Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Sep 19, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #542 of 563
I love the cals, i only had one other headphone in my collection that could compete with a similiar sonic signature and it was about $300. I thought, initially, the CAL 2 was a bit inferior to the first. In comparison to CAL 1, the treble is a tad recessed, the bass a tad boosted and the vocals a bit recessed. However after some time and critical listening...the clarity is better. The imaging is better. Seperation is better. Soundstage is better. The extension of the bass and treble is slightly improved. The layering of music is better CAL 2 makes CAL 1 sound flatter and more in your face (which can be a good or bad thing depending on taste,songs). Also unlike CAL 1 when you turn the volume up on a CAL 2 it retains the quality better than CAL 1. Whatever the term for that is. I say all that as a CAL 1 fan. I still like it.

Any headphones that people feel have since surpassed these (within the same sound/price range) ?

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #543 of 563
Well, ATH-M40x and SRH550 offer a less colored, little bit higher-fidelity sound after you have modified those headphones.  But they aren't as balanced, FR-wise - not too far off, either.  And SRH550 is a borderline "glass canon" as far as durability.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #544 of 563
For $99, the Samson RTE X, with N.R. on. Smaller ear cups may bother some, but slightly less strident highs (if you want similar to more high end, turn NR off) and more low sub extension and weight (if you want less, turn NR off). It has a nice compact hard case it folds flat into. For a similar sound with even warmer highs and more bass, the Bose Sound True II (the latest generation) delivers that for about $30 to $80 more, no NR or batteries needed. Bigger, roomy ear cups, also portable. They win in that low cost crowd.

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #545 of 563
Let me start by saying, I now prefer the CAL 1 more than 2.  Although all I said about CAL 2 remains accurate in my opinion.  I do feel CAL 2 does a lot of little things better.  I prefer the main sound sig the way it was.  With the treble more forward and the bass more back.  It seemed more balanced overall.  CAL 2 felt a little bassier, treble felt a little more recessed to my ears.  I don't prefer that aspect.  CAL 1 for sure.  If I could find a CAL 1 with the benefits of a CAL 2 in terms of better soundstage, better at retaining details regardless of the volume, better extension.  That would be basically perfect for me.

I think I may like the colored sound though.  I had an m50x and I like it ok, it was not my go to headphone.  I think the 40x as I understand it was the 50x without the bass bump.  Never owned the m40x.  So I get a vibe, I just may not like that series.  Respect it though.  I'd have to check the other one.  SRH550, heard of it. 

I know people look down on colored headphones on head-fi.....so be it, all I want is musicality.  All things considered for the price, I thought CAL 1 especially did a lot of good things that most headphones in that price range wouldn't do.  Good amounts of details and accuracy.  I can hear some of the coloration though.  Sure I know a lot of $300+ similar headphones would blow it out the water.  Again I say for the price, I thought it did a great job. 

Thanks for the help!

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #546 of 563
  For $99, the Samson RTE X, with N.R. on. Smaller ear cups may bother some, but slightly less strident highs (if you want similar to more high end, turn NR off) and more low sub extension and weight (if you want less, turn NR off). It has a nice compact hard case it folds flat into. For a similar sound with even warmer highs and more bass, the Bose Sound True II (the latest generation) delivers that for about $30 to $80 more, no NR or batteries needed. Bigger, roomy ear cups, also portable. They win in that low cost crowd.

I may check out Samson RTE X.  To be honest, I know nothing about them.  I did however briefly have a Bose Sound True II.  I didn't dislike them.  I know I was supposed to, Beats and Bose get alot of hate here.  I didn;'t dislike Sound True II but I felt the price was way too much for the sound quality.  I thought the sound quality was fine for what it was though.  Didn't dislike it.  Honestly, I preferred the Cal 1 which was alot cheaper.  I did think Sound True II was amazingly comfortable, which has nothing to do with anything.  I just wanted to add that.  I will look into the Samson RTE X though, thank you for the suggestions.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #548 of 563
Just got those several days ago.

Straight out of the box, they sounded kind of muffled. Bass was there so was the soundstage and midrange. But higher mids as well as the treble sounded like they took a trip to Hawaii got drunk and missed the return flight.

HOWEVER, fast forward 24 hours (actual music playing time substantially less) and they gradually but exponentially started to sound noticeably better.

