Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #631 of 12,335
Hey Now,

Just finished up my Crack today. Woo-hoo, it sounds terrific with the HD650s as many have stated. Really enjoying it. 

I had to re-solder a cold joint to get the right channel to play, otherwise it was a very enjoyable build. I love the Bottlehead support and instructions. I bought the Crack and Speedball together, but am going to listen to the stock Crack for a while before doing the Speedball upgrade. I already got some tubes for rolling, a Sylvania and Electro-Harmonix. 

I wanna build something else, maybe a Foreplay?

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #632 of 12,335
Hey Now,

Just finished up my Crack today. Woo-hoo, it sounds terrific with the HD650s as many have stated. Really enjoying it. 

I had to re-solder a cold joint to get the right channel to play, otherwise it was a very enjoyable build. I love the Bottlehead support and instructions. I bought the Crack and Speedball together, but am going to listen to the stock Crack for a while before doing the Speedball upgrade. I already got some tubes for rolling, a Sylvania and Electro-Harmonix. 

I wanna build something else, maybe a Foreplay?

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Update the caps! LoL, I plan on upgrading my caps soon as a "summer" project. It's going to be expensive -_-. I'll probably get the speedball as well.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #633 of 12,335
Here is a quick pic of my crack/speedball :

This still needs to be finished, but I put it back together to listen for a few days until I have time to sand, re-coat and add the finishing touches...(new knob, cap the side holes, ect.)

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #635 of 12,335
Yes, it is all wood, I wanted to keep it simple and inexpensive. I have been buying a lot of tubes lately!

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #636 of 12,335
Due to tight finances, I have to part ways w/ my Bottlehead Crack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280698792806&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Good day.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #639 of 12,335
Did you design that yourself or find plans somewhere? That is outstanding. My creativity level is near zero but I can build lots of stuff if I had the plans. 

Quote:
Here is a quick pic of my crack/speedball :

This still needs to be finished, but I put it back together to listen for a few days until I have time to sand, re-coat and add the finishing touches...(new knob, cap the side holes, ect.)

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #640 of 12,335
Thank you for the kind comments! I did design it myself and cut everything on a sliding compound miter saw and a table saw. I still haven't gotten around to the recoat...

I bought Skylab's custom Bottlehead, but the chassis was a bit big for everyday use. (I can easily replace the panel to the original build in the future)

I am using a Nuforce HDP as a DAC/Preamp and for tubes:

Tung-sol 5998 and RCA 6as7g

12au7's:
Tung-sol black glass
Westinghouse blackplates
Amperex Bugle Boy
Brimar 13d5's
RCA blackplates
RCA Cleartop
+
Amperex 6085.

It sounds GREAT paired with the HD800's and the Dt880's!

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #644 of 12,335

Quote:
^ G.E.C makes those tubes.  I believe Genelec is a Finnish company that makes monitor speakers.

Yeah, the tube brand name is Genelex, not Genelec. It's confusing because a pair of the speakers is usually referred to in plural -  "Genelecs" in a studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back