Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Oct 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #91 of 2,345
For those of u looking for a USB DAC that is compatible with smartphones, u should look at the ifi audio iDSD Nano. it has a fantastic DAC section but only mediocre amp section, unlike other USB DACs that have an average DAC and amp section. This leaves greater room for improvement through the line out of the iDSD nano to another better amp.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #92 of 2,345
For those of u looking for a USB DAC that is compatible with smartphones, u should look at the ifi audio iDSD Nano. it has a fantastic DAC section but only mediocre amp section, unlike other USB DACs that have an average DAC and amp section. This leaves greater room for improvement through the line out of the iDSD nano to another better amp.

That's a great recommendation. However, for iem users the nano is a bit hot.  I wished the nano had the built in attenuation that the micro idsd has -- that would be the perfect combo.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #93 of 2,345
Since the e5 is still gestating, I bought the e3. So much connectivity but I bought it for only one feature. I don't bring my DAPs out with me, just my iPhone. With the e5, I pair it via BT, the iPhone stays in the pocket, and my CIEM can be used with the e5. When calls come in, I can answer without having to take out the CIEM as previously. Perfect.

One question though. Some earlier posts about this and the e5 confuses me. By using it this way am I or am I not using the E3 DAC?

And for those interested you can save another 10-15% from their Halloween promo. Check their website.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #94 of 2,345
of course you are using the DAC. the phone transmits a bluetooth signal to the E3, which then converts it to analogue before sending it to ur CIEMs

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #95 of 2,345
of course you are using the DAC. the phone transmits a bluetooth signal to the E3, which then converts it to analogue before sending it to ur CIEMs

I recall somewhere earlier in the thread that it uses the lower end BT DAC vs the higher end one?

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #96 of 2,345
The DAC is one and the same. its the same as sending the digital signal from ur phone, just that it is wirelessly. there is no need for a separate DAC just for bluetooth.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #97 of 2,345
Most blue tooth receivers have a built in dac. That's probably what he was referring to. This was discussed further back.

Edit: just found the answer.
Just about every Bluetooth module has its own built-in DAC (which usually doesn't sound great). The E3 however has an independent DAC outside of the Bluetooth's DAC. It is a TI's PCM5122, which actually isn't a bad DAC at all on its own.

I'm sorry clieOS, I meant does the e3 use the same dac for its USB and blue tooth connections

That will be a 'yes'.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #100 of 2,345
Are you still confused? The e3 uses the better dac even when you play over blue tooth just to sum it up.
That's good to hear because that's the only function I use. It is superb for listening off a smartphone and CIEMs and a phone call comes in.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #102 of 2,345
You use the built in mic for phone calls?where do you position the e3 when placing a call? Does it need to be close to you're head to pick up your voice?

You can clip it to your shirt around the chest level. It can also pick up if say you're sitting down and you place it on a table but usually I pick it up out of deference to people around me.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #104 of 2,345
Its not that heavy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back