Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #76 of 2,345
this is not an amp, it is also a DAC. As a DAC, one of the features would be to support dolby digital or DTS for movies. as a DAC, it receives a digital signal from the computer, one that needs both decoding and amplifying, not just amplifying.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #77 of 2,345
ClieOS, i read about the new FiiO E12A for IEMs release and i have made a new thread on it.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #78 of 2,345
Sorry I am a bit new to this. I have the IE800 and I am really interested in the little beast for many reasons. However, PCWorld just release a mini review about it here
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2691373/sound-blaster-e5-review-this-portable-dac-and-headphone-amp-is-an-audio-powerhouse.html

and in the "Cons" section they have "Can't decode Dolby or DTS" - Correct me if I am wrong, but if I want to pair this amp to my PC, isn't Dolby decoding happens from the PC before hitting the amp to begin with? Isn't the amp's only purpose is to "Amplify" the signal coming to it from the PC/Phone and that's it? Why would I need Dolby support in the amp?

I plan to use this on my PC and just grab it for on the go to use with my iPhone

Like trip said, when used as a dac (USB connection) it bypasses the PCs decoding and does it itself.

However technically you should be able to run the PCs headphone out into the e5 linein for just amplification purposes.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #79 of 2,345
Try to use line outs from the source device when possible if you want to use an external amp so as to avoid double amping.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #80 of 2,345
Unfortunately this is the response I got from Creative about availability:

"Thank you for writing to Creative Labs.           

We appreciate your interest in Sound Blaster E5.

We have checked with our sales department and the stocks will be available by November 2014.

http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-E5/M/B00MXJYDUO.htm
** Sound Blaster E5

Hope this helps."

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #84 of 2,345
  Unfortunately this is the response I got from Creative about availability:

"Thank you for writing to Creative Labs.           

We appreciate your interest in Sound Blaster E5.

We have checked with our sales department and the stocks will be available by November 2014.

http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-E5/M/B00MXJYDUO.htm
** Sound Blaster E5

Hope this helps."

Thanks for the info.  I wouldn't be surprised if that get pushed back to december.  :frowning2:

I counldn't wait any longer and went with another portable dac and amp combo.  I am open to changing my portable setup after the e5 comes out, though.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #85 of 2,345
Yea I cant wait for the E5 too. I might get the E3 until the E5 is out. 

I do hate when companies announce a release date/month and not stick to it though. "Comes out in October" usually means 2-3 months after October.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #87 of 2,345
I just read the information on the creative website.    Am I correct in thinking that this will allow me to connect my Iphone 6 (even though it only states up to 5) directly to the dac/amp with a simple lightning to usb cable without needing a lightning to camera cable and be able to output 24_192 files with no loss in quality?

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #88 of 2,345
  Sam L: Curious...  What did you pick up?  Looking for something similar as well.  The E5 is taking a long time...

I went on an experimental binge.  E1 for a week.  Then SB omni, then ifi micro dac, now currently meridian explorer (newer version) and digizoid zo fs. 

I'm realizing the problem I have is that I go back and forth between IEMs and cans so frequently on my computer that its hard to pin down the perfect versatile setup.  The ifi micro dac was amazing but not very portable.

I also carry around a samson go mic.  The e5 would be perfect so I don't have to carry around 3 separate pieces of equipment.  I'm planning on getting a macbook air and with 2 usb ports I need to figure out something soon or I'll end up getting a multi port usb to connect all the hardware along with external mouse and keyboard.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #90 of 2,345
Bluetooth mouse and keyboard maybe? Mad katz rat9 is a decent bt mouse...

Ahh yes that is an option.  I have too many of those as well.  lol

Been using the microsoft scuplt keyboard and mouse.  One of the best keyboards, I've tried but unfortunately requires a free usb port.  The two bluetooth keyboards I have are not ergonomic.  Used to pair them to my smartphone but that was more of a novelty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back