Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Feb 6, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #302 of 563
These also sound a little better with SRH750DJ pads as opposed to the stock ones.  Better bass, soundstaging and mids.  Maybe something similar but with a few holes on the inner side to let the drivers breath more may open up the soundstage, midrange, and treble further.  Or perhaps compatible velour pads.
750 pads are almost the same, just stiffer, so bass, soundstaging, and midrange are less degraded by the overly soft stock pads.  Alternatively, stiffen the inner side of the stock pads with several coats of plasti-dip, but that takes a long time and I don't feel like bothering with that.  =p

Nice headphone, relatively on par with my HD360 and beats it at soundstaging, but seems less rugged and is less portable as well.  I'll be sure to throw some Dynamat on the backs of the magnets later.

Edit: enjoying improved bass, overall cleaner sound, and better imaging after adding Dynamat, but the headband isn't all that comfortable.  Well, HD360 isn't much of an improvement there, but its headband is better cushioned.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #304 of 563
Are there only one kind of velour pads that fit these?

If you can find round, 80-90mm velour pads, you can try those.
DT770 velours are too big, but I placed them on and lightly pressed the headphone against my head to hold them in place.  They lessened the bass but then the mids and treble became nasal-sounding and shrill.  Back to the SRH750 pads, I went.  I suppose that it may not be a great idea to allow the driver to control too much air between the baffle and your ear as far as CAL!2 is concerned.

On a side note, anyone tried Akasa Paxmate Plus open-cell acoustic foam in the cups?  That will soften bass impact apart from removing enough of the reverb to make the headphone sound semi-open and may bring out details obscured by all the reverb.
It is some pretty useful modding material in general.  What you would do is cover the depth of the cup completely with the stuff.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #305 of 563
consider these two products: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D64J512/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SHTSJSJQA89P

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am wondering if i can do this:

Can i use the boompro which has a 3.5mm plug , connect it to the adapter (which turns 3.5mm to 2.5mm) and then connect it to CAL!2's audio jack ?

is this possible ?

If it is then I would consider buying it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #306 of 563
Yes.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #308 of 563
  Tell me please - does these headphones cover all ear (that ear can be all inside of a cup), or push on it because of small cup? Can't judge by photo, need true answer. Thanks!

our renowned reviewer ljokerl has reviewed them right here on headfi and proclaimed them to be the most comfortable circumaural headphones he has.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-111-portable-headphones-reviewed-creative-aurvana-live-2-added-02-25-14#user_creative_aurvana_live_2

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #310 of 563
CAL2 seems durable, not on par with M50 there of course.  This is Creative Labs after all. 
tongue_smile.gif

It, however, has a steel backbone in its headband, where headphones tend to break when cheaply made.  I think it will last.

M50 is more analytical in the midrange, but is not as balanced in its midrange and treble overall, and CAL2's bass is a bit clearer.  I've already forgotten how controlled CAL2's bass is with the stock pads, but it is nothing to write home about.  It does improve with a change of pads as I mentioned earlier.
CAL2 has a deeper soundstage but does not image as sharply if I'm not mistaken.  CAL2 is on par with HD360, which can compete with M50, so which is better is up to you.  If you love the original CAL, then you'll probably love CAL2.  Or you can go with M50 for something different.  Since M50 has stronger treble, it can bring out things like sibilance in music.
CAL2 has insufficient dampening in the cups, resulting in strong reverb flavoring compared to other closed-back headphones.
Wearing comfort is much better on M50 for me because CAL2's headband is too skinny and barely cushioned.  Then again, ljokerl posted that CAL2 is one of the most comfortable headphones for him, so it may work out for you.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #311 of 563
  CAL2 seems durable, not on par with M50 there of course.  This is Creative Labs after all. 
tongue_smile.gif

It, however, has a steel backbone in its headband, where headphones tend to break when cheaply made.  I think it will last.

M50 is more analytical in the midrange, but is not as balanced in its midrange and treble overall, and CAL2's bass is a bit clearer.  I've already forgotten how controlled CAL2's bass is with the stock pads, but it is nothing to write home about.  It does improve with a change of pads as I mentioned earlier.
CAL2 has a deeper soundstage but does not image as sharply if I'm not mistaken.  CAL2 is on par with HD360, which can compete with M50, so which is better is up to you.  If you love the original CAL, then you'll probably love CAL2.  Or you can go with M50 for something different.  Since M50 has stronger treble, it can bring out things like sibilance in music.
CAL2 has insufficient dampening in the cups, resulting in strong reverb flavoring compared to other closed-back headphones.
Wearing comfort is much better on M50 for me because CAL2's headband is too skinny and barely cushioned.  Then again, ljokerl posted that CAL2 is one of the most comfortable headphones for him, so it may work out for you.

I heard M50 had weak treble and strong bass - does that mean that CAL/CAL2 are really lacking in treble?

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #312 of 563
  I heard M50 had weak treble and strong bass - does that mean that CAL/CAL2 are really lacking in treble?

No, M50 has strong treble.  It give the headphone a "V-shaped" balance together with the strong bass.  CAL2 doesn't deviate very far from linear-like balance throughout the midrange and treble.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #315 of 563
It seem that CAL 2 uses the same Foster 33917 driver (http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/lightbox/post/10052487/id/991973) as used in original CAL.

So I don't see a point of paying almost double the price for CAL2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back