Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #7,203 of 12,347
  Can someone recommend a relatively affordable input tube for the crack? I have a Tung Sol 5998 in the power section. Thanks

The usual answer is the RCA clear-tops - good detail and a very reasonable price.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #7,205 of 12,347
  Can someone recommend a relatively affordable input tube for the crack? I have a Tung Sol 5998 in the power section. Thanks

The clear top is a very nice tube with the darker sounding hd650 but if are using cans like the hd800 in your avatar or  Beyerdynamics you may find the clear tops bright top end is to much of good thing giving to much treble emphasis. I would suggest having a look for a  Tung-sol 12au7 JTL or Black glass (1950's) for me they have a nicer midrange with the top end a little dialled back compared to the rca clear top meaning things don't sound overly bright as they can do with the clear top and these phones. They are reasonably priced and easy enough to find.

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #7,206 of 12,347

The clear top is a very nice tube with the darker sounding hd650 but if are using cans like the hd800 in your avatar or  Beyerdynamics you may find the clear tops bright top end is to much of good thing giving to much treble emphasis. I would suggest having a look for a  Tung-sol 12au7 JTL or Black glass (1950's) for me they have a nicer midrange with the top end a little dialled back compared to the rca clear top meaning things don't sound overly bright as they can do with the clear top and these phones. They are reasonably priced and easy enough to find.

This is very good to know. Given that I own the HD650s, I decided to go with the clear top. Like you said, I think the added top end will go very nicely with the HD650s and should be a good compliment to the 5998.

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #7,207 of 12,347
The clear top is a really spectacular tube, delicate details with amazing timbre and extension. Definitely a winner with the HD650. Also great with the HD600, but only for well-produced music.

If you want something a little warmer, you could try to find a made-in-Holland Amperex tube for a decent price (good luck)--warm and sweet with a natural tone, more forgiving than the clear top but still not super forgiving.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #7,208 of 12,347
  The clear top is a really spectacular tube, delicate details with amazing timbre and extension. Definitely a winner with the HD650. Also great with the HD600, but only for well-produced music.

If you want something a little warmer, you could try to find a made-in-Holland Amperex tube for a decent price (good luck)--warm and sweet with a natural tone, more forgiving than the clear top but still not super forgiving.

Yeah I looked into the Amperex and I'm not sure that its for me. If the clear top sounds like what you described, then I think it's perfect for my setup. And as another plus, they're super cheap.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #7,210 of 12,347
If you are not adverse to a bit of enlarging the hole and rewiring in a loctal or octal socket, 7N7's are dirt cheap but the loctal equivalent to very pricey 6SN7's.  I tried darn near every variety of AU7's available with my 5998.  In every case, the 6SN7/7N7 was substantially better.  There are some adapters available from the auction site if you want to try first.

Cheers,
Geary

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #7,212 of 12,347
  If you are not adverse to a bit of enlarging the hole and rewiring in a loctal or octal socket, 7N7's are dirt cheap but the loctal equivalent to very pricey 6SN7's.  I tried darn near every variety of AU7's available with my 5998.  In every case, the 6SN7/7N7 was substantially better.  There are some adapters available from the auction site if you want to try first.

Cheers,
Geary

This is a very interesting idea!! But I think the enlargement process might be a little bit out of my league. I may have to pick up an adaptor...

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #7,214 of 12,347
Tung-SoL input tubes are very correct sounding. You can't go wrong with them. They are a hair punchy like a good Amprex but polite across the board and not recessed either. You can find them on ebay for $10 or there about.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R10.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XTung+Sol.TRS0&_nkw=tung+sol+12au7&_sacat=0

I found them to be a very good bargain tube against the 5998. Seems earlier dated the better as well.  I've gone down the holy grail rabbit hole with the Lyr and in terms of performance, my feeling the Tung Sol in the input section on a Crack is only second to some.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #7,215 of 12,347
  My issue is definitely not coming from the tube. If someone is in the central florida area please let me know as I am willing to pay a fee to have mine checked.

Have you tried the BH forums? Specific questions with as much detail about what you've tried and tested as possible will often get very good answers from guys who know the circuitry very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back