Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #6,814 of 12,347
@cspirou - I have 200 Hz from that session:

Mousai MSD 192 source output 200 Hz square wave 10K load:

BH Crack (non-SB) output HD800 load stock 100 uF Aluminum Electrolytics:

BH Crack (non-SB) output HD800 load Rubycon 470 uF Aluminum Electrolytics:

BH Crack with Tungsram e80cc input and Tung-Sol 6AS7g output tubes, 6AS7g grid adjusted to 88V both halves.

I will repeat these measurements when I have all the capacitors I intend to test in house. This was the preview testing.

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #6,818 of 12,347
Ok, not too bad for the first day. I spent probably 3 hours on this, maybe a little more. Hopefully I can get close to finishing tomorrow. And yes, I did route some wires differently, for fun. I used Black Dragon cable for the RCA inputs, for fun, so I had a little extra of each of the stock wires to take different routes. I did a 4 wire braid instead of a 2 wire twist in there. I don't like my stuff to look the same as everyone else's, it's a problem I have.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #6,819 of 12,347
  So they'll include a CD with the manuals ? I didn't know about it. But then why'd they put the PDF manuals in the cart ?
Will try to email Doc now, thanks

If you have lost the manual it's hard to get it back. But I found this torrent online you could use.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1446c8b4919fe5dc3287a7ac2e629cf0f32dc7ba&dn=bottlehead%20crack%20manual.7z

I checked it and it looks like it's the same as far as I can remember.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #6,820 of 12,347
Thats piracy man, I doubt the mods and folks at Bottlehead will be too happy about that link. You should probably edit your post and remove it asap.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #6,821 of 12,347
We used to include manuals on CD. But nobody has a CD drive anymore. So the manual is offered in downloadable form when you purchase a kit from us. As for using a manual from a torrent - we do update them every now and then. It may not be a current version. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #6,822 of 12,347
Well isn't it a little ridiculous to have have it for download. I bought mine used on here who I'm sure more than supports bottlehead if there is something wrong with sharing the manual that's just messed up if you ask me.

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #6,823 of 12,347
Maybe I'm wrong here but I would imagine the manual exists on torrent sites to aid people in building the amp cheaper than what it costs to buy the kit through bottlehead.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #6,825 of 12,347
So I tried to fix my volume intensity with this fix from the FAQ portion of Bottlehead's site:

3.  I can barely turn my Crack up at all before it's far too loud, what do I do?
Disconnect the white wire at the pot that originated at the left RCA jack.  Install a 75K resistor between this wire and where it connected on the pot.  
Repeat this step for the red wire coming from the right RCA jack.
Attach and solder one 33K resistor between each outer pair of lugs on each level of the volume pot.
Resistor wattage is unimportant, 1/10 Watt or greater will work nicely.

When I completed this, the left side as louder than my right side, resulting in a channel imbalance. In my infinitely intelligent brain, I decided to remove JUST the 75K resistors, leaving the bridged 33K resistors on the volume pot. I turned it on and tried on the headphones and now I cannot hear anything. Even after removing all the resistors. If I turn the volume all the way up, I can SLIGHTLY hear music. 

Does anyone know what I broke? Or rather an educated guess? It has speedball installed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back