Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #107 of 2,345
I'm really interested in this product, not because it's portable (although the more I think about it the more I like that feature), but because it's external to my pc. A lot of people talk about how horrid emi is to high quality headphones (I'm not too sure how much of this is just paranoid thoughts and how much is real) and that external dacs and amps are the best solutions. I was settled on getting the sb z vs Asus stx when I started taking emi into a larger consideration. The shield on the z honestly doesn't look all that good and more of just a marketing display. Plus, it seems the sb evo zxr (headset) works on Linux, so I'd imagine most things with the sb abxx1 chip will workon Linux as well hopefully. The z does not work on Linux at all. Long story short, that's why I'm looking into getting the e5 now. I just wanted to ask a few questions about it too those who have heard it.

1. How does it compare in quality to the sb z? How about the stx, or u5/u7?
  2. Creative's site doesn't really say much about the gaming features it has; can you confirm if it has scout mode? The e3 has it, so I'd assume the e5 has it but better safe than sorry.
  3. Just to confirm, does it have all the other features that the z has like sbx surround, crystallizer, volume plus, voiceFX, bass boost, etc?

I plan on using this mainly for desktop use but occasionally at lan parties and on the road with my Philips fidelio x2s which should come in the mail any day now. The main purpose is for gaming, but when I'm not gaming I'm listening to music, and I spend the majority of my day on my computer (benefits of homeschool).

As far as I can tell, the e5s have /every/ feature the z has, plus portability, the new chip, somewhat better sound quality, and better mics, plus the fact that it's external. The only downside I have found is that it doesn't have Dolby decoding our Dolby headphones. This doesn't concern me too much, as I'm sure sbx surround makes up for it. Everyone says that it's the best surround sound software anyways.

Please correct me where I'm wrong and add some thoughts that you have as far as this vs the z/stx/u5, etc goes. Thanks!

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #108 of 2,345
I'm really interested in this product, not because it's portable (although the more I think about it the more I like that feature), but because it's external to my pc. A lot of people talk about how horrid emi is to high quality headphones (I'm not too sure how much of this is just paranoid thoughts and how much is real) and that external dacs and amps are the best solutions. I was settled on getting the sb z vs Asus stx when I started taking emi into a larger consideration. The shield on the z honestly doesn't look all that good and more of just a marketing display. Plus, it seems the sb evo zxr (headset) works on Linux, so I'd imagine most things with the sb abxx1 chip will workon Linux as well hopefully. The z does not work on Linux at all. Long story short, that's why I'm looking into getting the e5 now. I just wanted to ask a few questions about it too those who have heard it.

1. How does it compare in quality to the sb z? How about the stx, or u5/u7?
  2. Creative's site doesn't really say much about the gaming features it has; can you confirm if it has scout mode? The e3 has it, so I'd assume the e5 has it but better safe than sorry.
  3. Just to confirm, does it have all the other features that the z has like sbx surround, crystallizer, volume plus, voiceFX, bass boost, etc?

I plan on using this mainly for desktop use but occasionally at lan parties and on the road with my Philips fidelio x2s which should come in the mail any day now. The main purpose is for gaming, but when I'm not gaming I'm listening to music, and I spend the majority of my day on my computer (benefits of homeschool).

As far as I can tell, the e5s have /every/ feature the z has, plus portability, the new chip, somewhat better sound quality, and better mics, plus the fact that it's external. The only downside I have found is that it doesn't have Dolby decoding our Dolby headphones. This doesn't concern me too much, as I'm sure sbx surround makes up for it. Everyone says that it's the best surround sound software anyways.

Please correct me where I'm wrong and add some thoughts that you have as far as this vs the z/stx/u5, etc goes. Thanks!

U r right, pcs tend to have quite horrid emi. Mine has quite a fair bit. If u just want to use this as a USB sac and dont neer its other features, i suggest u go for either the FiiO E18 or the ifi audio idsd nano. Both have better internal dacs then the E5 and leaves more room for improvement when the internal amp is replaced by another amp connected to the line out.

Between the E18 and IDSD nano, the idsd nano has an even better dac but lousier amp, but this means even more room for improvement with an external amp.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #109 of 2,345
I was really looking forward to the E5's features, that was the main reason I'm looking at getting it.  I'm a gamer primarily, so the SBX surround and scout mode features really apply to me.  Thanks for your reply none the less though.

I will keep the other recommendations in mind, but I think they'd drive the price range up a bit (my original price range for the DAC/sound card was no more than $100), and I'd have to add a mic on top of that.  Plus, no surround features, or scout mode, or any of the other features the E5 has...

Thanks though. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #110 of 2,345
I never liked surround. Gives sound a bit of a weird, hollowy, echoey, kind of feel. Scout mode may also negatively enhance other parts of the sound. I normally depend on just how well a headphone spaces the sound.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #111 of 2,345
The entire point of these features is for gaming usage... Why would you ever use Scout mode for music?  No offense, but that's kinda silly if you ask me... Scout mode spells out in its description that it turns up the footstep frequencies, and turns down all the other ones... It can be enabled or disabled by hotkeys, or simple clicks in their software suite.  Surround is mainly for gaming, but some say it helps music too.  It all depends on what phones you're using for them.  I'm using the X2's so I'll see how they work with these. 

