Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 1, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #586 of 12,347
Hi! I just got my bottlehead crack kit this friday and yesterday evening I started to put the things in place, then I noticed that one of the rca-jacks looks really strange, I tried taking a rca-cable to test if it fit and it sure did, do you think it is something I should worry about?

Oh! And also one more thing. I get confused with the safety ground, I currently have two screws left, one philips 3/8" and one normal (star) 3/8" and one #8 lockwasher and one small lockwasher. In the manual it says that I should use  #8 screw, lockwasher, soldertab, lockwasher but I only have ony big lockwasher left and one small, and the small one doesn't fit the screw. 
And what should I do with the screw thats left? I've read trough the manual several times but I can't figure out where to put the last one.

May 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #589 of 12,347

Quote:
Hi! I just got my bottlehead crack kit this friday and yesterday evening I started to put the things in place, then I noticed that one of the rca-jacks looks really strange, I tried taking a rca-cable to test if it fit and it sure did, do you think it is something I should worry about?

I would be concerned about the signal and ground contacts shorting together when the RCA cable is connected.

May 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #590 of 12,347
I got that much anticipated e-mail today telling me the Crack has been shipped. 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #591 of 12,347
Same here! Yay! Will finish building by Sunday :D

May 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #593 of 12,347

Quote:
I have my crack and speedball kit to.  Just waiting for the mail man to deliver the Axon film caps so I can start building it.

I'd say build away.  As Beefy previously advised me, you will want to put in fly leads and zip tie mounts for the Axons before installing your speedball, but the Axons will actually go in last.

May 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #594 of 12,347
I'd say build away.  As Beefy previously advised me, you will want to put in fly leads and zip tie mounts for the Axons before installing your speedball, but the Axons will actually go in last.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are fly leads? Are they just wires soldered to where the capacitor should attach to so it can reach where the axon is placed?

May 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #596 of 12,347
Thanks, am I limited to use a 250V Film cap? I'm looking around for other film caps besides axon and am wondering if there's a minimum uf and volts or maximum uf and volts I can use for the crack. Sorry, I don't know anything about electronics and I'm still new to DIY'ing. I'm getting there though. :)

May 3, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #597 of 12,347
The cap should not be rated lower than 160V and 50µF. There is no real maximum, although you would need to make some other tweaks if you go above, say, 200µF.

May 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #599 of 12,347
The cap should not be rated lower than 160V and 50µF. There is no real maximum, although you would need to make some other tweaks if you go above, say, 200µF.

Thanks a lot. Now that cleared stuff up.

May 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #600 of 12,347
There was a chart posted on the BH forums a while back looking at the appropriate range for substitute output caps.  (It is referenced in this thread http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,526.60.html but the link appears to be broken and the image does not display.) 

My recollection is that if you go below a certain threshold capacitance, it will result in bass roll-off, but that threshold varies based on the impedance of your cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back