Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 14, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #2,851 of 3,608
Are you using the stock op amps? If not make sure that your op-amps are compatible with SB X7.

My first SB X7 stopped working suddenly after I upgraded to metal can op amp, maybe the OP AMPS were bad.

Luckily I had warranty so I received a brand new from creative.

I was using AD797 which the original poster in this thread recommended (among others).

English site of the store where I bought these:
https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk...8?queryFromSuggest=true?queryFromSuggest=true

The original reviewer stated that supply voltage for the 4 replaceable op-amps is 22.3 volt . The ones I bought are only rated for 15V. Maybe that was the problem. I never went any higher then 20% Volume on the speakers and 30% low gain on the headphones, though.

I am going to use Burson Audio V5i though, starting today after work.
Burson explicitly lists them as a replacement for NJM2214D (Dual) and LME49710 (Single). They are rated for 32V max.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2,852 of 3,608
looks good how is the sound quality of E-Mu Xm7? btw I heard this speakers can be used for monitoring too.
I love my E-MU XM7's. Sound is great. Bass is decent as are the mids. I'd still like a dedicated sub, but I've enjoyed them. They are large so make sure you have the desk space. :)

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,854 of 3,608
Anyone have a suggestion on a good ac3 encoder for the x7. Currently I use my motherboards codecs(which work great) for this however all to often with Windows updates they break and need to be reinstalled and tweaked.
Specifially I would prefer source that has no dsp simply ac3

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,856 of 3,608
Anyone know if Creative is going to keep supporting this device and update the firmware/software? It's been a long time since anything was last updated according to the last software download date.
They have forsaken us years ago.

Anyone have a suggestion on a good ac3 encoder for the x7. Currently I use my motherboards codecs(which work great) for this however all to often with Windows updates they break and need to be reinstalled and tweaked.
Specifially I would prefer source that has no dsp simply ac3
Why would you want one if you can simply send 5.1 LPCM to the X7?

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #2,857 of 3,608
They have forsaken us years ago.

Why would you want one if you can simply send 5.1 LPCM to the X7?

In my experience the x7's SBX surround audio sounded better having an optical ac3 source. X7's surround just didn't sound as distinct when connected via USB. PC is not connected to x7 except via optical.

Then just use the Android app to control X7.

edit: I do not see an option for 5.1 LPCM. How would I set this on the optical source?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,858 of 3,608
I added a full set of Burson V5i yesterday. I really like the sound signature. Sound is very well rounded and detailed while the stock OPAMPs sounded a little too analytical and thin with my Beyer T5p.2.

PmaJQfM.jpg

I love my E-MU XM7's. Sound is great. Bass is decent as are the mids. I'd still like a dedicated sub, but I've enjoyed them. They are large so make sure you have the desk space. :)

After some optimization (getting a 3rd party 144W power adapter, setting them to 4 Ohm + high power mode as was suggested by Creative support) the bass is actually quite good. Also make sure that the line between the tweeters and the woofers is the same height as your ears. You will have to elevate them or at least put them on some angled stand so they fire slightly upwards.

Things I used:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0721MKCZJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.thomann.de/de/the_takustik_isopad.htm

2tFMzYw.jpg

In my experience the x7's SBX surround audio sounded better having an optical ac3 source. X7's surround just didn't sound as distinct when connected via USB. PC is not connected to x7 except via optical.

edit: I do not see an option for 5.1 LPCM. How would I set this on the optical source?

You cannot. Optical only supports uncompressed stereo or encoded (and thus compressed) 5.1 via Dolby Digital or DTS. If you want to use the SPDIF input with a 5.1 source that source has to be able to encode Dolby Digital.

Either mod your mainboard's Realtek with these hacked drivers floating around (what you probably already did) or buy another soundcard that is capable of encoding Dolby Digital Live. Cheap solutions that come to mind are the Asus Xonar U3 or the Creative Omni 5.1. Older Creative internal cards also support it and are probably cheap to get on the used market, but drivers can be a hassle when using Windows 10.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #2,859 of 3,608
I added a full set of Burson V5i yesterday. I really like the sound signature. Sound is very well rounded and detailed while the stock OPAMPs sounded a little too analytical and thin with my Beyer T5p.2.

PmaJQfM.jpg

After some optimization (getting a 3rd party 144W power adapter, setting them to 4 Ohm + high power mode as was suggested by Creative support) the bass is actually quite good. Also make sure that the line between the tweeters and the woofers is the same height as your ears. You will have to elevate them or at least put them on some angled stand so they fire slightly upwards.

Things I used:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0721MKCZJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2tFMzYw.jpg

You cannot. Optical only supports uncompressed stereo or encoded (and thus compressed) 5.1 via Dolby Digital or DTS. If you want to use the SPDIF input with a 5.1 source that source has to be able to encode Dolby Digital.

Either mod your mainboard's Realtek with these hacked drivers floating around (what you probably already did) or buy another soundcard that is capable of encoding Dolby Digital Live. Cheap solutions that come to mind are the Asus Xonar U3 or the Creative Omni 5.1. Older Creative internal cards also support it and are probably cheap to get on the used market, but drivers can be a hassle when using Windows 10.
Thank you will check these options out eventually as the realtor drivers work just an ongoing hassle at times. I like the idea of an external usb solution. However are there any benefits to looking at internals besides cost, i.e latency....an internal card I saw was the xonar dx apparently has native Dolby digital encoding?!

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #2,860 of 3,608
Since this is strictly digital they aren't likely any differences between these cards. Apparently the Xonar DX also has DDL encoding.

I don't see why this is necessary though.

While the X7 is a very nice DAC + AMP for headphones and an OK amplifier for passive speakers, its headphone surround isn't all that great. It only works with a 5.1 input while more modern solutions use 7.1.

In my opinion the best headphone surround solution is the Sennheiser GSX-1000. However, since everybody's physiognomy is different others may work better for you. You can also use Equalizer APO which has dedicated profiles for all consumer headphone surround solutions on the market. And it's free.

https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/discussion/general/thread/3a03d8df/

I was also a big fan of this HRTF stuff. However, the better your heapdhones the worse they sound in my opinion. I am back to plain stereo, I always enable direct mode when using headphones with the X7.

The SPDIF In on the X7 is mostly for consolue use or if you are having issues with jitter or latency on the USB connection.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #2,861 of 3,608

You don't, spdif doesn't support uncompressed 5.1 audio

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #2,862 of 3,608

PmaJQfM.jpg

Things I used:

2tFMzYw.jpg

does the V5i fit perfectly on SB X7 with the back cover? and did you compare them with Sparkos op amps?

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #2,863 of 3,608
does the V5i fit perfectly on SB X7 with the back cover? and did you compare them with Sparkos op amps?

The V5i fit nicely, I can still close the back cover. No, I did not want to import the Sparkos, because that's gets quite expensive and stuff like this tends to get stuck at customs for ages.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #2,864 of 3,608
The V5i fit nicely, I can still close the back cover. No, I did not want to import the Sparkos, because that's gets quite expensive and stuff like this tends to get stuck at customs for ages.
Didn't have that problem when I bought the Sparkos.

I did. If you can afford it, go for Sparkos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back