Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #9,482 of 12,335
Anything with an impedance of 250 ohms or higher.....

The stock tubes will work just fine..

Alex
I am aware of the impedance, but I was looking for more specific recommendations on interesting tube and headphone choices.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #9,483 of 12,335
Take a look at the bottlehead forum at bottlehead.com
They have a very good thread on this and many stories, experiences and selections....

Headphones, I use Beyer T90, T1's and HD600's,,,,all work very well my favorite right now is the HD600's.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #9,484 of 12,335
I have two Cracks. One highly modified including Speedball and one with NO modifications - NO Speedball. I have used a 6F8G and a 6C8G as a power tube on the Crack with no modifications (IT WILL NOT WORK ON A CRACK WITH SPEEDBALL). I believe it provides a much smoother tube-like sound even competing well with the Speedball Crack. Add an 8 to 9 pin converter and it can also be used as a driver tube. The best of the lot is the Tung-Sol 6F8G.

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #9,485 of 12,335
It’s been a while so broke out the Sextetts and fired up the Crack ( non Speedball) and not bad at all. Using a Tung Sol 6080 Chatham with a stock input tube this one is a Baldwin piano tube all the power the 240’s need.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #9,486 of 12,335
I am currently listening to the modified crack using a GE 6080 with a chrome metal base (the only one I have ever seen). I am using an 8SN7GTB Sylvania (less current than 6sn7) with an eight to nine pin adapter. It calms the 6080 and produces wide sound stage. I am using Sennheiser HD800S for listening. I like the sound of the 8SN7 and it is cheaper than the 6SN7. As people find out about this sleeper, the tube will, like others, go up in price.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #9,489 of 12,335
Im considering the Crack (and potentially Speedball) for my HD650. I mainly listen to some old school hiphops. Is the crack good for bass reproduction and extension?
Yes, but you should also remember that tubes used do make a difference in how it sounds so I'd budget for some alternative tubes to try.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #9,490 of 12,335
Im considering the Crack (and potentially Speedball) for my HD650. I mainly listen to some old school hiphops. Is the crack good for bass reproduction and extension?
I really like the Tung-Sol 7236 as my power tube for quality bass extension [Hip-Hop, EDM. etc.] Other tube is a Sylvania 7N7 w. adapter. Love this combo with my 6XX!!! The Winged-C was good as well, but couldn't match the punchy low end of the 7236.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #9,491 of 12,335
I really like using a Tung-Sol 7236 as the driver to get excellent bass. Other tube is a Sylvania 7N7 w. adapter. Love this combo with my 6XX!!! The Winged-C was good as well, but couldn't match the quality low end of the 7236.
7236 is a power tube. There are special 7n7 tube available (Frankies).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #9,492 of 12,335
7236 is a power tube. There are special 7n7 tube available (Frankies).
Yes, I use 7236 as power tube and use a 7N7 to 12AU7 adapter for the other tube!

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #9,493 of 12,335
I've spent a bit more time with the BH crack+SB and found that it is a really good match with the HD6XX and HD58X. Using the A&K SPKM as a source, I'm starting to understand why are there so many recommendations of the BH Crack + HD6XX combination on the forums. The highs are effortless while non fatiguing, the mids are smooth and holographic and the lows are satisfyingly full as well. With the 58X, highs come off a little more exciting and the lows hit slightly harder, however it does lose some of those romantic mids the 6XX are capable of.

I'm now starting to think of what other tube combinations to roll to improve sound, but as it stands, the stock BH crack+SB+HD6XX/58X is pretty much hard to beat.

Besides the 6XX and 58X, I have also tried the ZMF Auteurs with the BH crack+SB. I do get plenty of volume out of the BH crack with the Auteurs but somehow i feel that the mids are too forward and the lows are not satisfying enough. Its like some of the ZMF Auteur magic is gone with this combination. To me, the Auteur sounds best out of the Glenn's EL3N amp!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #9,494 of 12,335
I've spent a bit more time with the BH crack+SB and found that it is a really good match with the HD6XX and HD58X. Using the A&K SPKM as a source, I'm starting to understand why are there so many recommendations of the BH Crack + HD6XX combination on the forums. The highs are effortless while non fatiguing, the mids are smooth and holographic and the lows are satisfyingly full as well. With the 58X, highs come off a little more exciting and the lows hit slightly harder, however it does lose some of those romantic mids the 6XX are capable of.

I'm now starting to think of what other tube combinations to roll to improve sound, but as it stands, the stock BH crack+SB+HD6XX/58X is pretty much hard to beat.

Besides the 6XX and 58X, I have also tried the ZMF Auteurs with the BH crack+SB. I do get plenty of volume out of the BH crack with the Auteurs but somehow i feel that the mids are too forward and the lows are not satisfying enough. Its like some of the ZMF Auteur magic is gone with this combination. To me, the Auteur sounds best out of the Glenn's EL3N amp!
I thought the 58X would not be a good match seeing as it's only 150 ohms? My understanding is it's preferred to use phones with 250+. I was considering getting a 58X but would like to ideally get something that plays nice with the Crack. Thoughts? I'd like to check out some more pairings with this amp, but my current line-up doesn't look to have any high impedance options. Suggestions? Was looking at DT 1990's but that might be out of my range atm. Maybe 770s? Any folks use these with the Crack?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #9,495 of 12,335
I thought the 58X would not be a good match seeing as it's only 150 ohms? My understanding is it's preferred to use phones with 250+. I was considering getting a 58X but would like to ideally get something that plays nice with the Crack. Thoughts? I'd like to check out some more pairings with this amp, but my current line-up doesn't look to have any high impedance options. Suggestions? Was looking at DT 1990's but that might be out of my range atm. Maybe 770s? Any folks use these with the Crack?

I think the 58X pairs very nicely with the BH crack, however I prefer the tone of the 6XX with the crack more.

Actually the 58X pairs really nicely with the ifi nano BL as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back