crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Dec 6, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #271 of 3,338
@crinacle decided to give his opinion on the IEMs as they are. he's not dealing with how EQ can help some IEMs for this ranking, which is perfectly understandable because else where is the limit? everything can become the best and the worst at the same time. so I don't see him going for cable extravaganza anytime soon as a reason to "up" an IEM in the list.

in any case, it usually doesn't make much sense to discuss cables without discussing the source too. be it impedance or possibly horrendous crosstalk(less wouldn't be audible), the amp/DAP and IEM will matter just as much as the cable, and usually more in all but ludicrously abnormal cases.
My reply was assuming in most cases that the person must've had accessed to the same dap (not trying to dive deep into that measurement and advanced specification of the dap) during comparison but usually neglecting for the cables as he replied. And I didn't say and force on him that he should just start believing in cables at this point after all the measurement he has done and I was just sharing my point of view (opinion) as how cable would alter the sound based on my actual experiences not measurement. I have known some people who believe all DAC sound the same entirely based on their glorious measurements.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #272 of 3,338
those who would say something like "all ... are ...." when talking about devices, fall IMO into 2 main camps:
-the straw man artist.
-the guy who assumes a set of conditions in his head, but fails to present it with the opinion or claim.

it does make both wrong in the end. one by trickery, the other by omission.

I believe that the testing conditions are a big part of all those redundant arguments. one obvious problem with that is how most audiophiles don't really have much testing conditions. it usually goes : plug stuff and listen, the end. ^_^ that doesn't make for a lot to discuss or double check to find out what could have caused the differences in impressions from people to people.
so it's a case of, do anything and you'll get any results. or, test under strict conditions and obviously you'll get only the variations that can occur within those set conditions. pretty straightforward reason to get different results.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #277 of 3,338
Will you be doing a review for lz big dipper?

I also want to see the LZ Big Dipper in your ranking list,

also the noble sage. I'm choosing between the two, Noble Sage or LZ big dipper. Just want to see where it belongs on your ranking @crinacle

only if you have time to listen on those two. thanks

@Brooko generously allowed me a few days with his Big Dipper but unfortunately one of the channels died on the second day. With the 1-2 hours I had with the IEM in full working condition, I'd say it doesn't jive well with my tastes. I wasn't expecting it to die on me so I wasn't really listening critically at the time, sorry about that. That's why I've been rather silent with my opinions of the Big Dipper these days.

As for the Sage, I'll see if the audio shop has it on demo. Should be similar to the Savant, which I really really liked.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #278 of 3,338
@Brooko generously allowed me a few days with his Big Dipper but unfortunately one of the channels died on the second day. With the 1-2 hours I had with the IEM in full working condition, I'd say it doesn't jive well with my tastes. I wasn't expecting it to die on me so I wasn't really listening critically at the time, sorry about that. That's why I've been rather silent with my opinions of the Big Dipper these days.

As for the Sage, I'll see if the audio shop has it on demo. Should be similar to the Savant, which I really really liked.

I'll be looking forward to see the sage on your ranking. Thank you.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #279 of 3,338

Remind me in the new year, and we'll see if we can get it to you again for another go :wink:

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #280 of 3,338

Are you planning to add newly released Sennheiser ie800s to your list anytime soon.. tuning seems to be changed completely from its predecessor from what i was reading.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #281 of 3,338
I purchased the Sage and Encore, I really like the Savant and became enamored with the look of the Wizard special addition Sage. The Sage is very similar to the Savant with slightly more bass. I'm going to sell the Savant with an additional Mimic cable because it is very similar to the Sage. PM me if interested before I list on Audiogon.
In the last two months I lost my mind purchasing iems... First I bought the Layla's and spent a lot of time getting the fit perfect which I believe is oh so important before any evaluation. Then I bought the Encore with the Savant, and found myself spending a lot of time with the Savant. Before all that I ordered the Massdrop Kaiser 10, which should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll probably sell them when they arrive since I went with the Encore...
I spoke to Noble's guy and they gave me a deal on the SE Sage. I like them all. Really don't care how they rank, they suit my personal taste. For me the list lis a great point of reference, it let's me know whats out there, I think next time I'll visit 64 audio again.
I'm giving the Audeze I4 another shot though I treat them more like an open back headphone then an iem.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #282 of 3,338
I purchased the Sage and Encore, I really like the Savant and became enamored with the look of the Wizard special addition Sage. The Sage is very similar to the Savant with slightly more bass. I'm going to sell the Savant with an additional Mimic cable because it is very similar to the Sage. PM me if interested before I list on Audiogon.
In the last two months I lost my mind purchasing iems... First I bought the Layla's and spent a lot of time getting the fit perfect which I believe is oh so important before any evaluation. Then I bought the Encore with the Savant, and found myself spending a lot of time with the Savant. Before all that I ordered the Massdrop Kaiser 10, which should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll probably sell them when they arrive since I went with the Encore...
I spoke to Noble's guy and they gave me a deal on the SE Sage. I like them all. Really don't care how they rank, they suit my personal taste. For me the list lis a great point of reference, it let's me know whats out there, I think next time I'll visit 64 audio again.
I'm giving the Audeze I4 another shot though I treat them more like an open back headphone then an iem.
Normally people stop at the TOTL but you buy the whole range! :p

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #283 of 3,338
Yep real dumb, i just sold my Noble X and last of my Campfire iems (Nova). Guess ill be happy for a while...

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #284 of 3,338

Would you say mass drop plus is the most value ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back