Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #811 of 12,347
Oct 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #812 of 12,347

http://www.partsconnexion.com/tkd_64187.html <- I can strongly recommend this as an upgrade to the included pot. Considerably better than the Alps Blue pot in most commercial amps as well.

Was it really night and day difference between stock pot and this one? $100 is a lot to spend on volume control and I haven't heard any channel imbalance yet. Where would you rank this on the list of upgrades you'd recommend making? Thanks.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #813 of 12,347

Quote:
Was it really night and day difference between stock pot and this one? $100 is a lot to spend on volume control and I haven't heard any channel imbalance yet. Where would you rank this on the list of upgrades you'd recommend making? Thanks.

+1

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #814 of 12,347

Quote:

+2

I don't hear any channel imbalance in my Crack either using the stock volume pot.  A $100 volume control upgrade in an amp kit that costs $219 better make a huge sonic difference.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #815 of 12,347
Does anyone know how many mW a Crack puts out?

I am not sure if it can drive the HD 600 to its *full* potential.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #816 of 12,347

Quote:

It drives my DT880 600Ohm to it's full potential with alot more to give on demand. It will drive your HD600 like it was just training day.

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #817 of 12,347
My first crack had only minor imbalance at the lowest levels. My second had a very serious imbalance to the point where one side didn't even attenuate fully (though at normal listening it was balanced); but Doc had a new pot sent out to me.

Quote:

I've driven an HD600, HD650, the Beyers in every single impedance rating, and my 600 ohm Sextetts, all with ample headroom to spare.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #818 of 12,347
Do you know do they work at the weekend? Eileen was very helpful and promised me shipping fee to overseas combined with crack / speedball so that i can make my order, but i´m thinking should i make the order from website already, just to make sure i dont miss the price reduction

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #819 of 12,347

Quote:

Speedball first, but I would upgrade the pot before I bothered upgrading the output caps.

Quote:
I don't hear any channel imbalance in my Crack either using the stock volume pot.  A $100 volume control upgrade in an amp kit that costs $219 better make a huge sonic difference.

Yeah, I wouldn't put one in a stock Crack. But if you are going balls to the wall with Speeball, output caps, 5998 tubes, etc. etc. then the $100 for an excellent pot makes a lot more sense.

In all fairness, I didn't realise the pot was now $100. They used to be $72, and I picked mine up during PCX's 20% off sale. Absolute no brainer for the ~$58 I paid.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #821 of 12,347

Quote:
.......so I'm imagining the Crack, as a dedicated headphone amp, will be the one to have.

Depends on your headphones.  The Crack is only compatible with higher impedance cans.  The Sex works with all impedances since it uses output transformers.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #822 of 12,347

Quote:

Speedball first, but I would upgrade the pot before I bothered upgrading the output caps.

Yeah, I wouldn't put one in a stock Crack. But if you are going balls to the wall with Speeball, output caps, 5998 tubes, etc. etc. then the $100 for an excellent pot makes a lot more sense.

In all fairness, I didn't realise the pot was now $100. They used to be $72, and I picked mine up during PCX's 20% off sale. Absolute no brainer for the ~$58 I paid.

Agree, after all those upgrades, a new volume pot is not out off line..  I've done the Speedball, but didn't install fly leads.  So, doing the cap upgrade would be more difficult.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #823 of 12,347

Quote:

Seconded. A bit superficial of me, but I like seeing numbers. What's the power output @ 300ohms?

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #824 of 12,347
I have had this kit sitting for a year now......finally started the wiring up today because a buddy motivated me to finish this project & offered assistance. Hopefully the rest will be done tomorrow.

all going in this finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back