Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 29, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #691 of 12,335

Quote:
I buit an entire Bottlehead system shortly after building a few CMOY amps. The instructions are very thorough; you just need to learn how to use your soldering iron to make good joints. My Bottlehead system includes two Paramount (mono block amps; one for each channnel), Seduction (phono pre-amp), and Foreplay III (pre-amp) all worked from the start. Follow the directions, take your time and anyone can build a Bottlehead kit.

I am smitten by the Crack and long to build one. After selling my HD650's and Woo Audio WA6SE, I still yearn for the times I would have slipped on the headphones and escaped for a little while.

You owe it to yourself to build the crack breakfastchef.
Sounds like you have a very nice system.
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #692 of 12,335
I can't speak for the crack's performance, but all I can say is Elaine and Doc at bottlehead are the best people I've ever dealt with. They responded to all my emails and addressed all the problems I ran into, even though the issues were all caused by me. A fantastic couple (and company) . I would definitely recommend them if you are considering purchasing a diy amp, or anything that they offer.

thanks for all the trouble Elaine & Doc :)

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #693 of 12,335

I can back that statement as I spoke to both and they are just plain GREAT!  In fact I told Doc that talking to him is just great as I have spoken to some audio sellers that just thinks that they're a gift to the audio world. One thing's for sure, you don't get my dinero.
Quote:
I can't speak for the crack's performance, but all I can say is Elaine and Doc at bottlehead are the best people I've ever dealt with. They responded to all my emails and addressed all the problems I ran into, even though the issues were all caused by me. A fantastic couple (and company) . I would definitely recommend them if you are considering purchasing a diy amp, or anything that they offer.

thanks for all the trouble Elaine & Doc :)

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #698 of 12,335
I feed mine with a Fubar II MKII. I'm kind of partial to an NOS DAC. I really like the Fubar for it's versatility. I've rolled a couple different op-amps in it.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #700 of 12,335
I am almost ready to buy the Crack. How does this work with the shipping? Do I have to wait until they get some in? Also, will the DT880/600 synergize well with the stock Crack?

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #701 of 12,335
You place your order, wait a bit until they have all the parts on stock (if they don't already), then they ship it to you. 

It pairs very well with the DT880/600. I used to have one and it sounded good (and this coming from a guy who doesn't like Beyers). 

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #702 of 12,335

Quote:
I am almost ready to buy the Crack. How does this work with the shipping? Do I have to wait until they get some in? Also, will the DT880/600 synergize well with the stock Crack?

Generally it takes 3-4 weeks to get in.
The Crack, in it's stock form, pairs very well with the DT 880/600. I haven't done the speedball upgrade yet, but I did order a coupe AXON 91uF caps and an Alps blue velvet pot yesterday. Speedball will be next. Also thinking of swapping the stock 1/4" jack for a Neutrik locking style.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #705 of 12,335

Quote:
Bought a pair of tung sol 5998 tubes.
These work together with the standard (the one that came with the kit) "little" tube, right?

Correct.  The 5998 tube is equivalent to the 6080 power tube that came in the amp.  6AS7G is another equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back