I take it that you have used these before?  I guess that does confirm it has scout mode and surround like I thought it did, but I just wanted to be sure as the website doesn't mention it at all.  Thanks. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #112 of 2,345
The entire point of these features is for gaming usage... Why would you ever use Scout mode for music?  No offense, but that's kinda silly if you ask me... Scout mode spells out in its description that it turns up the footstep frequencies, and turns down all the other ones... It can be enabled or disabled by hotkeys, or simple clicks in their software suite.  Surround is mainly for gaming, but some say it helps music too.  It all depends on what phones you're using for them.  I'm using the X2's so I'll see how they work with these. 

I take it that you have used these before?  I guess that does confirm it has scout mode and surround like I thought it did, but I just wanted to be sure as the website doesn't mention it at all.  Thanks. 

I meant even for gaming, when using scout mode. I once used a similar feature and it overenhanced another part of the sound.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #113 of 2,345
Scout mode is known to turn down the bass a lot, and some treble.  This is a sad downside to it, but some people will swear by it when it comes to performance.  I think that I'll change it depending on what game mode I'm playing, like in Metro it won't matter as much about footsteps as it's just constant explosions (so I'll want the bass to be turned up a bit), but on something like Caspian Border, you'd like to hear footsteps in a lot of situations.  I can see why I'd want it on at times and off at times.  Still, some swear by this feature.  I'm really interested in how it turns out. 

Thanks for your input though.  It's always good to hear different opinions and different sides of each story.  I will take what you have said into consideration. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #114 of 2,345
Creative got back to me and said they will release the E5 at the end of November and that he output power is measured at 56mW @ 600 ohms.

I am planning on using the device to connect with bluetooth to a source like my phone or creative player with apt x to my helmet with helmet speakers or maybe a mini speaker if I can find one thin enough to fit the bill. Because it has a line in that can be used as a mic I was also thinking about using it for calls but I don't think that taking calls on a motorcycle is a great idea.  The helmet speakers I was planning on using have an impedance of 60 Ohms. Does this mean the output power will be 560mW at 60 Ohms?

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #115 of 2,345
Even if u know the power outputted at said ohms, it will never apply to real world usage. U still have not taken into account sensitivity of the headphone, which also plays a part in how how loud a headphone will go.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #116 of 2,345
I'm still hoping that someone out there who has tried/seen this product can compare it to the SB Z in terms of sound quality.  My main debate right now is Z vs E5, but possibly (Z vs. E5) vs (STX vs unknown).

Thanks for the help guys!

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #117 of 2,345
  On to the meat:
Similarly to the m50s, the f111 pairing sounded close to what I get out of the DX90 on low gain. The sound is comparable to the DX90 in terms of separation, clarity and soundstage (although to my ears it sounded marginally larger). The comparison may not be fair because I believe my DX90 is completely burnt in with at least 350-400 hours on it, while the E5 is a new set. Overall I'd say that the sound is pretty neutral, and slightly clinical/analytical. 

Bass is slightly stronger/more authoritative on the E5, but slightly less defined, and not as resolving. Definitely felt more subbass presence. The bass difference was the most discernible to me. 

Vocals were a tad dry for my tastes, lots of detail and clarity but less... emotion? I would use clinical/analytical here as a descriptor. It reminded me vaguely of my experience listening to the Hidition NT6 universal demos. Sometimes mids felt overwhelmed by the bass response, although I didn't think there was any bleed. I'd imagine that the dual Sabre DACs in the DX90 are already quite analytical, but it appears that this Cirrus Logic DAC betters it. Can't remember if my new DX90 sounded this way though.

Treble was pretty impressive as well, no spikes or peakiness but again, slightly harsh. In a tolerable way. Might be a newness issue, where burn in will remove the treble sheen. Cymbal timbre sounded a little more artificial as compared with the DX90, but good speed and transient response.

In a nutshell, I was impressed, and am seriously considering getting one. It is almost impossible to find a high end DAC/amp combo at this price. Getting separate dacs/amps in any configuration would easily cost twice the amount. Also, it is chock full of features and I personally think that it is a great value for money product. 

Hope these brief impressions are helpful. This is my first lengthy contribution to headfi, and I'm still learning so please do feel free to disagree or corroborate what I have heard by sharing impressions. Thanks!

Thanks for the impressions! From your impressions E5 seems to have close sound characteristic to Fiio X3.

Hopefully Creative will have special price for E5 in the coming SITEX, 27 Nov - 30 Nov 2014, @ Singapore Expo.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #120 of 2,345
Yer, I got an update from Creative PR that the E5 is about to hit the market too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back