Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,866 of 12,335
  After weeks of waiting....

Finally, I've got delivery
tongue.gif

That's a GEC 6AS7G Brown Base from Nathan!!  
Thanks again W0lfd0g
biggrin.gif

I saw this post together and got excited as I was also waiting for some tubes from W0lfd0g.
When I got home I had a pretty box waiting for me :D

Put in the Tung Sol 7236 and RCA clear top first.  Listening right now and it sounds great although A/B comparison at this point will be to hard.  I'm still on my honeymoon with my BH Crack :p
I'm saving the famous Brown Base for later.  W0lfd0g recommended the 7236 for my HD650s but I was too curious to pass up a good price for the BB.
I also have a few input tubes for later, GE and Sylvania 5936, RCA clear top and a Baldwin (12UA7, not one of the actors)

Oh and good news / bad news, no smoke...  So my crack is still go but  I'm bit bummed about not getting to try the 2399/5998.  Most likely the tube got damaged in shipment :frowning2:

Big thanks to Nathan for the tubes.

Steph

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,867 of 12,335

I said it was absolutely a bad tube and stop using it before the amp is permanently damaged. Seeing smoke is always bad. The smoke inside the parts is what makes amps work. If you let the smoke out of the parts they won't work anymore.

So, Doc, do tube amps use the same magic smoke as solid state gear? 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,868 of 12,335
I can't answer that question. I can tell you that when I fumigated my Crack, I noticed a clear and unmistakable increase in bass extension and impact, a sweetening of the mids, and additional treble clarity. I would say this had a greater impact than tube swapping, installing my TKD pot, or upgrading the coupling caps, although not as great as upgrading the power supply caps. Of course, the downside was the need to tent my Crack for two weeks in order to allow sufficient time for the smoke to absorb into all of the components. It's hard to quit Crack cold-turkey! The twitches and spasms have now mostly subsided, however...

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,869 of 12,335

Oh man such posts should come with a warning attached the temptation for us newbie crack addicts is damn near irresistible. Its taken me all my will power and resilience so far to hold off from buying any tubes until after my Crack kit arrives and then you go and post the above! It must seem like Christmas has come early in your house  :wink:

It would be great if you could give some feed back on the different combos when you try them.

In the meantime I will just have to satisfy myself by keeping an eye out on ebay and checking on a few dealers sites as I would like to have a couple of spares to hand.

Hi Jamie,

Indeed, I could not be happier my Crack. But as everyone else would say, if your Crack doesn't have the Speedball yet, get one first. There is no doubt that it is the best upgrade for the Crack. But the speedball will reduce the effect of tubes you try. That means you will not experience huge change in sound when you roll tubes if your Crack have the speedball installed.

In my own experience, the 5998 and the famous GEC Brown base are truly among the best power tubes you can try with your Crack. They have different sound characteristics. I actually can't decide which is 'better', all I can say that I slightly prefer the GEC over the 5998, because it gives my Crack a more 'tubey' sound - sweet, warm, liquid but still with a lot of details and clarity.

Enjoy building your Crack and happy listening!

Cheers,
Kratos.

So after quick audition I clearly hear that GEC 6AS7G gives improved clarity of details and bass control. Remember that all these with not recommended HD700

Nice! Glad you like it. I assume your Crack does not have the Speedball installed yet?

I saw this post together and got excited as I was also waiting for some tubes from W0lfd0g.
When I got home I had a pretty box waiting for me :D

Put in the Tung Sol 7236 and RCA clear top first.  Listening right now and it sounds great although A/B comparison at this point will be to hard.  I'm still on my honeymoon with my BH Crack :p
I'm saving the famous Brown Base for later.  W0lfd0g recommended the 7236 for my HD650s but I was too curious to pass up a good price for the BB.
I also have a few input tubes for later, GE and Sylvania 5936, RCA clear top and a Baldwin (12UA7, not one of the actors)

Oh and good news / bad news, no smoke...  So my crack is still go but  I'm bit bummed about not getting to try the 2399/5998.  Most likely the tube got damaged in shipment :frowning2:

Big thanks to Nathan for the tubes.

Steph

As far as I know, the 7236s are pretty similar with the 5998s ( not equivalent I think ). I have not tried a 7236, but I've tried several 5998s with my HD650 and it sounded fantastic, thanks to their transparency, clarity and some nice sparkling treble, they added perfectly with the dark, 'veil' and muddy sound of the HD650s, I think the 7236s would also do the same thing to the HD650.

