Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7,503 of 12,335
Most fun I had was building my Crack. No wait that would be listening to it and thinking I made that.

Sweet man! Yours seemed to arrive sooner than mine did. Good luck on the build sir.

Aaaaaaand I melted the switch. Schiit.
Does anyone know if I could use a similar switch? In the instructions it offers a free replacement if you melt the switch, but I'm impatient, and shipping takes a while.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #7,504 of 12,335
You melted the power switch? If the metal contact parts inside are intact it could still be used. It really depends on how bad you melted it. I've melted some of the wires but it does nothing sonically.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #7,506 of 12,335
Just some advice don't rush your crack build. Do everything correctly and according to the manual, because fixing mistakes can be a hard puzzle.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #7,508 of 12,335
You melted the power switch? If the metal contact parts inside are intact it could still be used. It really depends on how bad you melted it. I've melted some of the wires but it does nothing sonically.

The metal pieces don't fit back into the switch, and the switch became mushy. My multimeter found the switch no longer reliably switching... :/ I only had the iron on it for a second.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #7,509 of 12,335
Yeah get a new switch. You can still continue your build. You can temporary operate the crack without one, just have it always on and unplug the power cord to turn it off.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #7,510 of 12,335
Yeah get a new switch. You can still continue your build. You can temporary operate the crack without one, just have it always on and unplug the power cord to turn it off.

Too late I already finished :D. Resistance check passed too. I took my time and was really careful. 8 hours? Jeez
I think I'm just going to solder the switch wires together and plug/unplug like you said until I can get a replacement switch. Going to do voltage check tomorrow.
Question: How much force is normal for plugging in the tubes? I'm worried I'm going to crush them trying.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #7,511 of 12,335
Don't worry about inserting tubes, they wont break in your hands. Just make sure you have the pins lined up correctly and it will take a firm push.

As for replacement switch parts - parts express, digi key, etc will carry similar switches.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #7,512 of 12,335
Bottlehead have some tutorial videos on their forum

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?board=55.0

Including

How to solder the power switch without melting it !
wink_face.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #7,513 of 12,335
Bottlehead have some tutorial videos on their forum

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?board=55.0

Including

How to solder the power switch without melting it ! :wink_face:  

Don't worry about inserting tubes, they wont break in your hands. Just make sure you have the pins lined up correctly and it will take a firm push.

As for replacement switch parts - parts express, digi key, etc will carry similar switches.

Voltage check passed, plugged it in, it works! The first thing I notice is that vocals are IMMENSELY clear over the magni 2U. WOW. Actually, just about everything is tighter and clearer.
I look forward to installing the speedball later on and seeing how the sound changes.
Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

Edit
The instructions mention this:
"REVISION 5/6/10: Making this wire 3” long and connecting it to Terminal 14U instead of terminal 22L may yield more quiet operation" when connecting power transformer terminal 4 to terminal 22L. Has anyone actually tried both configurations and/or recommend one or the other?

Every couple minutes or so it will make a small noise in the right channel. It is like 2-4 different tones for a second or less one after another. It sounds around 2000-5000hz. Some static will accompany it. It's very quiet, and seems to get better when it's in use for longer, but it's still a little worrying if i'm going to put the speedball into it.
I noticed that the voltage checks were within range, but always on the lower end of the range. Is that anything unusual?
Edit: I think it's related to interference from my phone, wifi, computer, etc. Putting my phone right next to it makes the noise. I'm going to try and and cover the crack with foil and see if it goes away.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #7,514 of 12,335
It's just a different path to the ground shouldn't matter that much.

Wait till you get the speedball in. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back