crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #992 of 1,335
@crinacle
Do you in any chance plan to measure Whizzer Kylin?
I read a few comparisons to DM6 and some other iems, but I´m rather confused regarding its tonality :xf_eek:
(I loved the Haydn, but it could use a touch more bass for commuting...)

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #993 of 1,335
My rig has been set up and calibrated and is ready to go. But I wonder whether a short, simple sine sweep does justice to, let's say, changing mechanical properties of moveable parts ("membranes") over time, which may be audible...although there is also placebo, lack of sonic memory, expectation bias/optimistic listening, mood swings, insertion depth etc.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #994 of 1,335
UM 3DD-Ti, very uneven response

f7eq2hr64w021.jpg

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #996 of 1,335
@crinacle
Any chance you will get an A8 from Moondrop for review and measurements in forseeable future?
Same goes for their Kanas/Pro and Scarlett DD earphones.
Guess if Blessing isn't an anomally they should know what they are doing and some more of their range might be good.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #999 of 1,335
IMHO you'll have to play with seal.
Yes, the seal, that's what I actually meant. Attached are my first steps using the ZSN (totally raw, no smoothing or shifting applied) - 3 different results of the same earpiece, 2 of which are obviously off. Large tips didn't do it as they lost all the low end. Medium tips, a bit of spit to get a good seal, and the right alignment worked. The quality test is matching L & R graphs.

Don't forget, I just started this afternoon - after 10 mins yesterday.

ZSN .jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,000 of 1,335
Yes, the seal, that's what I actually meant. Attached are my first steps using the ZSN (totally raw, no smoothing or shifting applied) - 3 different results of the same earpiece, 2 of which are obviously off. Large tips didn't do it as they lost all the low end. Medium tips, a bit of spit to get a good seal, and the right alignment worked. The quality test is matching L & R graphs.

Don't forget, I just started this afternoon - after 10 mins yesterday.

I feel you... that pretty much mirrors my early experience with the miniDSP EARS and IEMs.

If tips are too large they'll warp as you cram them in, which means bye bye for the low end. Keep up the good spirit and eventually you'll get the hang of it!

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,001 of 1,335
I feel you... that pretty much mirrors my early experience with the miniDSP EARS and IEMs.

If tips are too large they'll warp as you cram them in, which means bye bye for the low end. Keep up the good spirit and eventually you'll get the hang of it!
Makes sense as that's my experience with my ears as well. I feel that there's got to be good way to figure out if the fit is proper or not. When they are in my ear, and listening to sounds, I can determine proper fit or not, but I'm not so confident for rigs that do not get that feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,002 of 1,335

Attached are my very raw graphs of the modded Hifi Walker A1 and the Hill Audio S8. I finally got graphically what I grossly dislike: that hump in the mid bass area. Feels like poking all available vents...there are three. A pity as the S8's midrange is fantastic.

HFW A1.jpg S8.jpg

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,003 of 1,335
Makes sense as that's my experience with my ears as well. I feel that there's got to be good way to figure out if the fit is proper or not. When they are in my ear, and listening to sounds, I can determine proper fit or not, but I'm not so confident for rigs that do not get that feedback.
That's a really good point. The world's most expensive dummy heads still can't tell you whether the IEM is properly seated and sealed or not.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #1,004 of 1,335
Attached are my very raw graphs of the modded Hifi Walker A1 and the Hill Audio S8. I finally got graphically what I grossly dislike: that hump in the mid bass area. Feels like poking all available vents...there are three. A pity as the S8's midrange is fantastic.

Do you have a good idea if the imbalance on the Walker is fit related or not? How do you tell? Does the S8 consistently come out like that (with channels closer matched)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back