Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 9, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #9,691 of 12,335
Aug 9, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #9,692 of 12,335
Crack on sale: https://bottlehead.com/product/crack-1-1-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

For those that haven't dabbled, the Crack is (in my opinion) the best introduction to headphone tube amplifiers, skip the hybrids. Be warned, unless you have amazing self-restraint, be prepared to spend at least 2x of what you spend on the amp on tubes!
This is true! This amp is the best value around, and smokes everything under $1000.00, with ease.

I have a Bendix 6080wb Slotted Plate and Amperex 7316 tube combo, that is insanely good. I am there with the musicians, as in sounds like real life. Really could be endgame for many, including myself.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #9,694 of 12,335
I have question I’ve searched for the answer to but haven’t had any success.

I have LCD-3 headphones that are low impedance. I use them with the Audeze Deckard and JDS Labs “EL DAC”.

Question - has anyone used the Bottlehead Crack hooked to a solid state amp like the Deckard? This would make the Bottlehead Crack a preamp to the Deckard. The way I would attach them is using a 3.5 mm to RCA cord, from the Bottlehead Crack headphone jack to the Deckard RCA input.

I’m wondering if this will add the “tube” sound to the Deckard?

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #9,696 of 12,335
To add to that, I saw this yesterday. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Vintage-...c-vacuum-tube-Ham-Radio-Amp-tube/333254276633
Ridiculous price. No test results posted though or returns accepted. Price seems low enough to take a chance though!

Oh BTW, Hi everyone! First time poster in this thread. Just wanted to introduce myself. I've interacted with a few of you one way or another through head-fi PMs, Reddit, or Bottlehead forums. I will definitely be posting some pics of my build and various tubes once I get the wooden base re-sanded/refinished. Currently looks like crap :\ but it sounds great!

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #9,697 of 12,335
To add to that, I saw this yesterday. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Vintage-...c-vacuum-tube-Ham-Radio-Amp-tube/333254276633
Ridiculous price. No test results posted though or returns accepted. Price seems low enough to take a chance though!

Oh BTW, Hi everyone! First time poster in this thread. Just wanted to introduce myself. I've interacted with a few of you one way or another through head-fi PMs, Reddit, or Bottlehead forums. I will definitely be posting some pics of my build and various tubes once I get the wooden base re-sanded/refinished. Currently looks like crap :\ but it sounds great!

Welcome, @jamwagon ! Looking forward to it.

Yes, always risky to buy an untested tube, but hey, a $45 5998 is a steal if it worked out. Weird print on that tube though, never seen that font on a 5998.

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #9,702 of 12,335

I have LCD-3 headphones that are low impedance. I use them with the Audeze Deckard and JDS Labs “EL DAC”.

Question - has anyone used the Bottlehead Crack hooked to a solid state amp like the Deckard? This would make the Bottlehead Crack a preamp to the Deckard. The way I would attach them is using a 3.5 mm to RCA cord, from the Bottlehead Crack headphone jack to the Deckard RCA input.

This will put tubes in the signal path, but it won't add the "tube" sound IMO. Part of the tube sound comes from the way tube amps interact (or don't interact) with the load your headphones present vs. a solid state amp.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #9,703 of 12,335

Crack is for dynamic drivers of 300+ ohms. The reason why people like it is how the tube amp reacts to the dynamic drivers. Solid states maybe more stable with whatever type of drivers, but you won't get sound like crack.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #9,704 of 12,335
I love rolling tubes on the crack, output mainly. If I want something mellow with classic tube sound the GEC 6080 fits the bill, melodious and liquid Sylvania GB6080, allrounder Bendix 6080 solid plates, crisp clean and punchy Bendix 6080 slotted. If I want an event and amazement the GEC 6AS7G is just the ticket. It's mood dependant really. 5998 just doesn't get any use.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #9,705 of 12,335
DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0044.JPG
Welcome, @jamwagon ! Looking forward to it.

Yes, always risky to buy an untested tube, but hey, a $45 5998 is a steal if it worked out. Weird print on that tube though, never seen that font on a 5998.
You'd better test it asap.

I have a lot of DOA 5998.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back