Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #136 of 2,345
Just found this Head Fi ad, and it takes me to here:

http://www.head-fi.org/soundblaster

Sound Blaster is now on Head Fi, so hopefully they might find this thread as well! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741865/sound-blaster-is-now-on-head-fi

Sadly the release date got pushed from October, to November, and now to December for us in the U.S.  Probably so they can release it alongside their X7, which somehow has Scout Mode while the E5 doesn't. 

Since when did "Flagship" products lose features and abilities that cheaper versions had? 

However, they are allowing a few more demos of the E5, so hopefully some of you guys in Europe can see if it has Scout Mode on it. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #137 of 2,345
  What about the advanced features tab?  The E1 screenshot above has that, does the E5 have that also? 

I still don't understand why they wouldn't have it...  Makes no sense not to include something. 

If it gets released and it doesn't have it, anyone know of an alternative method of implementing it?  I know you can get a similar effect with the EQ, but it's not the same. 

Nope, no advanced features tab as well.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #139 of 2,345
  Well that's a bunch of crap.  What's in the advanced tab section anyways? 

It is setting for both E1 and E3 to choose whether to use the 2nd headphone jack either as a mic-in or as headphone-out when connected to a PC. Given E5 already has a separated mic-in jack, the 2nd headphone jack doesn't need to do a double duty, therefore there is no need to have an advanced feature tab. You are not losing anything there.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #140 of 2,345
  A really great news to all of you who are waiting for the E5. I just got words from Creative that the E5 should have an output impedance of just 2.2 ohm, instead of the 10 ohm that we had speculated. That'll make it a lot more compatible to IEM user.

Good news indeed!  Thank you!

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #141 of 2,345
I am still confused over the absence of scout mode, though I have settled my heart on a ifi audio iDSD nano since I do not need all the other features and I want a better DAC. I remember reading about scout mode on the Creative Singapore E5 page 2 months ago but now its not there.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #142 of 2,345
I am still confused over the absence of scout mode, though I have settled my heart on a ifi audio iDSD nano since I do not need all the other features and I want a better DAC. I remember reading about scout mode on the Creative Singapore E5 page 2 months ago but now its not there.

I thought the CS4398 dac in E5 is superior to the Burr Brown in iDSD Nano?

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #143 of 2,345
The burrbrown is better. Heck, even the Texas Instruments DAC found in the E18 is better. The burr brown is one of the better dacs found in a dac/amp at that kind of price.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #145 of 2,345
  I thought the CS4398 dac in E5 is superior to the Burr Brown in iDSD Nano?

The burrbrown is better. Heck, even the Texas Instruments DAC found in the E18 is better. The burr brown is one of the better dacs found in a dac/amp at that kind of price.

Well, if you go by data sheet, CS4398 is actually the better chip. However, as with all electronics, implementation is the key. Therefore there is not much point on saying one is better than the other on the chip alone.

I just got an email from Creative about the X7.

Will be visiting SITEX next week. Hopefully will have the change to give both E5 and X7 a listen.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #146 of 2,345

Agreed, the idsd is awesome.  I haven't tried the nano but I had the iDSD micro for a couple weeks before trading it for a bunch of eq I couldn't refuse.

The absence of scout mode makes the decision more difficult now but I think I'm still leaning towards picking up the e5.  For users who are interested in a dac/amp for use outside of a computer configuration, I think there are plenty of other options to consider, though the price point of the E5 makes it still very competitive.  Users who are looking for something to integrate in their computer setup, I think the e5 is fits the bill perfectly.  Plus, there's the option to use it as a decent standalone unit.

One last note, I think creatives sb software is under-rated.  For some reason, changes made on the os x version vs. the windows are more subtle.  Both platforms respond well to software adjustments.  I set the various SB Pro Studio settings between 5% to 20%, much lower than the defaults.  The default settings are terrible -- changes the character of the audio way too much.  But with moderation, I think users will be pleasantly surprised.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #147 of 2,345
Got a notification email from Creative Labs, and the E5 is ready to order 
biggrin.gif

Does anyone know if it is compatible with Linux by any chance?

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #148 of 2,345
As I was looking for more information before pulling the trigger, this is what the E5 uses as HP amp IC:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf

I am a bit concerned as the TI spec is pretty clear about using serial output resistors of no less than 10 ohms (39 ohms in their example schematic).
Reason for that, it seems that the TPA6120A2 does not like capacity outputs at all, and the serial resistor smooths out eventual HP capacitive impedance.
IMO 10 ohms (their absolute minimum), and even more 39 ohms, are quite high output impedances.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #149 of 2,345
I am a bit concerned as the TI spec is pretty clear about using serial output resistors of no less than 10 ohms (39 ohms in their example schematic).
Reason for that, it seems that the TPA6120A2 does not like capacity outputs at all, and the serial resistor smooths out eventual HP capacitive impedance.
IMO 10 ohms (their absolute minimum), and even more 39 ohms, are quite high output impedances.

I am guessing you haven't read my previous posts with the same concern:

... The only thing I am a bit worry is that TPA6120A2. It is a good sounding chip but normal implementation usually has a 10 ohm output impedance.

... TPA6120A2 is actually quite common, which you can find it on Sony PHA-1 and Fostex HP-P1. As I mentioned, the problem with TPA6120A2 is that it requires a 10ohm output impedance to be stable. There are ways around it, but often manufacturer just go with the easiest route by using a pair of 10ohm resistors on the output and that's not the best way to implement TPA6120A2. I am hoping Creative won't do that but likely they are.

Then comes the good news:

A really great news to all of you who are waiting for the E5. I just got words from Creative that the E5 should have an output impedance of just 2.2 ohm, instead of the 10 ohm that we had speculated. That'll make it a lot more compatible to IEM user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back