-like, while not trying be harman-exact: they take away a bit of warmth from the mids. u18s is one of my all time favorite IEM, fwiw.

But he ranks the legend x highly. Also ranks the Z1R highly. Both of those iems are excellent for out door use. He also ranks mest mk2 higher which has the bone conduction driver. All those iems are excellent for outdoors imho as that's my primary use case.

Bggar and crinacle rank the evo about the same and they have different opinions and look for different things. They both love legend x.

I don't always agree with their rankings either.

I never heard the evo but i love the legend x. But Crinacle definitely has good recommendations for outdoors and i don't believe his recommendations are only good for indoor quiet usage.
I can imagine legend x being great for outdoor use. z1r for outdoor is a no for me though. Too heavy (which induces microphonics at the eartips) and bright. Never heard the mest mk2. Nonetheless, glad that they work for you!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #3,272 of 3,338
u18s deviates from u18t the same way z1r deviates from z5, if that makes sense. They become more harman-like, while not trying be harman-exact: they take away a bit of warmth from the mids. u18s is one of my all time favorite IEM, fwiw.

I can imagine legend x being great for outdoor use. z1r for outdoor is a no for me though. Too heavy (which induces microphonics at the eartips) and bright. Never heard the mest mk2. Nonetheless, glad that they work for you!
When you say bright about z1r, are you referring to bright sounding or bright silver color?

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #3,273 of 3,338
When you say bright about z1r, are you referring to bright sounding or bright silver color?
Bright sounding, just to my ears with my music. It's a level of brightness that I can easily appreciate with when I'm indoor, but becomes distracting when the bass and lower-mids are masked by car noises and microphonics when I'm outdoor.

I do love the color though :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #3,274 of 3,338
Bright sounding, just to my ears with my music. It's a level of brightness that I can easily appreciate with when I'm indoor, but becomes distracting when the bass and lower-mids are masked by car noises and microphonics when I'm outdoor.

I do love the color though :)
Do you use u18s outdoors? What sub bass heavy tracks do you listen to outdoors with u18s?

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #3,275 of 3,338
I've heard a few people say lx is more technical than evo in the ee forum 🤔.
I don't hear them that way, but as with anything in this hobby, YMMV. Like you say, the music you listen to makes a huge difference, especially listening outdoors where environmental noise almost always mixes with the music. As a result, bass light music may sound overly bright or thin outdoors.

Personally, for outdoor use, I use noise cancelling wireless IEMs, which I feel is the best way to drown out ambient noise (and also the most practical, since I don't need a DAP, dongle or wires). Even with these, sitting in a crowded cafe, it's still music + ambient noise. Which is why I say high-end IEMs are a waste for outdoor use, especially in noisy environments.

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #3,276 of 3,338
I don't hear them that way, but as with anything in this hobby, YMMV. Like you say, the music you listen to makes a huge difference, especially listening outdoors where environmental noise almost always mixes with the music. As a result, bass light music may sound overly bright or thin outdoors.

Personally, for outdoor use, I use noise cancelling wireless IEMs, which I feel is the best way to drown out ambient noise (and also the most practical, since I don't need a DAP, dongle or wires). Even with these, sitting in a crowded cafe, it's still music + ambient noise. Which is why I say high-end IEMs are a waste for outdoor use, especially in noisy environments.
Iem outside of people with hearing loss was designed to hear music in loud environments like on stage and in the studio or around noisy jets and planes.

These environments are often much louder than taking a walk at the park and even on the subway. That's why i choose iems over headphones, because they isolate so well.

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #3,277 of 3,338
Does any body understand the new Crinacle ranking list
I want to upgrade from my Etymotic ER4XR
I was eying the monarch mk II because they ranked so high and was S tire in both tonality and technically
Now it seems everything is knocked down in the technicality section , even the
64 u12t , & right now I don't see any neutral IEM that gets to be s tier in tonality and technicality
So any help getting a top tier IEM excels on tonality and technicality
( and no v or u shaped)

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #3,279 of 3,338
I was eying the monarch mk II because they ranked so high and was S tire in both tonality and technically
64 u12t , & right now I don't see any neutral IEM that gets to be s tier in tonality and technicality
( and no v or u shaped)
Personally I have high respect for all that Crin done for the measurement space and I even was one of his biggest patrons, founding the measurement tool. I am grateful for everything he did in this department.

However nowadays I feel Crin flew somewhat away from reality with his rankings. I stopped treating them as any kind of clue, guide or advice. It's been too many times that he said that something is bad that turned out to be one of my favorites - and also too many times I was dissatisfied with his high-ranking IEMs.

The biggest dissapointment probably was the praised IER-Z1R, which is too bassy, has spikey treble and recessed unnatural mids with 1BA thrown there to marry the 2DDs together, and you can feel the technicalities being nothing special. Then the Hidition Viento R, which is just harshly tuned with highs bordering on being (un)acceptable and again nothing special technically - it's nowhere near being at the top of any ranking. I also can't understand high rankings of QDC monitors, having had 8CS, now also V14 and tested VX in the past - all of them rather average. Then there's completely obliterated Final Sonorous X and Lab II, which are classics treated as trashy pieces of art here. Many well known IEMs are not even on the ranking. We could go on and on.

