Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #7,441 of 12,335
  It will definitely be with the hd650. I was specifically looking for a inexpensive but good match for them. The few bottleheads I listened to sounded pretty good with them.

I remember the first time I bought the Crack. Still use it today. Now it's all suped up and sounding incredible with the HD650's. You'll love it chuckwheat!

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #7,445 of 12,335
So it has been a few days since I ordered. I know it says 3-6 weeks, but does it really take that long to ship?

Yes. The same thing happened to me when I ordered mine. From my understanding they do not have all the parts available to ship so they need to order them. I think it took at least a month before I got mine but it was well worth the wait :)

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #7,446 of 12,335
Yes. The same thing happened to me when I ordered mine. From my understanding they do not have all the parts available to ship so they need to order them. I think it took at least a month before I got mine but it was well worth the wait :)
Wow. I wish I knew about that before I ordered. I would think they would have at least some stock...

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #7,449 of 12,335
Guys, my Bottlehead has been sitting in the closet for over a year now. It worked okay for the first year I had it, without speedball, although I did have some issues with microphonics. Last year I decided to install the speedball upgrade though and I messed something up during the installation that I was never able to troubleshoot on my own. My voltage readings at the end of the installation were very wrong on one of the channels, and I never actually powered it on afterwards. 

Is this a good place to ask for technical help? Should I go to Bottlehead directly? 

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #7,451 of 12,335
  Guys, my Bottlehead has been sitting in the closet for over a year now. It worked okay for the first year I had it, without speedball, although I did have some issues with microphonics. Last year I decided to install the speedball upgrade though and I messed something up during the installation that I was never able to troubleshoot on my own. My voltage readings at the end of the installation were very wrong on one of the channels, and I never actually powered it on afterwards. 

Is this a good place to ask for technical help? Should I go to Bottlehead directly? 

Using the Bottlehead forum for trouble shooting it will be much quicker and by creating a new post in the Crack section you will be able to reference all reply's in order in one place with out having to trawl backwards and forwards through posts here.

If you post your voltage readings and if you are able a few photos it will help speed things up.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #7,453 of 12,335
So the weirdest thing happened to me the other day... about 3 months ago, for some silly reason i was cleaning around my crack, and I had a look underneath with the power attached (switched off) and electrocuted myself :frowning2: it was just a little shock, nothing crazy . After that, only the right channel was working. I'm in Australia so shipping to US wasn't really and option for repair, and im not very technical when it comes to repairing electronics, so its been sitting in a cupboard for this time because i haven't been able to fix it.

So I get upgraditis again, dust it off so i plug in my HD650s and NOW ITS WORKING without me doing anything.

What the hell?  I could've been enjoying this sound for the last 3 months. Was it a capacitor that discharged? or The tubes?

Im scared if I move it it might happen again.

Just got Tidal too..god damn ive missed this sound!

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #7,454 of 12,335
  So the weirdest thing happened to me the other day... about 3 months ago, for some silly reason i was cleaning around my crack, and I had a look underneath with the power attached (switched off) and electrocuted myself :frowning2: it was just a little shock, nothing crazy . After that, only the right channel was working. I'm in Australia so shipping to US wasn't really and option for repair, and im not very technical when it comes to repairing electronics, so its been sitting in a cupboard for this time because i haven't been able to fix it.

So I get upgraditis again, dust it off so i plug in my HD650s and NOW ITS WORKING without me doing anything.

What the hell?  I could've been enjoying this sound for the last 3 months. Was it a capacitor that discharged? or The tubes?

Im scared if I move it it might happen again.

Just got Tidal too..god damn ive missed this sound!

Even if you switch off your power at the wall, I believe it only switches off live (could be neutral - I can never remember). Thus, as long as the Crack is plugged in you run the risk of being shocked. The only way to avoid that risk is to a) unplug the Crack completely, b) switch the power off at the circuit breaker or c) don't touch any exposed wires when touching the Crack "down under". The shock you experience would not have been capacitors discharging nor would it have been from the tubes. When you touched the exposed wires, you simply grounded the electricity coming in from the wall and got shocked.

Not sure why only one channel worked after that incident. I have been shocked the same way you were once or twice and I have been shocked once from the caps discharging when I touched them immediately after unplugging the power from the wall. My Crack worked fine thereafter although it took me some time to recover - it was less than 3 months though :wink:. I am assuming you have a bad solder joint somewhere that is now making proper contact again.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #7,455 of 12,335
  Even if you switch off your power at the wall, I believe it only switches off live (could be neutral - I can never remember). Thus, as long as the Crack is plugged in you run the risk of being shocked. The only way to avoid that risk is to a) unplug the Crack completely, b) switch the power off at the circuit breaker or c) don't touch any exposed wires when touching the Crack "down under". The shock you experience would not have been capacitors discharging nor would it have been from the tubes. When you touched the exposed wires, you simply grounded the electricity coming in from the wall and got shocked.

Not sure why only one channel worked after that incident. I have been shocked the same way you were once or twice and I have been shocked once from the caps discharging when I touched them immediately after unplugging the power from the wall. My Crack worked fine thereafter although it took me some time to recover - it was less than 3 months though :wink:. I am assuming you have a bad solder joint somewhere that is now making proper contact again.

It's such a freaky feeling >.< 

Anyway now there is constant hiss more on the left channel than the right, i have a feeling it may be dust and or that bad solder joint, or maybe tubes? Ugh wish i was in the US would just send it back to bottlehead to redo it for me, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back