Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 26, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #7,712 of 12,335
  Hey everyone so I upgraded my pot to a Valab 23 step attenuator and the knob no longer sits flush with the top plate. Anyone know where to buy another one that fits better or have any specific recommendations?

If you adjust the fixing nuts on the Valabs shaft you can get it to sit flush, I had no problem with mine.

May 26, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #7,713 of 12,335
If you only have one nut just add a few washers on the bottom side to fill the gap.  In some cases where the shaft is still too long (Alps Blue) you just have to shorten it.

May 28, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #7,714 of 12,335
Thanks you two, that makes infinitely more sense than what I thought I had to do aha. One more dumb question, I'm trying to find a right angle power cord, can I just buy this one from Monoprice or is there anything I need to look into before I get it. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7681

May 28, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #7,715 of 12,335
  Thanks you two, that makes infinitely more sense than what I thought I had to do aha. One more dumb question, I'm trying to find a right angle power cord, can I just buy this one from Monoprice or is there anything I need to look into before I get it. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7681

I believe I have the same one...been using it for 2+ years with no problems.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #7,716 of 12,335
Anyone considered using chinese motor run oil caps? 3 of these 50uf would make a good last PS cap. Ok, they are bigger but in my case it would fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBB65-450VAC-50uF-5-Refrigerator-Non-Polar-Motor-Run-Capacitor-/231132290872?hash=item35d08edf38:g:VSAAAOSwDNdVlVOZ

Any concerns? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade of the standard PS caps?

May 30, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #7,718 of 12,335
  Anyone considered using chinese motor run oil caps? 3 of these 50uf would make a good last PS cap. Ok, they are bigger but in my case it would fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBB65-450VAC-50uF-5-Refrigerator-Non-Polar-Motor-Run-Capacitor-/231132290872?hash=item35d08edf38:g:VSAAAOSwDNdVlVOZ

Any concerns? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade of the standard PS caps?

Motor runs for the last cap and the signal caps worked out well for me when I tried some 89uf Epcos motor runs in my Crack.

Have a good look round there are some interesting options about, something like in the link below might be easier to fit. Also have a look on Aliexpress you can often find film caps at really great prices for odd values but it takes a bit of searching around that's where I found the ones I used in the pic, just checked and they were 5 for $28.30 delivered!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-50uF-850V-Vishay-MKP1848-DC-Link-Filtering-Polypropylene-Film-Capacitors-/351683467304?hash=item51e1f7d828:g:1oIAAOSwa81XRoBr

May 31, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #7,721 of 12,335
Thanks for the reply Jamie. Had a look around for those EPCOS but couldn't find any.
Decided on 2x 730uf RIFA's for the other PS caps. A pair of those EPCOS would be perfect for the last PS cap.

May 31, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #7,722 of 12,335
Please help -_-

I just tried installing Cree Schottky diodes today but when I power up my amp, nothing happens now. No sound, tubes don't even glow, and no heat coming from the amp at all.

I removed all the stock diodes, and the two wires (from 18 & 19) leading the diodes to the power supply. I then followed others' pictures to guide me. If anyone has done this mod, could you please look over my work and maybe see if I'm missing something? Thank you so much.

I checked my solder joints, tried different tubes, checked the fuse, tried a different power cord, plugged into a different socket, shook the top plate to see if any wire ends or solder were loose anywhere...

Here's where I bought the parts: 
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=CSD01060A&v=90
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product26996.html

May 31, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #7,723 of 12,335
FIXED IT!! B6 happened to become unsoldered! Reheated to let the solder flow, then powered up the amp ...that glow was so relieving! Thanks to anyone who may have been taking the time to write something to help me.

Now, take for granted how elated I am to even have sound (lol), but the Cree Diodes definitely make a difference in effortlessness -- more spacious sound, separation more clear, depth increased noticeably! After a little while, I'll install my c7x choke. I'll post more pictures when done!

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #7,724 of 12,335
Cree Shottky diodes definitely give the sound more depth and separation. The C-7X choke furthers even more depth. For example, my 6080 tubes no longer sound so constricted compared to my 6AS7G. Tomorrow I should be getting my Audyn Q4 68uF film caps! I only use 600ohm AKGs so 68uF should be fine. Will post impressions tomorrow, right now the bass in Ray Charles voice when he says "OhHHHHHhHH" at the beginning of 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye' is very resolute, very gutsy -- effortless and unmechanical sounding. :) Happy listening!

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #7,725 of 12,335
Finished some upgrades today!

Prolonged listening last night made me realize the C-7X choke gives an improvement in detail, and the sound has a brighter signature compared to the stock resistor it replaced. Seems similar to the changes a Tung-Sol 5998 makes compared to the sound of the Sylvania GB6080 and RCA 6AS7G. Also, before, when the volume pot was maxed -- without music -- there was some hum and scratchiness, and now, with the C-7X, it's gone. No music and maxed volume makes me imagine I'm wearing a lab coat in a clean room. I'm happy with this new horizon of clear and clinical sound, but I kept thinking and hoping for nightfall and tomorrow, as I imagined my Audyn film caps being loaded into the local USPS truck. I've been using Mallory 100uF electrolytics, though I couldn't tell a difference from the stock caps.

And here we have another new day! I got my Audyn (Q4 68uF 400V) caps! :)

OUTPUT CAPS: I've read from others saying they might have noticed a difference with their new film output caps but, for me, these caps made an obvious difference in tone, smoothness, and body. I can turn up the volume higher and it doesn't get as harsh and mechanical sounding as before. Highs are still far-reaching and clear but now have a purity and roundness in their demeanor. Sounds very high class. Notes come and go with poise.

LAST PS CAP: The third Audyn cap in the last PS cap position reinforces the output positions' smoothness, purity, and poise. I'm very, very happy. This is less obvious, but it seems there's more weight to the sound.

MORE NOTES WHILE LISTENING:
- Tube rolling, for me, is no longer as important as before. I can live with any of my tubes really, but my favorite 6SN7s of course make it that much better.
- I keep thinking about how poised the notes present themselves as they fall into place one after another. It's like they discussed the game plan of each song and movie soundtrack and have practiced their execution unendingly. I keep signaling each note's landing by waving my hand in the air and swooning like a conductor.
- During research, before hitting the "submit order" button, I really hoped there wouldn't be any downgrade with 68uF caps in place of 100uF ones. And there is none. The fact that it's a film cap is the important factor here -- as is my using 600ohm AKGs. In fact, bass is more forceful with the 68uF Audyn's, and reaches deeper. Also, bass lines are noticeably more distinct as are the other instruments and voices. So I can focus on one instrument or vocal but I'm not forced to -- meaning the sound is still coherent and musical, it's not matter-of-fact and strident like Christopher Hitchens at his best. It's classy and honest, always seeming to beautifully deliver the right answer ...like Christopher Hitchens at his best.
- I remember reading someone else's impression that film caps take away hash and glare (or schreechiness) from the treble, and I would agree; that's another way to explain what I said was smoothness and purity in the sound.
- Overall, I'm very happy! Here are some pictures! Cheers and happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back