Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,791 of 12,335
Its reassuring to know that it isnt just me. Speedball is on my list for sure. Im a little hesitant to tackle SMC soldering though...

It's totally manageable.  I'm not particularly dextrous and I was able to install the upgrade with no issues.  Plus, those heatsinks look pretty awesome.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,794 of 12,335

It's totally manageable.  I'm not particularly dextrous and I was able to install the upgrade with no issues.  Plus, those heatsinks look pretty awesome.  
biggrin.gif

+1 on the manageable part - nothing scary at all

Curse you, dsound, you've got me thinking about ways to display the heatsinks now!!

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #2,795 of 12,335
Well, my (second) pair of HD600's arrived today and I *finally* got to hear it with the Crack.  Not surprisingly, the combo is every bit as impressive as I envisioned it being.  Doing some swapping between the 600 & 800 on the Crack tonight.. where the HD800 separates itself from the HD600 is the (spectacularly open) soundstage, more effortless dynamics, an even blacker background, wider frequency bandwidth, and better resolving ability.  Also, I found the HD800's can texture with more finesse.  There are more subtle differences between the two phones.. but those are the areas the differences were most obvious to me.  As far as comfort and fit, I actually prefer the HD600 to the HD800.  Versus the HD800, the HD600 is lighter & I prefer the 600's (comparatively) tighter clamp (since the HD800 tends to shift around somewhat easily when I swing or turn my head).

Setting all that aside and coming back to the sound..  I discovered that the HD600 (when driven by the SB'ed Crack) sounds just as engaging and enjoyable (to my ears) as the HD800 does.  Sure the HD800 is more adept and does sound (technically) superior, but what I love most about the Senn/Crack pairing is the organic tonality.  I've also come to realize that with full sized, open headphones, I tend to value tonal quality more than absolute technical ability or ultra-high resolution.  So, I'm going to miss my (already sold) HD800's immense technical ability and mesmerizing soundstage.. but I can't say I'm going to be devastated to see it go... thanks to just how impressive the HD600 sounds w/ the Crack.  This is the second time I've owned the HD600.. now that I've found what appears to be its 'kindred' amp, I don't anticipate this rig leaving my possession for the foreseeable future.

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,796 of 12,335
  Look what came in the mail today...

GEC 6AS7G Brown Base care of Nathan!

dang... that dark brown finish with the dark grey hammered metal paint looks nice... think I might do that color scheme too!

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,797 of 12,335
The Speedball does not use SMC. It is composed of much easier to solder thru hole components. In fact the only kit with SMCs we plan to do is the new DAC, and there the SMC bits will be pre assembled.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2,798 of 12,335

+1 on the manageable part - nothing scary at all

Curse you, dsound, you've got me thinking about ways to display the heatsinks now!!

beerchug.gif
  Vented plexi-window?

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2,801 of 12,335
I am assuming you would replace the existing caps with others of the same value. Question is how does that improve the sound, what does one cap (of the same value) do better than another?

Actually, I think I used 200uf film caps, whereas the stock electrolytics are 220uf. You could use anything in the 200-250uf range, provided they can handle the voltage. The benefit of film caps is they discharge faster than electrolytics. Bass, for example, draws a lot of power. Film caps can deliver that power faster than electrolytics.

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #2,802 of 12,335
The Speedball does not use SMC. It is composed of much easier to solder thru hole components. In fact the only kit with SMCs we plan to do is the new DAC, and there the SMC bits will be pre assembled.

New DAC ? When ? :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,804 of 12,335
Oct 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,805 of 12,335
Hi everyone

It is time for me to part ways with my Crack.  Unfortunately, its name was prophetic and I have truly become addicted to tube rolling, so much so that I am going to have to take the SS route for a while.

Anyway, please let me know if you are interested in any of the following tubes (my premium tubes that I had been holding back):

Output

2 x Chatham 2399 (5998 equivalent) - NOS white box
1 x Osram 6AS7G round brown base (same as GEC brown base, but with different label) - NOS NIB (sold)
2 x Mullard 6080WA - NOS NIB
3 x Tung Sol 7236 (computer rated version of 5998 in a straight bottle) - NOS white box
2 x Bendix slotted graphite plate 6080WB - NOS white box (1 sold, 1 remaining)

Driver

9 x Mullard E80CC - NOS NIB
2 x Siemens ECC82 silver plate - NOS minus ~50 hours NIB
1 x Amperex 7316 (ECC186) relabelled for IEC Mullard 1959 D getter - NOS minus ~50 hours NIB
2 x Amperex 7316 (ECC186) - NOS NIB
1 x Tung Sol 12AU7 black glass and black plates - NOS NIB (arrival pending)

Please send me a PM if you are interested in any of these and I will do my best to describe the sonic characteristics of each as I hear them.  Before making offers, please research their value.  These are premium tubes.  I'm not a tube trader, so I'm not out to make a profit.  That said, I'm trying to come back from a nasty financial situation. 

I've had fun, but it's time for me to heal, pay back my family and take a different path.  When a hobby controls your life, it's time to give that hobby a rest. 

beerchug.gif

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back