Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #1,141 of 12,347
Using the Sennheiser HD 800, has anyone compared the Bottlehead Crack and the Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade?

May 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,142 of 12,347
I don't recall the Crack I had been borrowing getting quite so warm as the one I just completed does. The top plate and power tube base, especially. 

All the resistance and voltage checks out, though some of the voltage readings did trend high. 1/5/7/9 were all about 20% high. Everything else was dead on or less than 10-15% high.

Sounds great with only a slight background hiss. Just checking to make sure nothing is wonky. 

May 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,143 of 12,347
update:

Doc B confirmed on the Bottlehead forum that all was well, and it's doing what it should with the 6080 tube. 

May 4, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #1,144 of 12,347
Just got my headphones...DT880s...now just waiting for my Crack....almost 5 weeks now....

May 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,145 of 12,347
Quote:
Just got my headphones...DT880s...now just waiting for my Crack....almost 5 weeks now....

Can't wait to get your impression on the Crack. Hopefully you can bring it to our next meet 
biggrin.gif
. I want to try my T1 with it.

May 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,148 of 12,347
I actually just picked up a used factory assembled Crack w/ Speedball from the FS here.  My setup will be Matrix Mini-i --> Crack ---> HD650. I just bought the HD650 as well and it'll show up separately with the amp next week.  I have to say I'm pretty excited.  I kind of wished I had built the amp myself after seeing all the upgrade possibilities.  I'm tempted to pick up a bare kit this summer to learn with and mod.

May 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,149 of 12,347
Quote:
as far as high impedance phones go... this is the best amp i'd gather.

Best? No - there are many that will outperform it in just about every measure (the Zana Deux, for instance). What the Crack offers, however, is great value. Fantastic performance, especially for the price. You have to spend a good chunk of change to outperform it. 

May 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,150 of 12,347
Quote:

Congrats on the DT880.  The wait will worth it.

May 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,151 of 12,347
Quote:
I actually just picked up a used factory assembled Crack w/ Speedball from the FS here.  My setup will be Matrix Mini-i --> Crack ---> HD650. I just bought the HD650 as well and it'll show up separately with the amp next week.  I have to say I'm pretty excited.  I kind of wished I had built the amp myself after seeing all the upgrade possibilities.  I'm tempted to pick up a bare kit this summer to learn with and mod.

My crack is stock and I am very happy with it.

May 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,152 of 12,347
Quote:

My crack is stock and I am very happy with it.

I really like mine with my HD650's!

Ben aka MacKat

May 5, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #1,153 of 12,347
I'm very serious considering popping my DIY cherry and ordering a Crack - to the point where I'm already considering finish options.

Has anybody powdercoated their top-plate and transformer cover?  Powercoating doesn't like too much heat IIRC and I was wondering if the Crack generates enough heat to worry the powdercoat?

N

May 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #1,154 of 12,347
Quote:
Your profile says you have Schiit Lyr . Did you compare Lyr and Crack on HD800?

Nah, If i'm gonna bust out my Lyr it's for my LCDs. Crack is much better for the HD800s.
Quote:

Best? No - there are many that will outperform it in just about every measure (the Zana Deux, for instance). What the Crack offers, however, is great value. Fantastic performance, especially for the price. You have to spend a good chunk of change to outperform it. 

When I say best that's exactly what i mean... taking into consideration price and performance. You get absolutely phenomenal sound out of the crack. I have no interest or inclination to even try out something like the zana deux. I mean why??? I'd rather spend that kind of money towards a better amp for my speakers.

May 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,155 of 12,347
Quote:

Has anybody powdercoated their top-plate and transformer cover?  Powercoating doesn't like too much heat IIRC and I was wondering if the Crack generates enough heat to worry the powdercoat?

N

Yes you can powdercoat both and they will handle the heat. We have done quite a few over the years. Be careful to clean the transformer bell end very thoroughly as it has a sort of oily/sticky coating to keep the raw steel from rusting. Running it in the dishwasher will usually strip it off. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back