Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #272 of 563
Gee, you wouldnt happen to let me in on whats so 'lol' about the 558s being the best sub150s would you? A little help here please, I didnt come here to get ridiculed...

CAL 2 has bass, 558 don't. If you like bass go with the cal 2 if you don't then go with the 558.

Everyone likes bass, I dont know what to make of your comment. Im looking for comfort for long periods of usage, sound quality (and soundstage i assume too, never had nice headphones), and I dont mind modding, I like modding. General usage, electronic music like justice and kravinsky, starcraft 2(an rts).

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #273 of 563
Gee, you wouldnt happen to let me in on whats so 'lol' about the 558s being the best sub150s would you? A little help here please, I didnt come here to get ridiculed...
Everyone likes bass, I dont know what to make of your comment. Im looking for comfort for long periods of usage, sound quality (and soundstage i assume too, never had nice headphones), and I dont mind modding, I like modding. General usage, electronic music like justice and kravinsky, starcraft 2(an rts).

Calm down buddy, I didn't mean anything by it. If you stick around long enough you'll understand what I'm talking about.
If you want a bassy headphone, the CAL 2 is the way to go, if you want a bass shy headphone then go with the 558. It's quite simple.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #274 of 563
Or you know, someone could just tell me what headphones are better before my gf's birthday comes around.

Why would you want a 'bass shy' headphone? Anyways, isnt the cal2 closed vs 558s open? Doesnt that mean the 558 sounds better, better soundstage?

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #275 of 563
Why would you want a 'bass shy' headphone? Anyways, isnt the cal2 closed vs 558s open? Doesnt that mean the 558 sounds better, better soundstage?

Well than what are you doing? Go and buy the 558 right now.

You will never find a headphone if you're just using other people's opinions instead of your preference to search for a headphone. I've seen lots of people who does this and two months later they still haven't decided on a headphone. My advice, buy the headphone that best match your preference. The information in this thread and the 558 thread should be enough for you to get a general idea of each headphone's pros, cons, sound, build, etc. All you have to do is select the one that best match your preference.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #279 of 563
Well than what are you doing? Go and buy the 558 right now.

You will never find a headphone if you're just using other people's opinions instead of your preference to search for a headphone. I've seen lots of people who does this and two months later they still haven't decided on a headphone. My advice, buy the headphone that best match your preference. The information in this thread and the 558 thread should be enough for you to get a general idea of each headphone's pros, cons, sound, build, etc. All you have to do is select the one that best match your preference.

Wait. So you 'lol' at me when I say that 558 is considered the best sub-150 based on what I've read on this forum, I didn't pull it out of thin air and it's clear I'm a newb and trying to get into this stuff, and then your reply is basically that I was right? Why would you even say lol at me then? 

All I can see is that the 558 is the best sub-150 for sound and that, some people may have problems with non-portable, open headphones, in which case the CAL2 may be better (I dont even know if the cal2 is that good, there isn't much info or reviews on it it seems, fostex t50rp or 7506 could be better really). I hear the 558 is a little bass-light but there's nothing you can really do about that unless you just need maximum bass to the detriment of everything else in which case I guess you get an M50.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #280 of 563
Rule #1 of head-fi - There is no such thing as "BEST"

Rule #2 - never offer opinions on the sound of a headphone if you have never heard it.

These two rules have served me well over the years.  The best part of head-fi is actually going to a local meet and hearing lots of stuff, it truly will educate you more than reading, but reading is also helpful.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #281 of 563
  Rule #1 of head-fi - There is no such thing as "BEST"

Rule #2 - never offer opinions on the sound of a headphone if you have never heard it.

These two rules have served me well over the years.  The best part of head-fi is actually going to a local meet and hearing lots of stuff, it truly will educate you more than reading, but reading is also helpful.

good rule of thumb,

only you can determine if it works for you, just cause something is the "best" does not mean its for you.

for example the monster turbines aren't the "best" bassy earphone, but i found myself enjoying them immensely.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #282 of 563
Or you know, someone could just tell me what headphones are better before my gf's birthday comes around.

Have you tried the M-Audio Q40?  For the price bracket you're in, they may be the best overall headphone I've heard.  I have NOT heard the Cal 2 or 558 but I know how good the Q40 is compared to my higher cost headphones. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #283 of 563
Never heard them and they are closed. It doesn't really help me if you don't know how they compare to the 558 or CAL2. I think I'm pretty set on getting the 558, it seems they are generally considered the best $150 headphones for terms of sound and comfort and just headphones all around. Their only problem is they aren't bass heavy, they are open (not closed so not good for sound leakage, isolation), and they aren't portable or fold up at all, so if you need to sacrifice those then the M50 or CAL2 or T50RP might be a better route, but that's not me (or the A700 if you need super open stage for fps to the detriment of media).

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #284 of 563
Never heard them and they are closed. It doesn't really help me if you don't know how they compare to the 558 or CAL2. I think I'm pretty set on getting the 558, it seems they are generally considered the best $150 headphones for terms of sound and comfort and just headphones all around. Their only problem is they aren't bass heavy, they are open (not closed so not good for sound leakage, isolation), and they aren't portable or fold up at all, so if you need to sacrifice those then the M50 or CAL2 or T50RP might be a better route, but that's not me (or the A700 if you need super open stage for fps to the detriment of media).

Again there is no "best". The ath m50 is a very well regarded headphone here on head fi and beyond. I think its rather comfy too. Im in different about the sound. Its good not my preferred sound sig. I had only tried it for maybe 10 mins though.

If u wan great sound and comfort the sony mdr 1r would be my pick. The large earcups will fit almost anyone, except those with ears that especially stick out. They sound very smooth and midbassy. With some isolation.

If you want cheaper, i like the philips downtown ( amzon has them dirt cheap atm) like 20-50 and tyll on innerfidelity had them on the wall of fame a while back. They look great imo ( in the grey, brown) they have a bright purple as well. The earcups come in some soft pillowly material with good isolation. Havent owned it personally but saw in reviewwd how soft everything is.

Btw i have never seen anyone recommend to 558, ive seen ppl recommend th jvc ha 400,500 , cal , m50s, monoprice 8230 the most

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #285 of 563
Again there is no "best". The ath m50 is a very well regarded headphone here on head fi and beyond. I think its rather comfy too. Im in different about the sound. Its good not my preferred sound sig. I had only tried it for maybe 10 mins though.

If u wan great sound and comfort the sony mdr 1r would be my pick. The large earcups will fit almost anyone, except those with ears that especially stick out. They sound very smooth and midbassy. With some isolation.

If you want cheaper, i like the philips downtown ( amzon has them dirt cheap atm) like 20-50 and tyll on innerfidelity had them on the wall of fame a while back. They look great imo ( in the grey, brown) they have a bright purple as well. The earcups come in some soft pillowly material with good isolation. Havent owned it personally but saw in reviewwd how soft everything is.

Btw i have never seen anyone recommend to 558, ive seen ppl recommend th jvc ha 400,500 , cal , m50s, monoprice 8230 the most

Sometime you can't teach these stuff, some people need to learn it on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back