Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 17, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #12,166 of 12,335
Sadly Some tubes have counterfeit markings. Including ones used in the Crack. The rarer they are - the more likely to be fake. The other issue is "NOS" tubes in general. As if thats enough on its own. Most of the stuff I see doesn't come with any test data - just some glad handed "they sound great, way better than any new tubes", and so on. You get tests when the vendor is honest or the results are stellar.

I did a lot of tube rolling in the 90's and the prices compared to now are insane. All I wanted recently is a good tested TungSol 5998. Bought 2 in the past 15 months, and they were all crap - not NOS - just Old Stock.

Sorry to be a downer, It's hard NOT to get ripped off by poor quality or insane prices - in the NOS world.
Yeah, even with the little experience I have acquired in the last months I can definitely tell that it's a bit of a roulette as for what you get when buying tubes. Among mine I have a good portion that show defects like ringing here and there, but at least I luckily got a perfect sounding 5998 on my first purchase which I love dearly.
Now I just have to fix an issue with my Crack that has been making me despair for weeks, so that I'd actually be able to listen to my tubes. :triportsad:

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #12,167 of 12,335
Yeah, even with the little experience I have acquired in the last months I can definitely tell that it's a bit of a roulette as for what you get when buying tubes. Among mine I have a good portion that show defects like ringing here and there, but at least I luckily got a perfect sounding 5998 on my first purchase which I love dearly.
Now I just have to fix an issue with my Crack that has been making me despair for weeks, so that I'd actually be able to listen to my tubes. :triportsad:
I envy that 5998. what's your issue? One channel or both? Was it working well then had the issue? Was everything well buttoned up when you finished it?

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #12,168 of 12,335
I envy that 5998. what's your issue? One channel or both? Was it working well then had the issue? Was everything well buttoned up when you finished it?
I have a really bad noise only in the right channel. It's like an intermittent crackling. Originally I was able to interact with the noise and make it louder or quieter by wiggling the 6080 tube a little bit, but now I can't seem to do that anymore. I have tried a lot of things but haven't found the source of the problem yet.
If you'd like to read about it in detail, I have this open thread on the Bottlehead forum where I explain everything I have tested https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=15088.0
I would really really appreciate any input or ideas on what I could try.
This was my first DIY project ever and knew nothing about soldering or electronics before. The amp actually worked perfectly for a couple months, but now this noise has been ruining my days.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #12,169 of 12,335
I have a really bad noise only in the right channel. It's like an intermittent crackling. Originally I was able to interact with the noise and make it louder or quieter by wiggling the 6080 tube a little bit, but now I can't seem to do that anymore. I have tried a lot of things but haven't found the source of the problem yet.
If you'd like to read about it in detail, I have this open thread on the Bottlehead forum where I explain everything I have tested https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=15088.0
I would really really appreciate any input or ideas on what I could try.
This was my first DIY project ever and knew nothing about soldering or electronics before. The amp actually worked perfectly for a couple months, but now this noise has been ruining my days.
In the shot with the two coffin resistors next to the bottom of one of the tubes, there is a red cable next to a green with a very long tail that looks like it might be touching. I'd cut off all long tails, and also use alcohol on Q tips to wipe all the solder paste away and visually inspect, then I'd do continuity tests to be sure there is no shorting. The other thing is that it look like your iron gets very hot (that nice clear silver look of the solder), have you reheated multiple times for long periods (> :10 seconds)? You may have damaged one of the discrete components. I always use heat sinks to eat up the heat when I solder to prevent that. I also use teflon sleeving on exposed discrete component leads.

I also find it useful to walk away and take a long walk or do something else that's intricate/absorbing - then get back to it with a fresh mind/attitude because frustration is a perception killer.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-ptfe.jpg
    Untitled-ptfe.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #12,170 of 12,335
In the shot with the two coffin resistors next to the bottom of one of the tubes, there is a red cable next to a green with a very long tail that looks like it might be touching. I'd cut off all long tails, and also use alcohol on Q tips to wipe all the solder paste away and visually inspect, then I'd do continuity tests to be sure there is no shorting. The other thing is that it look like your iron gets very hot (that nice clear silver look of the solder), have you reheated multiple times for long periods (> :10 seconds)? You may have damaged one of the discrete components. I always use heat sinks to eat up the heat when I solder to prevent that. I also use teflon sleeving on exposed discrete component leads.

