Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #10,141 of 12,335
That reminds me of a guy who made a similar comment on a different forum. He was in an argument with others about whether he was wasting money on his $10k speaker cables. His position was, what does it matter whether the difference he heard was real or not? If he hears it, his outlay was justified even if it's just placebo effect.

I myself have never believed that any type of cables make a difference, and thus I've never heard a difference. To hear it, you must first believe it. Hearing occurs in the brain, not in the ears.

When I got my turntable (upon returning to vinyl) I had trouble with buzzing from the stock cable. Replaced it with some spare Digital Coax cables with the RCA ends and buzzing gone. Simple and crude example I know but that extra shielding worked.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #10,142 of 12,335
Hi there,
First of all, Dutch chap here so (please) excuse the grammar.

Newbie here from The Netherlands, 40ish Sound-Engineer, since fall ’19 very enthousiastic about the combi BottleHead Crack & AKG K340 both introduced by Tom-s (he actually bought my two 2xCV4079 to 6080 adapters which unfortunately were not working in my SpeakerAmp (DIY). A few months later I ordered another from @Deyan :wink: to put in my freshly bought secondhand Crack.

So now powered with a lot of info and knowledge from Tom-s I’m cruising trough Tubie Wonderland to get my kicks and a lot of musical enjoyment!

This will be a review of some 6C5G tubes. Succesor of the 76 tube (27-37-56-76-6C5 etc).
Just for all of you who are interested in something else than 12AU7’s...
These tubes, supplied by Tom-s, will be put on pole position in a BottleHead Crack, normally filled with an ECC82 of some sort. Using an adapter (home-made) and Speedball.
Rest of the line-up:
-Source: Qobuz 16/44.1
-Streamer: M1CLIC Musical Fidelity (also used as pre-amp)
-Interconnect cable: SharkWire
-Headphone-amp: BottleHead Crack with 2x GEC CV4079 as output tube.
(Bottlehead upgrades: Speedball, Vishay 100uF MKP output caps, Choke, Cree Diodes, removed volumepot, removed RCA chassis and hardwired ‘interconnects’ from SharkWire, diy powerlead (from Linn K400).
-Headphone: AKG K340 (fed by Mogami StarQuad cable).

Yesterday I’ve rolled some 37-76 and 6J5G tubes, the musical favorite was Adzam 76.
So this tube will act as ‘reference’-tube.

Chosen music:
-Trondheimsolistene - Magnificat IV. Et misericordia
-Darondo - Didn’t I (Listen to my song: The Music City Session)
-Robert Miles - Loom (Miles Gurtu) ---with Trilok Gurtu---

Tubes:
-76: Adzam
-6C5G: Brimar, Sylvania, Fivre, RCA, KenRad

Starting of with Adzam’s 76 conclusion:
Very nice tube, neutral but with enough character to be exciting.
Warm sounding tube, full upperbass but a little recessed lowbass/sub, beautiful mids (very nice atmosphere and acoustics), somewhat recessed highs but very pleasing and with enough detail. Spacious presentation, pleasant unobtrusive sound.
Spoiler alert: this tube will actually fall into second place...

5. Brimar
Slightly narrow presentation, highmids-orientated therefore a little harsh sounding. ill low definition due to muddy lows. No common space/no interaction, seems disjointed. Pale, no layer definition.

4. Sylvania
Direct sounding tube. Cloudy due to strong midlows/lows. Feeling of a “digital cut-up” signal, due to little cohesion/transparency/dynamics. Absence of detailed highs, obscured. Restless image.

3. Fivre:
Beautiful acoustics, beautiful mids. A little harshness also caused by recessed lows, therefore little detail in bass/upper bass. Beautiful depth, good natural presentation.

2. RCA:
Medium direct, spatial presentation. Beautiful placement of instruments. A full sounding tube. Slightly withdrawn mid layer. Fine interplay, beautiful instrument separation. Slightly cloudy due to the abundance of bass/midbass. Musically tube.

1. Ken-Rad:
Unfortunately both tubes had a little humm (one more than the other).
Beautiful natural image, very good placement, clear acoustics. Beautiful bottom-end of voices and wooden instruments. Slightly unclear retracted basses. Great presentation. Musical! SPACE. Detailed upper bass, dry, involved tight sound. More details than all the others.

After this evenings runs I actually could live with any of them, they all outperform most 12AU7’s, and the top two ’ll even pale the best of them (and yess I’ve heard them).
The remarks are pointed out with very criticized “Engineers Ears”, and are sometimes a little over-exaggerated, but are used to explane the impressions of the tubes characters...

I'll find a way to add photo's later on...

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #10,143 of 12,335
Had some time during the day so I installed the cree diode upgrade. For the cost (about 15 total) and the ease of install (4 wires total) I would say this is an excellent upgrade. Improved low end is the most noticable change that i'm hearing right now.

I'm still waiting on a pair of 100uf kzk white line capacitors from russia (2 months shipping now, and still waiting) so I may end up being the first person to upgrade everything else BEFORE the output caps. After I do some more listening the next step is to upgrade two ps caps to 470uf, and the final ps cap to a panasonic ezp with some bypass caps. Sound is just getting better and better.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #10,144 of 12,335
KZK caps are good for the money. Running out of space for a choke.
1925CC64-42CA-417C-B6DF-4DF453B08C19.jpeg

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #10,145 of 12,335
Had some time during the day so I installed the cree diode upgrade. For the cost (about 15 total) and the ease of install (4 wires total) I would say this is an excellent upgrade. Improved low end is the most noticable change that i'm hearing right now.

I'm still waiting on a pair of 100uf kzk white line capacitors from russia (2 months shipping now, and still waiting) so I may end up being the first person to upgrade everything else BEFORE the output caps. After I do some more listening the next step is to upgrade two ps caps to 470uf, and the final ps cap to a panasonic ezp with some bypass caps. Sound is just getting better and better.

Lots of mods...:)

How do you install these caps, just add them in parallel to the original ones?

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #10,146 of 12,335
Lots of mods...:)

How do you install these caps, just add them in parallel to the original ones?

They're just direct replacements for the original caps. If I do a bypass that would be in parallel.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #10,147 of 12,335
This tube combo is legit! :o2smile:

Bendix 6080WB & Sylvania 6SN7W
20200710_060159.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #10,153 of 12,335
These Metallica tubes look gorgeous :)
They sound even better than they look. :wink: This tube combo is incredible, and has a huge sound stage, killer transparency, and punch you can feel. This is the kind of sound that makes the headphones disappear like you are there and everything sounds so big, natural and lifelike I can't stop listening. All this magic happens, while still being smooth and fatigue free. This is the best I have ever heard, both my BHC and ZMF Atticus sound. Freaking perfection! :o2smile:

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #10,154 of 12,335
How do I tell?

I think I may have gotten used one...?

Buying a tube tester would be too costly an option to just verify a few tubes. Send them to a friend with some tester if you can, or there is nothing really you can do.

Buy tubes next time from some reputable sellers...the most important thing - don't buy tubes without measurements.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #10,155 of 12,335
Sorry double post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back