Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 22, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #167 of 2,345
What is Scout Mode?

EDIT: oh I found that answer..something for gaming that allows you to cheat with dynamic compression. It has nothing to do with music enjoyment.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #168 of 2,345
Having used the E5 for a day, I can kind of understand why Scout Mode is left out. The E5, in many ways, is more intended for smartphone user than any of the E series so far. The integration of SBX Studio Pro into the amp itself is actually a brilliant move. You can do it on PC or download app onto your smartphone to adjust the setting, then with one switch on the amp itself, you can enable / disable it without going back to your smartphone. That means you can basically have E5 remember your favorite setting, but still have a choice on whether to use it or not. Overall, that works out really well.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #169 of 2,345
  Having used the E5 for a day, I can kind of understand why Scout Mode is left out. The E5, in many ways, is more intended for smartphone user than any of the E series so far. The integration of SBX Studio Pro into the amp itself is actually a brilliant move. You can do it on PC or download app onto your smartphone to adjust the setting, then with one switch on the amp itself, you can enable / disable it without going back to your smartphone. That means you can basically have E5 remember your favorite setting, but still have a choice on whether to use it or not. Overall, that works out really well.

Cool!
So how's the sound quality?

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #170 of 2,345
Compare it to the FiiO E18 and Ifi audio iDSD nano please, as those two are in the same price range

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #171 of 2,345

Cool!
So how's the sound quality?

Still a bit too early to say for certain but overall I am very positive. I can tell the amp section is definitely solid, neutral overall with a touch of warmth. I won't call it top-tier just yet, but it is pretty close to one.

Compare it to the FiiO E18 and Ifi audio iDSD nano please, as those two are in the same price range

Need more listening to say for sure, but I can say that E5 amp section's sound signature is pretty similar to that of E18. As purely an amp, I won't call one is obviously superior to the other. E18 doesn't have a slightly more expensive soundstage, but E5's EQ / SBX is a lot more useful on tuning for the 'right' sound. As for iDSD nano - it can't be used as a pure amp and I know that it doesn't have that great on an amp section. If it is pure SQ, it won't likely going to out perform E5. For DAC+amp performance, I can't say for now as I haven't used E5 on my PC yet, but mostly as pure amp as well as its Bluetooth function.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #172 of 2,345
How could you see how scout mode was left out?  It doesn't cost them a penny to add it!  There's literally no real reason for them to remove it!  It's software, not hardware afaik, and it's already on the E3.  It wouldn't be hard at all for them to add it. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #173 of 2,345
  How could you see how scout mode was left out?  It doesn't cost them a penny to add it!  There's literally no real reason for them to remove it!  It's software, not hardware afaik, and it's already on the E3.  It wouldn't be hard at all for them to add it. 

You fail to understand my point. The way I see it, since all the EQ is stored inside the E5 itself and not on the PC, having Scout Mode is going to be a major interference to the music (unless you somehow want to hear the singer coming, which I bet not). Thus they have to leave Scout Mode out of the EQ system or else there is no way to use the SBX as a standalone feature for music playback. For example, if there is Scout Mode built into E5, then you can't use the SBX switch for music playback as it will enable all the EQ setting, including Scout Mode, and pretty much ruin the music itself. After all, you are not trying to gain advantage over the singer and shoot him/her down in the music. So it is down to (1) having Scout Mode but can't use SBX for any music playback excpet on PC, or (2) doesn't have Scout Mode but you have an useable SBX on all devices. The choice is pretty clear. After all, it is not designed for gamer, but portable music listener first.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #174 of 2,345

You fail to understand my point. The way I see it, since all the EQ is stored inside the E5 itself and not on the PC, having Scout Mode is going to be a major interference to the music (unless you somehow want to hear the singer coming, which I bet not). Thus they have to leave Scout Mode out of the EQ system or else there is no way to use the SBX as a standalone feature for music playback. For example, if there is Scout Mode built into E5, then you can't use the SBX switch for music playback as it will enable all the EQ setting, including Scout Mode, and pretty much ruin the music itself. After all, you are not trying to gain advantage over the singer and shoot him/her down in the music. So it is down to (1) having Scout Mode but can't use SBX for any music playback excpet on PC, or (2) doesn't have Scout Mode but you have an useable SBX on all devices. The choice is pretty clear. After all, it is not designed for gamer, but portable music listener first.