I have to admit that I initially thought the GEC Brown base is just the tweak of sound when compared with the 5998s, but after several hours of listening, the most noticeable improvement was the microphonics, the GEC did not cause ANY microphonics AT ALL. It made the Crack even more 'dead silent', one of the darkest and cleanest background I've ever heard. The bass control although was not as tight as the 5998, but it gave the bass more body, depth and make it fuller. The mid-range was sweet, liquid and neutral.

I also have a not-Alec-Baldwin-actor 12AU7 ( actually it is a Toshiba 12AU7 ), a RCA Clear-top, GE 5936, a RCA Smoked-glass 6SN7 from Nathan. And I liked the RCA the most among those, but my favorite input tube so far is still the Tungsram E80CC.

Thanks again, Nathan. I'm sorry to hear that you sold your Crack, hope you'll be back
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,871 of 12,335
Glad to hear that people's tubes have started arriving. I really appreciate the impressions that you have posted. It's great to get other opinions and gear matching experiences.

I wish I could have kept the Crack. The matching with the Beyer T90s is one of the most synergistic systems I have owned.

I'll be back in the tube amp game one day, Kratos. I will explore DIY SS in the meantime.

Cheers

Nathan

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,872 of 12,335
I don't see my Crack as a rollers amp, quite the opposite tbh especially with the speedball upgrade but the comments about low microphonics with the GEC A1834 is smack on (pun intended). This is why I like this tube on the Crack. On other 'roller amps however it is a gem....unfortunately now expensive but on this amp it is the noise or lack of it that makes it an excellent match.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #2,873 of 12,335
  I don't see my Crack as a rollers amp, quite the opposite tbh especially with the speedball upgrade but the comments about low microphonics with the GEC A1834 is smack on (pun intended). This is why I like this tube on the Crack. On other 'roller amps however it is a gem....unfortunately now expensive but on this amp it is the noise or lack of it that makes it an excellent match.

I'm not questioning these experiences, but I have never experienced any significant microphonics with the Crack, except for with 1 dodgy tube.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,874 of 12,335
I'll be back in the tube amp game one day, Kratos. I will explore DIY SS in the meantime.

And you'll end rolling opamps :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #2,875 of 12,335
Glad to hear that people's tubes have started arriving. I really appreciate the impressions that you have posted. It's great to get other opinions and gear matching experiences.

I wish I could have kept the Crack. The matching with the Beyer T90s is one of the most synergistic systems I have owned.

Cheers

Nathan

What DIY SS you going with? Maybe we can compare notes! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,877 of 12,335
Looking into the M^3 and gamma 1, but am open to suggestions. What projects are you working on ATM?

Currently, two First Watt F5 amps, and a Hagerman Tech Cornet2 SET (Single Ended Triode) Phono Pre as far as electronics go. I don't have anything against AMB Labs whatsoever, but I just don't like the fact they use so many parts and that the pieces aren't cheap. I honestly think their vested interest is in selling you electronic tidbits before anything else IMO. My next project may be a F5 Turbo, Aleph J, or "The Wire" headphone amp.

What is the end goal with your desired project? I may be able to recommend some alternative options for you :)

Apologies if I have gone off-topic, feel free to PM me if you wish.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,879 of 12,335
So I'm using GEC6AS7 for few hours and as I said in my previous post sounds great when paired with Westinghouse 12AU7 black plate from '50 with yellow CONN labeling. Also I decided to try GE5814 with GEC and I found that at first the combo sounds identical to Westinghouse 12AU7 so it's impossible to hear the difference but later I found 2 recordings where I by some reason prefer 5814 over 12AU7 so I gonna keep like this but will try KENRAD6SN7 just out of curiosity tomorrow but I doubt it will work well. Honestly my current setup could be easily end of the game for me but after hearing HD800 I deffinitely want them and only than call the end because for me the difference between HD700 and HD800 very noticeable.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #2,880 of 12,335

Cheers

Nathan

Great to hear that, Nathan! I couldn't happier with the GEC. I sold all of my other power tubes ( including the popular Tung-sol 5998 ) and save pennies for the upcoming Bottlehead DAC, can't wait to have full BH setup
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back