Not sure if it was the burn-in or the ear cups which were potentially stiffer and "generic shaped" out of the box... Nevertheless, now - that is at the time of writing this, 90% of "muffliness" is gone and they Do do Do sound delicious.

The best way I can describe them is taking the sound signature of JVC S500s - adding more bass extension to it as well as greatly improving the comfort of wearing them (both of those aspects resonate with Sony XB500), then on top of that having the soundstage which is impressive for the closed cans.

So the end result is basically having the best aspects of those legendary aforementioned cans AND THEN SOME on top of that (soundstage and related midrange details/clarity).

The only downsides to them are quite unusual cable as well as how big they look on your head - which is granted subjective. Yet for me personally they do look quite big and maybe even a little bit obnoxious to be wearing them outdoors in public for extended periods of time. :D But heck, maybe I'am just not used to them yet as I mainly only wore on-ears as my on the go cans till now. :wink:

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #549 of 563
Hey guys,

I am in the middle of my exchange period here in Singapore, and the cable of my RHA 750's just tore. Naturally, I am looking for something to take their place for now, and I figured that a relatively nice pair of cans might even be fun in the future. Anyway, listened to the E-MU Walnuts at some electronics fair some months ago, and I really liked their sound...like really liked it. Also, I had a quick listen to the CAL and CAL2, but considering the background noise, I couldnt tell much difference. Still, I was immediately interested to look into these Creative cans.

The CAL and CAL2 are the same price right now from the Creative web store in Singapore (99 sgd, +- 60$). Since I loved the E-MU's (CAL with wooden cup), do you guys think it is a safe bet to go with the CAL2, rather than the CAL in terms of SQ? From what I read, I would go for the CAL without an hesitation, but the build quality of the CAL2 is a very important factor.

Isn't anybody in this thread a bit worried about the fact that the CAL2 measures way worse than the CAL? As if they took a good driver, and messed it up a bit to get more bass, and put it in a shiny new plastic enclosure to sell it to kids at twice the price:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvanaLive2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvana.pdf

That 300Hz square wave response is not pretty. The transient wave response of the CAL2 seems very poor. Anyway, based on the measurements, this CAL2 seems a bit like a joke: originally twice the price, but a poorer performer. 

From innerfidelity:

Creative Aurvana Live! 2 - Why do people keep dumping a perfectly good headphone for an inferior one? The Creative Aurvana Live! (the first one) was actually almost the same headphone as the Denon D1001. Denon replaced it with the D1100, which wasn't nearly as good. Creative Labs picked up the design of the D1001 (a Foster product), made a couple of changes, and produced the first Aurvana Live!. It sounded quite good, and now they've dumped it for the much better looking Live!2, but it sounds worse. Argh! Maybe Foster should just relaunch it under their Fostex brand—that would be nice.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-february-2014-update#AdW36lsSM1Tc2efV.99

Please convince me that the CAL2's are a better buy, so I dont waste money on a pair of cans that breaks by looking at it (the CAL). This idea of a foul marketing scheme just creeps on to me.

Every opinion is much appreciated! 

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #551 of 563
If people prefer the CAL, its still available, so whats the problem? :p

The CAL 2 looks a bit odd for my tastes

And for those saying Fostex, isn't the Kotori the same thing as 1001? I think they look cool all krazy colorful, but yeah

There was another thread about biocell panasonic rp-hx650, wonder how they stack up to CAL , if anyone has both please do share the wealth (of your headphone madness knowledge) tankssssss

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #553 of 563
I just wanted to let you guys know that today I received my CAL!2. After some heavy equalizing (+10 dB @ 4 kHz) I have to say: these cans are f'ing awesome. 99 sgd well spend!

I also ordered this cable:

http://www.lazada.sg/audio-upgrade-cable-for-bose-oe2-oe2i-bowers-wilkins-p5-headphone12m-white-1721632.html

Will give you guys some impressions later (eventhough this thread is pretty much dead it seems)

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #554 of 563
yea the cal 2 with a good cable upgrade is impressive for people wanting that kind of sound sig. i think they use the same type as senn hd598. cal 1 is definately not for active users. it does feel fragile.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #555 of 563
I just modded my pair almost like kingpage did, but roughly cut the foam and added it to the cups. It doesn't look as nice. Would that affect the sound if they are not even? I got a nice replacement cable from amazon which makes them sound a lot better. Also, what would be better alternative then the foam to put in the cups and is there any other mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back