Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #2,836 of 3,608
Switch the speaker impedance from 4 to 8 ohm by using the switch on the back (with device *unplugged*)

It is already on 8 Ohm because that's what the manual suggested. Its a relatively small room, though.

3yN6Sru.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,838 of 3,608
I ordered a cheap 144W 24V power supply of Amazon. It is made for LED strips. I will report back to you once it arrives on Wednesday.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2,842 of 3,608
looks good how is the sound quality of E-Mu Xm7? btw I heard this speakers can be used for monitoring too.
Overall they sound rather neutral if not somewhat boring. So yes, they probably are decent monitors. I am using the "neutral" mode in the X7 control panel as ist increases perceived sound stage without sacrificing detail, in direct mode the presentation is rather congested and "in front of you". In neutral mode the overall tonality is somewhat similar to what I remember of a pair AKG K702s I once owned.

However, if I am being honest, I cannot give you an educated opinion on that. These are my first somewhat better speakers. They are the best speakers I ever owned, but that doesn't say much. Bass isn't the strongest, but precise. Detail retrieval and instrument placement are good. They work great for Jazz and classical music. For multiplayer shooters I prefer headphones, though. The elevated highs of my Beyerdynamics help me pick out steps much better.

I can compare it with:

Creative T40.
Hands down better overall. While decent for their size the T40 still have the typical tinny "small speaker" sound signature and lack any kind of subbass.

I do recommend them, they pair nicely with the X7, build quality is solid and they still should fit on most desks quite well. I can however only guess wether one could buy better passive speakers for the same kind of money, especially on the used market.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #2,843 of 3,608
Overall they sound rather neutral if not somewhat boring. So yes, they probably are decent monitors. I am using the "neutral" mode in the X7 control panel as ist increases perceived sound stage without sacrificing detail, in direct mode the presentation is rather congested and "in front of you". In neutral mode the overall tonality is somewhat similar to what I remember of a pair AKG K702s I once owned.

However, if I am being honest, I cannot give you an educated opinion on that. These are my first somewhat better speakers. They are the best speakers I ever owned, but that doesn't say much. Bass isn't the strongest, but precise. Detail retrieval and instrument placement are good. They work great for Jazz and classical music. For multiplayer shooters I prefer headphones, though. The elevated highs of my Beyerdynamics help me pick out steps much better.

I can compare it with:

Creative T40.
Hands down better overall. While decent for their size the T40 still have the typical tinny "small speaker" sound signature and lack any kind of subbass.

I do recommend them, they pair nicely with the X7, build quality is solid and they still should fit on most desks quite well. I can however only guess wether one could buy better passive speakers for the same kind of money, especially on the used market.

You always have the option to add powered woofer for better Bass response.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,844 of 3,608
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,845 of 3,608

I can compare it with:

Creative T40.

Btw what type of table you using? I'm looking for a table for dual monitors setup.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2,846 of 3,608
Feb 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,847 of 3,608
When I opened the OPAMP bracket today it smelled kind of charred. This makes me worry.

Is this

- because I was using a third party power adapter
- changed to OPAMPs
- normal, because the output stage gets warms which makes its coating smell?

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #2,850 of 3,608
Are you using the stock op amps? If not make sure that your op-amps are compatible with SB X7.

My first SB X7 stopped working suddenly after I upgraded to metal can op amp, maybe the OP AMPS were bad.

Luckily I had warranty so I received a brand new from creative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back