Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 17, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #11,252 of 12,335
Not changing tubes?

Yeah you could do that and roll different tubes.

With adapters (make sure they are the 6.3V type) in the driver slot, you could try the 6SN7, or the 6J5s (you'll need two of these because each 6J5 is 1/2 of the 6SN7).

I'd only recommend changing the inner stock parts if you are confident enough to do the mods, or probably you could send your stock crack to someone who could do the mods for you.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #11,253 of 12,335
hey, fairly new to OTL tube amps and assembled a crack a few months ago. Actually the experience with the HD800S I have is kind of underwhelming. Sounded pretty normal to me, despite all the hype the crack gets with senns cans. Was just wondering maybe I should change the stock tubes? I have no experience with tube rolling, but if it could improve the sound a bit (especially the soundstage, I mean the crack just took away all the soundstage my HD800S had..). Any advice from experienced users would be nice. Thanks in advance. Oh I use a Aune X8 dac magic as my dac with burson vivid op amps.

Congratulations on building your Crack. I can understand where you're coming from with your hd800 I use them as well and have built a number of Cracks in the past. The Crack is a fun amp it's reputation is essentially built off of its pairing with the Senn 600 & 650.

it's possible with premium tubes and some straight forward modifications to make noticeable gains in its sonics with the hd800 that's probably the route that the majority of Crack users take no matter what headphones they use with it.

Ultimately though the thing to bear in mind is even when spending on expensive tubes and upgraded components and modifications your hd800 performance is still going to be restricted by the Cracks technical ability.

What you will end up with taking that path will sound very nice and you will end up with a unique to you amp.

However its of importance to understand that while that is a enjoyable journey to undertake with the Crack it would be more financially economical to just go with one a more capable amp than spend time and money upgrading a Crack.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #11,254 of 12,335
I put in one of my 7N7 tv tubes with two adapters. I have the 6sn7 adapter then Woo's 7N7 adapter. The tube is sitting almost as high as the RCA 6AS7G very good sound. I'm waiting on more RCA 6AS7G tubes of different decades and hopefully a replacement to my current one which has noise heard in cathode tube tv's so not a hum more midrange pitch only coming out of the right channel.

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #11,255 of 12,335
Here's the crack two adapters and 7n7 Westinghouse.
PXL_20211117_174825936~2.jpg

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #11,256 of 12,335
hey, fairly new to OTL tube amps and assembled a crack a few months ago. Actually the experience with the HD800S I have is kind of underwhelming. Sounded pretty normal to me, despite all the hype the crack gets with senns cans. Was just wondering maybe I should change the stock tubes? I have no experience with tube rolling, but if it could improve the sound a bit (especially the soundstage, I mean the crack just took away all the soundstage my HD800S had..). Any advice from experienced users would be nice. Thanks in advance. Oh I use a Aune X8 dac magic as my dac with burson vivid op amps.
What are the stock tubes you have now?

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #11,258 of 12,335
Is there a good resource on Crack + Speedball upgrades a first time builder can do while making the thing? I want to do my first build, but also have a bit of extra money where I can do the upgrades during the build.
Bottlehead recommends not doing upgrades during the initial build and I completely agree. It just gets harder to diagnose any issues.

Down the road there is a speedball upgrade, switching to film caps, adding a choke, and switching to Cree diodes.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #11,259 of 12,335
Bottlehead recommends not doing upgrades during the initial build and I completely agree. It just gets harder to diagnose any issues.

Down the road there is a speedball upgrade, switching to film caps, adding a choke, and switching to Cree diodes.

I agree, from my personal experience.

Do the basic Crack build first, not even with the Speedball upgrade, so that there will be less trouble for beginners. Otherwise, too much frustration could lead to give-up.

Once the basic Crack is successfully done, you can then add SB, and mods later.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #11,261 of 12,335
I am glad that you are ok, I think i have the same adapter bought from Garage 1217 on Ebay. The first thing that i noticed the metal that exposed at the bottom, it is hazardous to your health so i hacked it by cutting a part of plastic tube for medicine to cover it. It fits perfectly and prevent you from touching the base. 1113211738.jpg1113211739.jpg

I have said many times here on the Crack thread - don't buy these Garage 1217 adapters, they are half done products. The exposed metal contacts on these Garage 1217 adapters pose huge hazards to safety, they could lead to shorts, shocks, or even death. Keep your kids away from these adapters!

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #11,262 of 12,335
I have said many times here on the Crack thread - don't buy these Garage 1217 adapters, they are half done products. The exposed metal contacts on these Garage 1217 adapters pose huge hazards to safety, they could lead to shorts, shocks, or even death. Keep your kids away from these adapters!
Agreed, the first crack I ever owned was purchased instead of built by me, and the input socket was slightly recessed. The garage adapter shorted the amp, while the eBay adapter from xulingmrs worked fine.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #11,263 of 12,335
Yeah, your case is the second case of Garage 1217 adapter shorting Crack chassis that I've seen here. Some Crack builders like to keep their 12AU7 socket low-profile, so they choose to mount it from the bottom of the chassis instead of to the top. Then, there won't be enough clearance for these exposed solder joints at the bottom of these Garage 1217 adapters, they will touch the metal chassis/screws and cause shorts.

Adding a plastic/rubber cylinder will protect against the exposed metal legs on top of the Garage 1217 adapters, but still the exposed solder joints at the bottom pose another threat to safety.

All in all, these Garage 1217 adapters lack of basic safety considerations (tubes are high voltage stuff in general, hence the exposed metal contacts pose huge threats), they are half-done products and should be avoided IMO.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #11,264 of 12,335
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #11,265 of 12,335
Yep…either of these are better and insulated.
You want 6.3 volt version when buying these for standard BHC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203513997654?hash=item2f62612956:g:olsAAOSw5VFWLiss

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294212319817?hash=item44806bba49:g:G14AAOSwXuRe5Ey3

Deyan also can make you one and is a member here.

Just to strengthen the recommendation - I had Deyan build me several adapters and I am very, very satisfied with the products and entire process. Highly recommended instead of what I am reading above about dangerous, half-finished adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back