Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #8,012 of 12,335
From their site:

Inputs​
1 Digital Input (S/PDIF), Single Ended (RCA)
Outputs​
1 Stereo Pair, Single Ended (RCA)

Pair of RCA to RCA from the outputs to the Crack RCA inputs.
Output of S/PIDF to DAC Input.

Looks like this is not a USB dac...so your computer has to have a S/PIDF output or a audio card that does.
from a review:"
plus the Si2 DAC doesn't have the right inputs for a computer-based system (meaning like USB)"

Alex

DIGITAL INPUT : S/PDIF digital input terminal. Digital output signals from CD players and transports can be used.
 After the DAC unit is settled into its position, connect digital output (S/PDIF) of CD player/transport to the INPUT terminal. After connecting such input device, connect “OUTPUT” left and right terminals to devices such as preampliers.

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29114-Velocity-Digital/dp/B0002J2B7E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483049544&sr=8-2&keywords=spdif+cable

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #8,013 of 12,335
Thanks a lot for your help Adydula. It seems like this one would work https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483052667&sr=8-2&keywords=S%2Fpdif+to+usb but I'm not really sure.

I guess I'll have to use a pair of RCA to RCA as you mentioned to connect the Amp to the DAC, then will hook up a S/PDIF coax cable to the converter and finally use a USB cable to connect the converter to my computer.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #8,014 of 12,335
You may just get simple USB dac....versus all these "compromises", cables, convertors and connections....??

You can get a good dac for $100.....

Food for thought

Alex

Note: The device u linked to has a dac in it according to its description and you already have one? Dont think this is what your wanting to do...if u really want to use this dac you have then this is not the box IMO.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #8,015 of 12,335

Finally stopped my tubes rolling.....off of my unit.

Had them all loose before, with a few close calls of knocking one and dominos to the others, least they're all secure now.

If anyone is interested, 19mm for 6080 and 12.5mm holes for 12au7 tubes.

(Had a novel idea to wire them all up with switch boxes, save having to roll them :smiley:)

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #8,016 of 12,335

Had them all loose before, with a few close calls of knocking one and dominos to the others, least they're all secure now.

(Had a novel idea to wire them all up with switch boxes, save having to roll them :smiley:)

That's a great room display and holder for your tube collection. Really cool.

Hd650 with the BH Crack is such a great combo! Are those HD800 as well?

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #8,017 of 12,335
I got the 650 and 800S on the same day, as couldn't decide in the shop, 800S sounded so clear, though the 650 sounded fun.

Thing is, in the three months or so I've had them, 800S have had ~99% of the air time, amazing detail that just keeps drawing me back to them (of all my headphones)

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #8,018 of 12,335

Nice idea, but whats with the blue tape on your Crack enclosure not glued yet?

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #8,019 of 12,335
  You may just get simple USB dac....versus all these "compromises", cables, convertors and connections....??

You can get a good dac for $100.....

Food for thought

Alex

Note: The device u linked to has a dac in it according to its description and you already have one? Dont think this is what your wanting to do...if u really want to use this dac you have then this is not the box IMO.

He quotes he already has a 1000$+ DAC, so why not use it? I do get your point on the extra connections and all.

The product he linked has a DAC in it but can also be used as a simpel USB -> Coax, digital -> digital converter. For that price it's worth the try.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #8,020 of 12,335
He quotes he already has a 1000$+ DAC, so why not use it? I do get your point on the extra connections and all.

The product he linked has a DAC in it but can also be used as a simpel USB -> Coax, digital -> digital converter. For that price it's worth the try.

Honestly, I won this DAC from a prize draw at RMAF. It is listed over $1000 and I'm very curious to see how big of an improvement expensive DAC makes. It has been sitting in a basement for a while and now is a good time to actual use it. Thanks all for your help. I'm getting a converter anyway to see if it works.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #8,021 of 12,335
My guess is that whatever gains one gets from a high end DAC will be lost with a cheap converter. Mutec makes some high end converters, but you would be better off just buying a new DAC rather then getting the muted.

I recommend just selling the DAC for no less than $265 and then just get a Mimby. If you think you can get more for it, like $500, get a used Bimby, or pocket ehe money and get a Bimby.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #8,024 of 12,335
Honestly, I won this DAC from a prize draw at RMAF. It is listed over $1000 and I'm very curious to see how big of an improvement expensive DAC makes. It has been sitting in a basement for a while and now is a good time to actual use it. Thanks all for your help. I'm getting a converter anyway to see if it works.

A decent sound card with pci-e could be a nice digital coaxial source if you find the right model. Assuming you have expansion ports available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back