Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,851 of 12,335
If the Crack works fine with other tubes except the 5998, it's pretty certain that is a bad 5998.

The broken glass inside your tubes is not a problem as long as your tubes work fine. My 6080 and 5998 have some small pieces of glass inside them, but they work perfectly fine.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2,852 of 12,335
After weeks of waiting....

Finally, I've got delivery
tongue.gif

The Chatham 2399

The wonderful GEC 6AS7G Brown Base

Matched pair Tungsram E80CC

That's a GEC 6AS7G Brown Base from Nathan!!

Thanks again W0lfd0g
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #2,854 of 12,335
  After weeks of waiting....

Finally, I've got delivery
tongue.gif

That's a GEC 6AS7G Brown Base from Nathan!!

Thanks again W0lfd0g
biggrin.gif

Oh man such posts should come with a warning attached the temptation for us newbie crack addicts is damn near irresistible. Its taken me all my will power and resilience so far to hold off from buying any tubes until after my Crack kit arrives and then you go and post the above! It must seem like Christmas has come early in your house  :wink:

It would be great if you could give some feed back on the different combos when you try them.

In the meantime I will just have to satisfy myself by keeping an eye out on ebay and checking on a few dealers sites as I would like to have a couple of spares to hand.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,856 of 12,335
  From the crack.  Got a message from Doc B. saying it's probably a bad tube.  I've been listening for about 1 hour now with the stock 6080 and no issues, other than my head bobbing to the music :D

I said it was absolutely a bad tube and stop using it before the amp is permanently damaged. Seeing smoke is always bad. The smoke inside the parts is what makes amps work. If you let the smoke out of the parts they won't work anymore.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,858 of 12,335
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR][quote name="olegausany" url="/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/2850#post_9868252"]So after quick audition I clearly hear that GEC 6AS7G gives improved clarity of details and bass control. Remember that all these with not recommended HD700
Hey Oleg, Im glad to hear it worked out for you! Enjoy![/quote]

Thanks a lot but you made a big mistake. Which headphones you have?

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,860 of 12,335
I'm about to do the voltage check.  It says to attach the negative lead of the DMM to ground (terminal 12).  Then the next step says to turn the chassis over and reconnect the negative lead of the DMM to the ground bus.  Now it says to plug it in and turn it on to see if the filaments glow.  Then wait and test with the positive leads of the DMM.

Why am I putting the negative leads on in the first step.  And then putting them on again in the second step? 

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,861 of 12,335
That part of the instructions confused me as well. As long as you have checked for smoke you can safely unplug it, turn it over, put negative lead in t12, turn back on and take positive lead for the terminal readings.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,862 of 12,335
Last question, what if the TRS jack test at the end stays around a few mV (20-35)?  I thought I saw it jump to 1V, but I'm not sure.  I was touching the inboard TRS ring terminal with ground at terminal 12.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,863 of 12,335
As long as it doesn't go over 9v. Mine would slowly climb to a few volts then back down to 0. You should do the mod the guys from BH posted in their forums. You simply connect the 2 unused terminals from TRS jack to the bottom closest to plate. This will keep voltage at 0v when you power on.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,864 of 12,335
Edit, on mobile and can't seem to quote posts properly. This is re: Doc B's comment.

Just to be 100% clear, the smoke came from the crack and not the tube. The tube is intact on the outside. There is quite a lot of glass moving inside and you can see the 2 outer copper wires have glass broken off exposing a bit of copper. I can post pictures later, I am on mobile phone now and can't figure out how to attach.

since I don't have speedball on yet, are the 6080 and 2399 the same requirements? I purchased this tube from a fellow headfi member and we want to get to the bottom of this.

thanks,
Stephane

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,865 of 12,335
As long as it doesn't go over 9v. Mine would slowly climb to a few volts then back down to 0. You should do the mod the guys from BH posted in their forums. You simply connect the 2 unused terminals from TRS jack to the bottom closest to plate. This will keep voltage at 0v when you power on.

Thanks for your help (and the tip).  All done!  Everything checked out and it sounds great.  Couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back