Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Dec 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #106 of 563
The box is much nicer than the first CAL!. It gives the impression of a premium product. I know many wont think of this as important when talking about headphones, but for me it's important.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #107 of 563
Just wanted to post this very positive review on this russian site (I like this site so much I often check it even if I'm not russian). 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fdetail%2Fcreative_aurvana_live_2%2F&sandbox=1

Do note their frequency response graphs are quite heavily smoothed out so it sometimes may represent a slightly more optimistic view but yea the FR response graph is like a mix of LCD3 vs TH900 (LCD linear bass response but roughly TH900 quantity, TH900 kind of mid & highs balance (slight uphill in the highsrange). Curious to hear more about these. :)

They certainly are bassier than Aurvana Live but I like that ;p

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #108 of 563
I've done some raw measurements. Check out if you want. What I like about it is that the emphasis is mostly in sub-bass. So the mids aren't affected unlike most bassy headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/creative-aurvana-live-2-review-and-mods#post_10052487

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #109 of 563
  I've done some raw measurements. Check out if you want. What I like about it is that the emphasis is mostly in sub-bass. So the mids aren't affected unlike most bassy headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/creative-aurvana-live-2-review-and-mods#post_10052487

IMO it just covers the whole bassrange nicely and starts rolling off suitably before 200Hz which is what I want it to, it's roughly at that point like CAL2 starts rolling off which avoids the bleed into lower-mids. I don't know what people got against good quality midbass, without midbass the music I listen to would sound awful.

Very interested in these headphones now. Looks like a new budget champ, excellent sound quality for the price, excellent comfort and detachable cable and build quality/looks seems okay (the weak point seems the swivel point, that can be a questionmark regarding build quality possibly). :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #110 of 563
  Just wanted to post this very positive review on this russian site (I like this site so much I often check it even if I'm not russian). 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fdetail%2Fcreative_aurvana_live_2%2F&sandbox=1

Do note their frequency response graphs are quite heavily smoothed out so it sometimes may represent a slightly more optimistic view but yea the FR response graph is like a mix of LCD3 vs TH900 (LCD linear bass response but roughly TH900 quantity, TH900 kind of mid & highs balance (slight uphill in the highsrange). Curious to hear more about these. :)

They certainly are bassier than Aurvana Live but I like that ;p

Thanks for the link.

Google translate is not the best, but from what I understand it uses the same grill as the D7100? :O Or is that just some crazy  Google translation?? The driver seems to be the same, but the speakergrill is different.

Hope someone who speaks russian can clear this up.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #111 of 563
  Thanks for the link.

Google translate is not the best, but from what I understand it uses the same grill as the D7100? :O Or is that just some crazy  Google translation?? The driver seems to be the same, but the speakergrill is different.

What I understood is that the diaphragm consists of the same material, 
bio-cellulose material, more paper (microfiber) like material used in those headphones, if you check the pics it indeed looks very similar. Denon (Dxxxx and Dxxx series), Sony (R10) and Fostex (TH600, TH900) seems to use it. It even has a bit of "suspension" for the driver. It's a bit more like a speaker design than typical headphone design.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #112 of 563
Just another shot in the dark I am guessing that no one here has a pair of MadDog Alpha pads? I might have to be the first one to see if they work if I can save up the money for a pair. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #113 of 563
  Thanks for the link.

No the D7100 has a different driver and different grill. Afaik he D7100 were not made by Foster JP.

-----

I agree to other posters, the bio cellulose drivers look a bit more like the ones used in speakers. I believe those drivers made by Foster are among the best ever made. Still love my modified CAL! more than all other portable headphones available today. Most natural sound.

I was wondering about one detail I found in this picture: http://twojepc.pl/html/Test-Recenzja-Creative-Aurvana-Live!2/36.jpg
There appears to be a rectangular gap on the back side of the baffle. Another gap on the corresponding cup.
To me this looks like a port ! Can one of the CAL!2 owners confirm this ?
This would explain higher precision, better bass and soundstage (I installed a port on my modded CAL!1 a long time ago and that was exactly what happened to the sound).

At the same time it would mean that the CAL!2 are not closed cans but half open...

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #114 of 563
If the drivers are the same as in the first CAL! how can they be so much better in the new CAL2?

Is Creative tweaking the drivers? I don't much about this stuff, I'd appreciate an explanation :)

Thanks

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #116 of 563
Same way $300 mad dogs are created from $100 fostex. It is all about tweaking, search it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaresma View Post

If the drivers are the same as in the first CAL! how can they be so much better in the new CAL2?

Is Creative tweaking the drivers? I don't much about this stuff, I'd appreciate an explanation :)

Thanks

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #118 of 563
Anyone use other cables on this? I'm still using stock cable.

I don't like that it's 2,5mm in the headphone end, that really narrows down cable choice, unless you want to use a 3.5 to 2.5mm converter:/

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #119 of 563
Hi there, I just signed op on this forum to post my review and also follow the discussion on this CAL2.

ATM there aren't too many reviews on the internet, but maybe it will become more popular later on, just like the original CAL?

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #120 of 563
  Anyone use other cables on this? I'm still using stock cable.

I don't like that it's 2,5mm in the headphone end, that really narrows down cable choice, unless you want to use a 3.5 to 2.5mm converter:/

I bought a sub mini plug for it but it don't fit so I have to grind it down before soldering. I don't really have the time to do it right now

I was wondering about one detail I found in this picture: http://twojepc.pl/html/Test-Recenzja-Creative-Aurvana-Live!2/36.jpg
There appears to be a rectangular gap on the back side of the baffle. Another gap on the corresponding cup.
To me this looks like a port ! Can one of the CAL!2 owners confirm this ?
This would explain higher precision, better bass and soundstage (I installed a port on my modded CAL!1 a long time ago and that was exactly what happened to the sound).

At the same time it would mean that the CAL!2 are not closed cans but half open...

Those rectangular gap does act kinda like a port but it's pretty small and the earpad covers them. I will play with it the next time I open up my CAL! 2.

I haven't had much time to play with it so the only mod I experimented with (besides earpads) is stuffing the inside. The bass is a little more controlled now and the mids and vocals are a little forward too but sub bass is not as good as before. To me this sounds a little more balanced but I'll need more ear time to know for sure. I'll try different materials to see if the sound change, but right now it sounds pretty good.

Here's a picture of the 2.5mm jack in case someone's interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back