TLDR is: do not treat rankings as a guide. Try all the best reviewed IEMs for yourself. And I would also add: prefer CIEMs over IEMs, as it's really worth it to learn how to order and use them, even is some purchases would end up in trash. Nothing can beat a great CIEM.

You can have a look at my collection in the signature section. From neutrality and technicality standpoint I can tell you what I would definitely purchase again:
1. Ambient Acoustics MAD24 - 24BA which is not only a marketing gimmick, but really work as a technical monster and neutrally tuned reference monitor.
2. Craft Ears Aurum+ - you need to ask them for 4EST implementation - a diffuse field neutral with an elegant touch of subbass and ethereal feel, at a great price for value.
3. Aroma Audio Jewel - a superb reference monitor for a high price, with several dB at the low end (still not enough for many, so you can say it's neutral), also an ethereal "electrostatic" feel like Aurum, even better technicalities but lower value for bucks.

Some things I have are very hard to come by, like for example Tralucent IEMs closed in custom shells for me by third companies. But from things you could buy straight from the street, I would get myself at least 2 out of 3 of the above CIEMs if you're a neutralhead like me.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #3,280 of 3,338
( and no v or u shaped)
It’s merely one persons opinion and a re-ranking that doesn’t include enough new products. Many of the highest ranked IEMs are also large and known to have poor fit and you should take that into consideration before purchasing anything.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3,281 of 3,338
Sep 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,282 of 3,338
( and no v or u shaped)
Try to do cross reference with other reviewers lists like Precog (his web site), Antdroid, etc.

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #3,283 of 3,338
Personally I have high respect for all that Crin done for the measurement space and I even was one of his biggest patrons, founding the measurement tool. I am grateful for everything he did in this department.

However nowadays I feel Crin flew somewhat away from reality with his rankings. I stopped treating them as any kind of clue, guide or advice. It's been too many times that he said that something is bad that turned out to be one of my favorites - and also too many times I was dissatisfied with his high-ranking IEMs.

What reality? YOUR reality? The reality in which you speak for every single person in the world? What makes YOUR opinion more realistic than mine?

I repeat what I had to say in a different thread because of people also attempting to push their reality onto others:

Let me just say a few words, hopefully without staring down a bunch of pitchforks.

I've always been a purveyor of the subjectivity of the hobby, how one shouldn't disparage the opinions of another simply on the basis of disagreement because everyone has different tastes, different ears, different heads. Everyone has different ideas of what makes a particular piece of equipment "good" or "bad", and so I always believe that if you like something, you like it. Plain and simple.

Over the many many years I've been active as a "reviewer", I've been open about this in the disclaimer section of my Ranking List (which, despite the fact that it's the one of the first things people see when they go to my page, has always been woefully ignored and glossed over by the general populace... but that's despite much effort on my part), opening disclaimers in many of my videos, and even dedicated an entire video on how the hobby is subjective, the things that would affect the objectivity of my reviews, and in general the reasons why one SHOULDN'T trust me at all. I've tried hard, and I hope that at least some of you would at least attempt to look at my content through less malicious eyes.

On that front, I truly believe that I've done all I can to fully emphasise that NOBODY holds an authoritative opinion in this hobby. Not I, not anyone in this thread, NOBODY.

But it seems that in the mad rush to find offence in what is essentially an opinion, my opinion... many folks in this thread have become the very thing they claim to be against. Clutching pearls at the few things in the sea of opinions that I as a human being naturally hold, simply because... disagreement. A disagreement between again, subjective opinions of equipment. And while the justifications for these posts may be that certain selections in my list go against some form of unrefutable "fact" (again, impossible given the subjectivity of the hobby), I repeat again:

NOBODY holds an authoritative opinion in this hobby. Not I, not anyone in this thread, NOBODY.

The fact that I have to repeat this here, in my own thread, is profoundly disappointing. We disagree, and that should be the end of that. Your reality is not everyone's reality.

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #3,284 of 3,338
What reality? YOUR reality? The reality in which you speak for every single person in the world? What makes YOUR opinion more realistic than mine?

I repeat what I had to say in a different thread because of people also attempting to push their reality onto others:

The fact that I have to repeat this here, in my own thread, is profoundly disappointing. We disagree, and that should be the end of that. Your reality is not everyone's reality.
Ok Crinacle, the thing is I can't understand how an s tier ( technically) suddenly become an A or A+
Is it that new IEMs introduced revolutionary detail retrieval and tonality now , so compared to them the likes of monarch mk II or 64 u12t ( which get praised everywhere) are now lesser IEMs ?
I red your article on your website but honestly I just don't get it!

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #3,285 of 3,338

Damn! Never seen Crin this angry. I agree everyone's reality/preference/cup of tea is different and we should never impose our likes/dislikes on others. Everyone hears differently and we must respect that. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back