Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,101 of 12,347
I have this recurrent issue where I hear white noise through the Crack and I need to jiggle around the 12AU7 socket a bit for it to go away. The white noise does not fluctuate with the volume knob. Anyone know what might be causing this? I know it's not the tube since it happens irregardless of the tube I use and those tubes are quiet in other amps. I'm thinking it's a cold solder joint but wanted to hear any other thoughts before I try to resolder everything on that socket.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,103 of 12,347
Quote:
I just got news that we will be able to ship a few more kits, primarily ones that were ordered right before the sale and maybe some of the very first sale amps ordered. Then there will be a gap in shipping until the next production run of power transformers arrives, which have an ETA of August 20th. We are working to have everything else in place so that when the transformers get here the kits should ship right away.

Thanks for the update doc! Looks like I'll be waiting another few weeks or so, understandable considerining the unexpected volume of orders. keep us posted

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,105 of 12,347
Quote:

Ha! I see you posted on the Bottlehead forum, and Doc responded 12 minutes later! That's customer service for you...:wink:

Haha yeah thanks for the tip! I got impatient and just resoldered all the joints at the 12AU7 socket before I even checked for a response. It's back to being dead silent. Problem solved! 
size]

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,107 of 12,347
Quote:
I just got news that we will be able to ship a few more kits, primarily ones that were ordered right before the sale and maybe some of the very first sale amps ordered. Then there will be a gap in shipping until the next production run of power transformers arrives, which have an ETA of August 20th. We are working to have everything else in place so that when the transformers get here the kits should ship right away.

Trying to be a man of my word - the last few not-yet-shipped Crack orders that came in previous to the sale have shipped, and the first group of the sale kits have shipped. A few 120V sale kits shipped and a few 240V sale kits shipped. The next batch to ship will probably be on Monday, and that will be most or all of the outstanding 240V kits, as we have plenty 240V power transformers in stock. Eileen will be talking to our winder to see if we can sneak a few 120V transformers in ahead of the bulk of the order and get those shipping out again as soon as we can. Thanks to all for your patience. We got about 5 times the quantity of orders we expected, and we are pedaling really hard to get them all delivered.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,108 of 12,347
Quote:
Trying to be a man of my word - the last few not-yet-shipped Crack orders that came in previous to the sale have shipped, and the first group of the sale kits have shipped. A few 120V sale kits shipped and a few 240V sale kits shipped. The next batch to ship will probably be on Monday, and that will be most or all of the outstanding 240V kits, as we have plenty 240V power transformers in stock. Eileen will be talking to our winder to see if we can sneak a few 120V transformers in ahead of the bulk of the order and get those shipping out again as soon as we can. Thanks to all for your patience. We got about 5 times the quantity of orders we expected, and we are pedaling really hard to get them all delivered.

Thanks for the update Doc, great customer service! Can't wait to get hooked on Crack! 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,112 of 12,347
Excited to be receiving mine too.  Looks like I'll have to wait for next shipment batch though.  Not sure if this is an appropriate thread to be asking this though, but I was looking on getting an affordable upgrade driver tube and was wondering if anyone here can give me impressions of the re-issued Tung-Sol 6189.  I see that I can get it for around 15 bucks shipped on ebay and saw some positive feedback on the bottlehead forums, but was wondering if I should even bother or if it's not much of an improvement from the stock tube.  I'm not quite ready yet to be dropping big bucks for upgraded tubes and was just hoping to get the best bang for my buck (going to be pairing with NFB 11.32 and HD650).

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2,113 of 12,347
In general the reissue tubes have little to do with the originals other than that they work fine as replacements. Typically they are "select" samples of current production Russian tubes, sometimes with gold plated pins. Not saying it's a bad tube, the price is quite reasonable. Just saying, don't expect it to sound like a Tung Sol.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,115 of 12,347
That depends in part upon what the original tube is. We tend to buy old stock tubes and thus our customers receive whatever brands and types we may have acquired recently. Thus the assumption that it must be improved upon is not a given. I'm not really the guy to ask about what flavor of the week to buy as I use tubes that I gathered many years ago, that now go for stupid money. One that I like that is not stupid expensive is the Mullard CV4003. There is a thread about 500 posts long on the Bottlehead Forum that is all about what tubes people use in their Crack amps. Reading it might be an interesting way to spend an hour or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back