Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 24, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #10,217 of 12,335
First time crack builder ordering an alps from parts express.

What else should I be ordering to tweak the crack over the coming months?

I would recommend this order: speedball, alps, output caps, Cree diodes, choke, other caps. Stop anytime :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #10,219 of 12,335
What adapters are popular for the 12au7 socket? I thought I saw 6n7g tubes earlier on the thread (I have some nice ones), but was surprised by the "6"...
@Deyan Makes really nice ones. Garage 1217 does too.

The one in the pic, is from @Deyan, amd this one is top notch point to point wiring.

20200710_060159.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #10,220 of 12,335
@Deyan Makes really nice ones. Garage 1217 does too.

The one in the pic, is from @Deyan, amd this one is top notch point to point wiring.

20200710_060159.jpg

Your volume knob seems to be sitting a little high. Is it fully seated?

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #10,221 of 12,335
Your volume knob seems to be sitting a little high. Is it fully seated?
Good eye! It is fully seated but I believe the shaft is a bit longer on the Alps Blue Velvet pot that was used, instead of the stock pot. The pot is smooth as silk, has no play whatsoever, and zero channel imbalance when I turn the knob. I did not build this, and I assume the guy who did, didn't want to risk messing up the threads by cutting down the shaft, but I never asked because it works perfectly anyway.

With all the pics I have posted of my beloved BHC, I am shocked @Little Bear was the first to notice my high sitting pot. :wink: My amp is a little special and has a little flaw, but hey it sounds and looks killer to me.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #10,222 of 12,335
Heh, I had the same issue with the length of the blue alps pot, so I had to break out the saw...

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #10,223 of 12,335
Heh, I had the same issue with the length of the blue alps pot, so I had to break out the saw...
It doesn't bother me, which is actually kind of shocking for how OCD I am with everything. I kind of like having my hand further away from the top plate when turning the knob, as to not cause microphonics from vibrations, but then again maybe I am just telling myself that, so I don't fret over it. :wink:

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #10,224 of 12,335
If you ever wanted to switch to one that can take the longer shaft, Audio Note makes some nice brass knobs, a gold or black one might match well. The bottom is counterbored so it hides the lock nut. Lots of other options out there too on Mouser, Dig-Key, etc.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/audio-note-knobs.html

Or just use the completely functional stock one, just an idea! :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #10,225 of 12,335
So I ordered one from China that was 25mm tall, thinking it would be perfect. Unfortunately, the interior shaft was still 15 or so mm, just like all the others. Annoying!

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #10,226 of 12,335
With all the pics I have posted of my beloved BHC, I am shocked @Little Bear was the first to notice my high sitting pot. :wink: My amp is a little special and has a little flaw, but hey it sounds and looks killer to me.

Actually, it's because your BHC looks so nice that I stared at it long enough to notice! :) Especially the nicely finished base. Personally I like the knob currently on it, but if you wanted to drop it down a smidge, you could use a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool to shorten the shaft a couple of mm's. Or you could just paint the visible nut black so it isn't noticeable. Doesn't matter though. Nice Crack!

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #10,227 of 12,335
@Wes S Easiest way to cover that gap is to replace the knob with another one with a higher mounting point. Richard has some really nice NOS bakelite knobs off old radios and I bet you could find one that would cover the base more and look unique. I've bought a few knobs and tubes from him and everything is good quality.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LeedsRadio?ref=pr_faveshops&section_id=13888066

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #10,228 of 12,335
@Wes S Easiest way to cover that gap is to replace the knob with another one with a higher mounting point. Richard has some really nice NOS bakelite knobs off old radios and I bet you could find one that would cover the base more and look unique. I've bought a few knobs and tubes from him and everything is good quality.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LeedsRadio?ref=pr_faveshops&section_id=13888066
Thanks! I have bought tubes from Richard, and know he is legit. However, I am fine with it the way it is, and only talked about it because it was mentioned by someone else. No worries folks, my BHC sounds and looks fine to me.:ok_hand:

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #10,229 of 12,335
Thanks! I have bought tubes from Richard, and know he is legit. However, I am fine with it the way it is, and only talked about it because it was mentioned by someone else. No worries folks, my BHC sounds and looks fine to me.:ok_hand:
Personally, I think it looks fine @Wes S . That said, if anyone wants some free knobs, I have some I took off an old recurved I scrapped. They are aluminum and pretty.

Attachments

• 0729202004.jpg
    0729202004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 30, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #10,230 of 12,335
Personally, I think it looks fine @Wes S . That said, if anyone wants some free knobs, I have some I took off an old recurved I scrapped. They are aluminum and pretty.
I might be interested. Depends on if the interior hole diameter is .250 (6.35) or larger :wink:. I bought a 6mm and it doesn't fit on my PEC Pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back