You fail to understand Scout Mode.  It's an option.  Completely an option that you enable and disable.  By default, it's disabled.  It doesn't effect anything when it's disabled. 

Not just any option.  It doesn't matter what else is enabled or disabled, it is dependant on only itself.  SBX Pro can be on or off, it doesn't effect Scout Mode.  What /does/ effect scout mode is if you have it enabled or not.  NOTHING ELSE effects Scout Mode. 

That's why there's no reason for them not to add it. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #176 of 2,345
Can I send the audio over NFC ? or if I send digital audio data over Bluetooth, will SQ degraded?

I am planning to use E5 with my samsung s4 and sennheiser IE8

Do you offer another DAC AMP comparable to E5?

Where can I pre order this DAC/Amp?

Too much questions sorry 
etysmile.gif

I am very excited about this product because of nfc and bluetooth tech it uses. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #177 of 2,345
  Can I send the audio over NFC ? or if I send digital audio data over Bluetooth, will SQ degraded?

I am planning to use E5 with my samsung s4 and sennheiser IE8

Do you offer another DAC AMP comparable to E5?

Where can I pre order this DAC/Amp?

Too much questions sorry 
etysmile.gif

I am very excited about this product because of nfc and bluetooth tech it uses. 

NFC is just a method of connecting to bluetooth. 

The audio will be degraded from 192/96khz down to 48khz no matter if you're using Bluetooth or wired on mobile. 

I am also interested in alternatives now that I know it doesn't have Scout Mode.  I'm interested in SBX Pro, but Scout Mode was the real kicker for me.  I hope there's an alternative to Scout Mode. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #178 of 2,345

NFC is just a method of connecting to bluetooth. 

The audio will be degraded from 192/96khz down to 48khz no matter if you're using Bluetooth or wired on mobile. 

I am also interested in alternatives now that I know it doesn't have Scout Mode.  I'm interested in SBX Pro, but Scout Mode was the real kicker for me.  I hope there's an alternative to Scout Mode. 

I also started to look elsewhere because of I learned that digital audio will be degraded to 16 bit / 44.1 khz on android devices over usb... but for IOS it is 24 bit / 48kHz

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #179 of 2,345

I also started to look elsewhere because of I learned that digital audio will be degraded to 16 bit / 44.1 khz on android devices over usb... but for IOS it is 24 bit / 48kHz

I'm hoping this is a limitation with the actual mobile devices and not the E5 itself, as it wouldn't make much sense to me.  If it can do USB 192khz (or 96khz with SBX Pro working), then you'd think it'd do it on phones as well.  Maybe it's a limitation with the mobile software, maybe it's a limitation with the mobile devices, but it wouldn't make sense for it to be a limitation of the mobile device. 

SBX pro is still really awesome with SBX surround and all, but they're making some really stupid decisions with their line up right now. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #180 of 2,345
  I'm hoping this is a limitation with the actual mobile devices and not the E5 itself, as it wouldn't make much sense to me.  If it can do USB 192khz (or 96khz with SBX Pro working), then you'd think it'd do it on phones as well.  Maybe it's a limitation with the mobile software, maybe it's a limitation with the mobile devices, but it wouldn't make sense for it to be a limitation of the mobile device. 

SBX pro is still really awesome with SBX surround and all, but they're making some really stupid decisions with their line up right now. 

I think limitation is because of micro USB port capabilities, but if this is true, all other portable DACs will be 16bit/44.1kHz with android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back