Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,296 of 12,335
Quote:
I have always had terrible problems with ceramic fuses blowing way faster than normal fuses, even in slow-blow form. Strongly recommend against them.

Alright what fuse would you recommend?

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,297 of 12,335
Check your caps and the small black resistors. I had one oriented incorrectly and blew about 5 fuses until I found the problem. Then, head to Radioshack and pick up some 1a 250v slow-blow fuses.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #2,298 of 12,335
Checking for the resistor resistance mean's nothing when trouble shooting amps. Check that you've actually soldered components with marked polarity the right way, no cold solder joints and things are soldered to the right place.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,300 of 12,335
Got my tubes today! Plugged em in and finished my voltage checks.
I am fortunate to not have any balance problems or noise problems. It's dead silent even at max volume!
I am very impressed by the sound. It's definitely a "smoother" sound compared to my iCan and E9k.
It's like comparing a 10 yr old single malt scotch to an 18 yr old one. Harsh vs mellow smooth.
So far so good. Going to spend a week or so listening stock then I'm adding the speedball.
I don't know if there's a break in period for tubes but I notice the volume is starting to increase so I have to turn down the knob a little.
Very cool kit. Great job to the guys at Bottlehead.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2,301 of 12,335
Thanks guys for all the help and after another 3 hours of troubleshooting I still can't find the reason why so I am going to blame it on the fuses at this point.  See how it works out when I get new fuses tomorrow.  

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,302 of 12,335
Check this out : http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=3074.0

Your rectifier diodes could be toasted...

Quote:
Hi guys I am building a crack and just finished and for some reason everytime I turn on the amp I blow a fuse even though all the resistances are correct.  I have also had a couple people double check my work and it seems as though everything is right.  Anyone have any suggestions?  here is a picture of it currently.  Also I am now using ceramic 500ma fuses even though that doesn't make any difference. I think. 

Thanks in advance.  For some reason this one is causing me trouble.  All the other ones I have build have been just fine.  
redface.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2,303 of 12,335
Quote:
Alright what fuse would you recommend?

Well, the one that came in your kit, for starters. But any bog standard glass fuse from the hardware store with the correct rating.

Obviously if it stills blows you have bigger problems.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,305 of 12,335
Just a reminder to everyone building a kit: if you have any problems, I highly recommend posting in the Bottlehead forum, rather than here. While Doc checks in here regularly, the Bottlehead team monitors the Bottlehead forum more frequently, and there are many seasoned Bottlehead customers who also provide helpful advice. You will get more timely, and comprehensive, service by posting on the Bottlehead forum than you will by posting here. Best regards, Adam

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,306 of 12,335
Quote:
Just a reminder to everyone building a kit: if you have any problems, I highly recommend posting in the Bottlehead forum, rather than here. While Doc checks in here regularly, the Bottlehead team monitors the Bottlehead forum more frequently, and there are many seasoned Bottlehead customers who also provide helpful advice. You will get more timely, and comprehensive, service by posting on the Bottlehead forum than you will by posting here. Best regards, Adam

+1 will keep that in mind, thanks.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,307 of 12,335
Thank you all for all your help and as it turns out it was just the fuses.  Everything is working and all the voltages are correct.  I am now in the process of installing speedball.  Again thank you for all the help. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,308 of 12,335
Quote:
Thank you all for all your help and as it turns out it was just the fuses.  Everything is working and all the voltages are correct.  I am now in the process of installing speedball.  Again thank you for all the help. 

Whew that's a relief i bet! Keep us posted on the upgrade 
popcorn.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,309 of 12,335
Quote:
Whew that's a relief i bet! Keep us posted on the upgrade 
popcorn.gif

Photos will be accompanying the upgrade.   Almost done too just need to make sure everything is working as it should be.  

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,310 of 12,335
Quote:
Photos will be accompanying the upgrade.   Almost done too just need to make sure everything is working as it should be.  

Sweet! I'm still munching... 
popcorn.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back