I also find it useful to walk away and take a long walk or do something else that's intricate/absorbing - then get back to it with a fresh mind/attitude because frustration is a perception killer.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for the input. I will definitely look into it.
And yes, I am defintely guilty of getting overly frustrated over spending a lot of time looking for a solution to an issue such as this one. I'm going to try to keep my spirits up.

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #12,173 of 12,335
My dedicated CD/headphone setup: a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp I built (with all the upgrades) and Grado RS1x cans. The Yamaha CD-S303 is also connected to the main system with an optical cable.

20231120-080021.jpg

20221224-135635.jpg

20221224-135553.jpg

20231120-080612.jpg
With such a dedicated living room you're probably single or divorced (after executing this room) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
or maybe have a Sh&#% load of $ :ksc75smile::ksc75smile: and a biggg house.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #12,174 of 12,335
Well we moved into this house a year and a half ago and I claimed that room from the get-go. I call it the music room but technically I think it's called a media room. It's a big house so there's also a living room and a family room that wifey can decorate any way she so chooses. As far as having a crap load of money, you're basically looking at it. I've been collecting vinyl since the late 60's when I was 12 years old and have some very valuable pieces. Here's a view of the other end of the room with a bunch of crappy guitars. The good stuff is in their cases in the other room. :sunglasses:
20230219-224939.jpg

And here's what the room looked like when we moved in. A crap load of hours were put into that room, designed and executed all by my lonesome. :sweat::sweat::sweat:
20220924-115259.jpg

20220924-115203.jpg

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #12,175 of 12,335
Well we moved into this house a year and a half ago and I claimed that room from the get-go. I call it the music room but technically I think it's called a media room. It's a big house so there's also a living room and a family room that wifey can decorate any way she so chooses. As far as having a crap load of money, you're basically looking at it. I've been collecting vinyl since the late 60's when I was 12 years old and have some very valuable pieces. Here's a view of the other end of the room with a bunch of crappy guitars. The good stuff is in their cases in the other room. :sunglasses:
20230219-224939.jpg

And here's what the room looked like when we moved in. A crap load of hours were put into that room, designed and executed all by my lonesome. :sweat::sweat::sweat:
20220924-115259.jpg

20220924-115203.jpg
That's awesome and especially doing it all single handed, hope you worked on the sound proofing to keep the wifey happy in her space too :relaxed:
Good job man and enjoy it :beyersmile:

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #12,176 of 12,335
Hi all,

Considering the purchase of a crack w/speedball to pair with my ZMF Atrium's. Did I read somewhere that Bottlehead plans to wrap up business at some point in the near future? Would hate to get this thing together and then be on my own for potential troubleshooting down the line.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #12,177 of 12,335
Hi all,

Considering the purchase of a crack w/speedball to pair with my ZMF Atrium's. Did I read somewhere that Bottlehead plans to wrap up business at some point in the near future? Would hate to get this thing together and then be on my own for potential troubleshooting down the line.

Bottlehead designs are amongst the best documented and best selling DIY projects in the entire hobby. This thread is 812 pages long, covering hundreds of owners over more than a decade. Future troubleshooting seems like a minor concern.

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #12,178 of 12,335
Has anyone here tried the Bottlehead Stat Electrostatic Headphone Energizer?
Yes, I tried it at a local meet up and it was/is really damned good. IIRC, it is tuned for a specific pair of Stax headphones. I was listening to a $$$ pair of planars just before the estat, the estat amp & HP's provided more resolution/clarity.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #12,179 of 12,335
Anyone know if TSA allows you to take an 12AU7 and a 6SN7 tube in your carry on with you on a plane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back