Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Jan 2, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #556 of 563
  Just bought the CAL! 2. I already have the CAL! 1

First impressions: 

- Bigger soundstage, noticed immediately
 - Bass sounds boomy at first, maybe need some burn-in?
 - VERY comfortable
 - Build quality much better than CAL! 1
 - Earcups larger than CAL! 1, nice!

I will update my views on the bass. Maybe modding will help?

Bottom line, nice upgrade from the CAL! 1

Only had these for about a week. I modded them with foam in the cups about a day after I got them to reduce bass & false bass. I used a replacement cable that I didn't get right away, about two days after. I did a lot of burn in with different music genres, frequency sweeps & some pink noise. Yesterday I decided to take out the foam in the cups mod & they sound great. The bass has reduced to good level, not being too much for me. The highs can get a little distorted at higher volumes. Is there a mod that can fix that? So, burn in actually works with these headphones.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #557 of 563
I've had both, I very much prefer the 1st version. Even with a replaceable cable and better build quality.

What do you think about the quality of the hinge specifically on the 2ND? The hinge between the caliper and the headband.
I owned two pairs of the 1ST edition and they both broke in the same place, I avoid recommending them for this reason.  

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #558 of 563

What do you think about the quality of the hinge specifically on the 2ND? The hinge between the caliper and the headband.
I owned two pairs of the 1ST edition and they both broke in the same place, I avoid recommending them for this reason.  

Hinges on my Live! 2 broke after 2 years. I've bought many Creative "gaming headsets" in my teen years and they all broke cause of the same reason: hinges. Creative likes to save money on material I guess, and Live! 2 is no exception.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #559 of 563
I just wanted to let you guys know that today I received my CAL!2. After some heavy equalizing (+10 dB @ 4 kHz) I have to say: these cans are f'ing awesome. 99 sgd well spend!

I also ordered this cable:

http://www.lazada.sg/audio-upgrade-cable-for-bose-oe2-oe2i-bowers-wilkins-p5-headphone12m-white-1721632.html

Will give you guys some impressions later (eventhough this thread is pretty much dead it seems)

I have been using the CAL!2's for half a year now. I didn't like the sound out of the box too much: mids and highs seemingly absent/drowning in bass. I could only listen to it after EQ'ing. The cable upgrade seemed to have some small positive effects on the SQ, mostly the dynamics seemed to have improved slightly.

Nowadays, I listen to them without EQ. I am not sure if the cans (cups) improved due to burn in (use), or maybe my ears adapted. There used to be a rather disturbing resonance in s's (vocals), but these seems to be gone for most parts (probably because I do not boost mids and highs anymore with EQ). Anyway, they have more bass than my speaker system, but only a notch, nothing too dramatic compared to the overall tonality. 

I absolutely love these cans. The sound lacks some serious resolution (especially, highs and mids, but also the bass), but I really dig the smoothness and the ease with which the sound flows. The sound is very relaxed, but the lowest frequencies still manage to pack some nice acoustic energy. The overall timbre is fairly neutral I would argue (not plasticy or metallic, paper is a fantastic driver material), but I would describe it as dry/dark. The soundstaging is petty fantastic and quite 3D.

When I listen with these cans, I feel that I can enjoy music to its full extend. The sound is big and exciting. Even though resolution/micro detail is lacking, the complete frequency spectrum shines through nicely and there is still sufficient transparency. I only feel that there is a slight treble roll-off.

I use the CAL!2's at work. Their sound signature is great for this, for they do not fatigue or distract.

My brother bought the original CAL!'s in the meanwhile. People argue that they are very similar, we did not experience this. The CAL!2's sound much heavier, slower, darker and bigger. The CAL!'s are much faster and resolve more of detail in the mids. Compared to the CAL2!'s, the CAL1's sound thin, small, forward, agile and transparent. I prefer the CAL!2's for carefree music enjoyment.

Compared to the CAL!2's, the RHA MHA750's sound punchy, metallic and faster. I prefer the CAL!2's, for its more natural timbre but the RHA's still are pretty fantastic (definitely a more audiophile product). 

I mentioned previously that I do not like the offering from Audio Technica, I prefer these much over the M50's (I just dont like their tonal balance and mid range attack).

The sennheiser's I have listened to (I own the HD448's) sound more refined than the CAL2!'s. I think some of their newer offerings might be very competitive with the CAL2's. The HD448's I would not recommend over these however. They basically only do mids, completely lacking dynamics. If Sennheiser offers headphones at ~100-150eu, that actually reproduce the entire audible frequency spectrum, I am sure I would prefer them over these. 

For ~100eu I can definitely recommend the CAL2!'s. ~150eu would be too expensive for me, as they are not an audiophile (audio purist) product. Besides this, these cans give almost the maximum music listening satisfaction, and I would consider them as one of the best audio related purchases I have ever made. Note again that I use an after market cable.

Just some thoughts.

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #560 of 563
i have the creative aurvana live se and im in love with it. my favorite headphone over sennheiser momentum, sennheiser hd 518, beyerdynamic custom.

but i would like this sound but then in a over ear headphone and for same price in europe under 100 dollars and second hand 40 dollars

anybody know headphones with same sound stage but then over ear headphone. say under 100 dollars new. because most headphones i buy second hand.
only the takstar 82 pro i want to buy new. we dont have here. maybe 1 in 6 months on ebay.

greetings

eelco

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #561 of 563
wrong thread <deleted>

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #563 of 563
Bought them. Loved the looks and comfort. Bass impact really is something else. Tuning I would call V-Moda style, bass to the max. When EQd, sound became more balanced, spatious and clear. Unfortunately, I had to take them back because of the cable/headphone connection issue, so beware of the QC. I'll keep an eye on the biodyna headphones in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back