Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 7, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #9,946 of 12,335
Which adapter do you recommend? I've been considering this myself.
I recommend 2 different ones. The first is from Garage1217, and the second is from forum member @Deyan.

Here is the link for the Garage 1217 - http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_012.htm

Contact @Deyan, by PM, and he is really great to work with. He can pretty much make what ever you want, and he has a great reputation on this forum.

The Garage 1217 is not as pretty, and I need to put a cover over that white part. @Deyan's look much better, by the way.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #9,947 of 12,335
I put a cover over the white Garage 1217 6SN7 adapter, and now it is looking good. I highly recommend giving the 6SN7 tube w/adapter a try, if you have the Speedball. The sound for me went to another level, and is blowing my mind! :o2smile: Every part of the sound got better, as in more realistic/lifelike sounding.

20200508_055638.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #9,948 of 12,335
I put a cover over the white Garage 1217 6SN7 adapter, and now it is looking good. I highly recommend giving the 6SN7 tube w/adapter a try, if you have the Speedball. The sound for me went to another level, and is blowing my mind! :o2smile: Every part of the sound got better, as in more realistic/lifelike sounding.

20200508_055638.jpg
Looking good!! Do you think the sound is better than your best 12au7 tubes?

May 8, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #9,949 of 12,335
Finished my crack build! All black. Completely stock right now, but with S Tier tubes from my previous bottlehead amps (Western Electric 421A and 1954 Amperex long welded plate D getter). My previous crack, which I did not build, was upgraded with speedball, blue alps, and mundorf caps. Unfortunately, its been long enough that I cant identify specific differences.

IMG_0894.jpg

May 8, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #9,950 of 12,335
Looking good!! Do you think the sound is better than your best 12au7 tubes?
Thanks! I like my top tier 6SN7 more than my top tier 12au7, but I would not necessarily say they are better. I could see people liking it either way depending on synergies and preferences. All I know, is 12au7's won't be going back in my BHC.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #9,951 of 12,335
Finished my crack build! All black. Completely stock right now, but with S Tier tubes from my previous bottlehead amps (Western Electric 421A and 1954 Amperex long welded plate D getter). My previous crack, which I did not build, was upgraded with speedball, blue alps, and mundorf caps. Unfortunately, its been long enough that I cant identify specific differences.

Nice tubes and Crack! Those are some top tier tubes, no doubt. It's nice to see another tube roller, that uses top tier tubes! They really take the amp to another level.

May 10, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #9,952 of 12,335
xQff8eL.gif

It's been harrowing and mad this Crack obsession! I keep thinking this will be the last upgrade,--one more, one more, one more--but now I think it really will be...because I plan to order the Crackatwoa soon. :sunglasses:

For my last mod, I decided to set up my last PS cap for bypass cap rolling. I set up the leads to allow alligator clips to easily attach. There is also adhesive Velcro on the caps to make sure each bypass stays put.

A special thanks to Doc and PB for informing me how to safely handle charged caps--they advised I make a bleed resistor tool (5W 10K ohm) to discharge the PS cap before handling.
1.JPG
2.JPG
I plan to buy just a couple more bypass caps to roll and experiment with (cheaper ones). But here is my grail piece: the Audyn True Copper Cap (As Audyn says, "No contamination by strange mixture of various metals and fairylike oils." haha). I've dreamt about it for sooooo long. It's about $40, and while that's sane compared to V-Caps or Jupiters, I still always try to be frugal. It's been torturous holding out, but finally this is the one comparatively lavish exception for me! For a while, I settled with the Audyn Tri-Reference, which is a high-quality piece already, but I'm happy to now close the book on my upgrade addiction. This thing is weighty and feels serious!
3 btlhd guts.JPG
4 btlhd guts 2.JPG
Audyn True Copper Impressions: It's too early to fully assess, but right from the get-go, the treble is noticeably more controlled and refined, and the focus of the imaging more precise. The scale of the presentation is bigger/wider. If you've read my thoughts on the Crack before, you know I value bite during crescendos to rile me up. Versus the Tri-Reference, the True Copper takes a tiny bit of the bite away from tracks that used to give me serious goosebumps, but the clarity and refinement are eye-openingly improved. So, I'm in a place where I thought I would never give up ANY PART of the bite, but am now really being seduced by what's on offer. I am honestly disappointed that the True Copper didn't retain the bite AND introduce the refinements... but I'm becoming more aware that the bite seems like it's a result of the treble flying off the handle a bit; not being fully controlled. It's kind of like a minecart lifting a bit off the track during a high-speed turn...not fully controlled but makes the experience exhilarating. Whereas the True Copper stays locked on the tracks. It's nice to know I can easily swap the caps now depending on my mood or curiosity. As I get more bypasses and do more listening tests, I'll post my impressions. Cheers and stay safe everyone. :)
5 ah complete.JPG

May 11, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #9,953 of 12,335

IMG_0894.jpg
I like it! Looks like mine...except for the plate.

BTW, I finally got my 'Soviet Winged C' power tubes and they sound great. The RCA had that issue which got replaced by a cheap SINO tube from China. That tube made the amp silent and I was happy with the sound...but the NOS Winged C tubes sound waaaay better.

Now for getting an adapter to try the 6SN7 tubes where the 12au7 is...

May 11, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #9,954 of 12,335
Speedball ordered. The upgrade bug has set in, so I’ll probably do speedball, then the potentiometer, then caps.

May 12, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #9,955 of 12,335
I just can't get enough of this tube combo, and I am really digging the look too!

Bendix 6080WB and Tung Sol 6SN7GT BGRP all lit up, and sounding insanely good with my ZMF Atticus.

20200512_101902.jpg

May 12, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #9,956 of 12,335
I bet those tubes pair together so well! Its always good to hear tube combos; you can make a great tube average with a bad one, or make a good tube great with a good pairing! I have a victor/rca 1940's 12au7 that is very clear and pairs very well with warm power tubes.

May 12, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #9,958 of 12,335
I bet those tubes pair together so well! Its always good to hear tube combos; you can make a great tube average with a bad one, or make a good tube great with a good pairing! I have a victor/rca 1940's 12au7 that is very clear and pairs very well with warm power tubes.
Totally agree, and I have had my BHC for over a year now, and I am still having a blast tube rolling and finding those magical combos.

May 12, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #9,959 of 12,335
Let’s talk about capacitor rolling? Who has replaced the stock 100uf or others? Anyone running just a bypass or a new film cap with a bypass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back