Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #9,466 of 12,335
I envy you to have that big box of CRACK!

I like the extra room for installing upgrades and the three pounds of copper plate and one inch thick quartered oak give me really good stability, less chance of microphonics.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #9,467 of 12,335
For those of you who got on the cracktober sale, you're in for a treat! I went for it last year, and it has been one of the most fun experiences to make. Not to mention that it sounds amazing. I have mine paired with the well-known HD 650 with a Topping D30.

I got the speedball upgrade, but after all this time I haven't installed it. Do you guys think it's really worth adding? What other additions would you consider to be must-haves for your Crack?

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #9,468 of 12,335
For those of you who got on the cracktober sale, you're in for a treat! I went for it last year, and it has been one of the most fun experiences to make. Not to mention that it sounds amazing. I have mine paired with the well-known HD 650 with a Topping D30.

I got the speedball upgrade, but after all this time I haven't installed it. Do you guys think it's really worth adding? What other additions would you consider to be must-haves for your Crack?
Tom, I have a problem!

IMG_20181019_182209.jpg

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #9,469 of 12,335
There are some beautiful Cracks in here. I have two myself. One with Speedball, the other without. I attempted to apply a finish to the wood, but since I'm a n00b at coating wood, I choose not to attempt it on the Mainline. The Cracks are simple and fun builds, and the cost (especially during the sales) is well beyond respectable for the performance.
I find the perfect marriage is when they are used with the Sennheiser HD650. I have listened to AKG K702/Q701, DT770 (250ohm), DT880 (250ohm), and several other headphones, but I usually end up going back to the HD650s.

7K8VjFW.jpg

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #9,470 of 12,335
There are some beautiful Cracks in here. I have two myself. One with Speedball, the other without. I attempted to apply a finish to the wood, but since I'm a n00b at coating wood, I choose not to attempt it on the Mainline. The Cracks are simple and fun builds, and the cost (especially during the sales) is well beyond respectable for the performance.
I find the perfect marriage is when they are used with the Sennheiser HD650. I have listened to AKG K702/Q701, DT770 (250ohm), DT880 (250ohm), and several other headphones, but I usually end up going back to the HD650s.

7K8VjFW.jpg
I notice your crack goes up to 11!

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #9,471 of 12,335
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #9,472 of 12,335
All crack lovers, I am wondering if we can use this kind of metal steel cover to shield the Crack transformer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Stee...ull-up-cover-for-tube-amplifier-/142174801727

The crack transformer is naked.............and it is too close to the power tube which may cause some problems at some times. (Yes, I know its "special" design).

I think it would work if you're having a problem. I'm separating my PSU from the audio portions due to some upgrades and space issues.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #9,474 of 12,335

I only added the Speedball to my build (so far :p ). However, having listened to it before and after the speedball upgrade, I would definitely recommend upgrading your crack. It definitely adds to the sound. Also, I loved assembling the crack and by adding the Speedball, I had further tasks to complete.

Cheers

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #9,475 of 12,335
Also, just wondering: I am looking to roll some tubes with my Bottlehead Crack. Is there any discussion on head-fi with recommendations to begin with? I am currently rocking the russian combination but would love to switch it up.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #9,476 of 12,335
Also, just wondering: I am looking to roll some tubes with my Bottlehead Crack. Is there any discussion on head-fi with recommendations to begin with? I am currently rocking the russian combination but would love to switch it up.

Thanks

Have a read through this link, while the pics no longer show they are easy googled for an image. Its probably the most comprehensive review you will find on rolling tubes in the Crack.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #9,478 of 12,335

Thanks
More active discussion here. Crack can take a lot of tubes. A lot of. The best power tubes for the crack is a couple of 6bl7/6bx7.

https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=663.0

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #9,480 of 12,335
two questions regarding the crack. First what headphones do you recommend that are not similar to the hd 6xx and that work well with the crack? I was currently looking at AKG K240 Sextett. Also I am trying to get into tube rolling on the crack as well, should I go for a tung sol 7236 or Winged C or something entirely different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back