Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 9, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #7,741 of 12,335
Would try wood conditioner next time to smooth out the staining, and tape the edges where the glue could overflow and touch since that affects stain absorption. 

The trick with the glue is to have a damp rag ready to wipe off anything that squeezes out of the seam. Also, water based aniline dye from woodworking specialty stores works a lot better than most of the big box store stains.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #7,742 of 12,335

The trick with the glue is to have a damp rag ready to wipe off anything that squeezes out of the seam. Also, water based aniline dye from woodworking specialty stores works a lot better than most of the big box store stains.

Learned this from my dad many years ago when I was helping him to build custom furniture, usually made out of koa wood

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7,744 of 12,335
I just finished my BH Crack a week ago. I didn't have any problems with building it, even if it was my first DIY project (except a non-working 6080 tube that I replaced). The guys at BH really helped me sort out the problem (thanks Doc). It sounds really good with my HD 650 and my 600 Ohms Revox RH 310 (reviewed here). And I just can wait to start rolling tubes, and maybe some day go for the Speedball !

Here are some pictures.

The base looks pretty clean and nice. How did you treat the wood? What paint or stain did you use? Thanks a lot

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #7,745 of 12,335

Speedball'ed Crack (with Alps RK pot & Erse X-Pulse output cap upgrades) just arrived.  Lovingly built by Jeremy (j23my).

Running Tung-Sol 5998, a NOS Tungsram 12AU7 & using a Bottlehead power cord.  Only been listening for a short period of time.. I love it so far.. terrific match with the Fischer Audio FA-002w "High Edition" (pictured) & the HD800.  Feeding it with an ODAC.  Smooth, dynamic, 
clean, airy, very transparent, with just a touch of liquidity.  Impressive.

I like the look on this base as well. Can you guys shed some light on what kind of paint/stain it takes? I really don't know too much about wood work.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #7,746 of 12,335
I like the look on this base as well. Can you guys shed some light on what kind of paint/stain it takes? I really don't know too much about wood work.

One of the nicest and simplest and quickest ways of finishing a base and my personal favorite is to sand to 250 grade followed by a couple of applications of Tung oil. This is just wiped on with a cotton rag then left to dry in between coats, once dry its give a light rub over with some fine gauge wire wool followed by some ordinary wood wax and then a quick buff .

This is how it ends up just letting the wood to the talking

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #7,747 of 12,335
One of the nicest and simplest and quickest ways of finishing a base and my personal favorite is to sand to 250 grade followed by a couple of applications of Tung oil. This is just wiped on with a cotton rag then left to dry in between coats, once dry its give a light rub over with some fine gauge wire wool followed by some ordinary wood wax and then a quick buff .

This is how it ends up just letting the wood to the talking

Great, thank you so much for the detailed steps, Jamie!

I do not have wood wax, but I do have some fine car wax. Will the car wax do the same trick?

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #7,748 of 12,335
I have built half a dozen that way on Jamies advice and they all looked fantastic with a silky smooth finish. Also far easier to apply than a clear coat.

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #7,750 of 12,335
If its a natural carnauba based wax it should work just fine. A coat of Collinite lasts about six months on my car so it should last a few years on a crack
normal_smile .gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #7,751 of 12,335
Thanks very much, Jamie and Mcandmar.

My AutoGlym High Definition car wax is a blend of polymers, Carnauba and microcrystalline waxes, combined with selected solid saturated hydrocarbons and oils. It works great on my car, hopefully it will work great on wood as well.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #7,752 of 12,335
I just ordered a used crack with a slight hum on one channel without music playing. Will reflow everything to see if that takes care of it. The guy who built it had never soldered before. So it could be easy to fix. If not, my pops is a retired tech and he will troubleshoot it for me.

Looking to get a 6sn7 adapter since I have some 50s or 60s RCA, GE and Sylvania tubes that tested well. also have a couple 12au7 RCA black plate tubes. Some labeled Conn, rca clear tops, and a few more with similar plates. Most of the labels got worn off by a friend that didn't realize they were like dust. Oh well. Should be fun tube rolling for awhile after I get it working. Especially when I get a Better output tube.

http://m.imgur.com/a/oYWQN

And these 70s? Rca NOS
http://m.imgur.com/a/A2fms 6sn7

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #7,753 of 12,335
is there any alternative site?

Block details

1. Your IP: xxx.xx.xx.xxx
  2. URL: http://bottlehead.com/
  3. Your Browser: -
  4. Block ID: GEO02
  5. Block reason: Access from your Country was disabled by the site administrator.
  6. Time: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 20:58:24 -0400
  7. Server ID: cp11004

Users who are viewing this thread

Back