Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,898 of 12,347
  Figured I better show what's under the hood. Totally stock, for now. Don't think I'm gonna get speedball, heard tubes don't make as much diff with it but dunno

And a better look at the paint

Having heard both versions, with varying tubes, I decided to use a non-speedballed Crack for my own listening as well. It was not a significant difference with my headphones (Senn HD600s) - and I preferred the additional harmonics in the regular crack. Not everyone will agree, but that was my call. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #5,899 of 12,347
How much of a difference is there between the DT 990 PRO 250 and 600 on crack with speedball? As I already own the 250ohm only because I already had a magni and I am thinking about getting the crack with speedball.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5,900 of 12,347
If you already have the 250ohm version, I wouldn't bother with the 600. If you like the Beyer sound though, you could try the DT880/600 instead.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #5,901 of 12,347

Just sand it down and re do the finish or another option is vinyl wrap it here's a couple of wrap jobs the Flag on the top plate and Carbon wrap on a Crack enclosure

Duh, show off aren't you mate? I envy you. Argh! Nice job you have there. BTW, the carbon finished is it carbon sticker? The thing is ****s happened as below:

1. Base perfectly built. Few month later, the glue fall off it self.
2. Reglue the only part that needed. Still got a little gap but I don't mind.
3. The base fall off from 6 meters height. Luckily only the glue separated. Along with small chip off.
4. Reglue all 4 corner together. Only one corner got perfect attach. Screw you...
5. Sanding done, only painting left. Painting is almost done, then there's emergency case need my attention during public holiday. I left the base 90% finished.
6. Turn out it's gastritis post hangover case but the guy told me he drank coffee and suspect his friend put poison inside his drink. Facepalm.
7. Went back home and there the base lying, unfinished. I removed again the varnish with thinner. Sigh.
8. I don't have mood to finish the project. Luckily I got my hifi to listen.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5,902 of 12,347
  Duh, show off aren't you mate? I envy you. Argh! Nice job you have there. BTW, the carbon finished is it carbon sticker? The thing is ****s happened as below:

1. Base perfectly built. Few month later, the glue fall off it self.
2. Reglue the only part that needed. Still got a little gap but I don't mind.
3. The base fall off from 6 meters height. Luckily only the glue separated. Along with small chip off.
4. Reglue all 4 corner together. Only one corner got perfect attach. Screw you...
5. Sanding done, only painting left. Painting is almost done, then there's emergency case need my attention during public holiday. I left the base 90% finished.
6. Turn out it's gastritis post hangover case but the guy told me he drank coffee and suspect his friend put poison inside his drink. Facepalm.
7. Went back home and there the base lying, unfinished. I removed again the varnish with thinner. Sigh.
8. I don't have mood to finish the project. Luckily I got my hifi to listen.

OMG. I feel for you. Especially 6. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #5,903 of 12,347

Having heard both versions, with varying tubes, I decided to use a non-speedballed Crack for my own listening as well. It was not a significant difference with my headphones (Senn HD600s) - and I preferred the additional harmonics in the regular crack. Not everyone will agree, but that was my call. 

I agree with you..Its just a matter of personal taste and nice build btw

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,905 of 12,347
  What is a good pair of tubes for psychedelic/blues rock, classical, jazz, and the likes. I have an HD600 and will have SB soon. About $90 to spend for both preamp and a curved power tube.

Depends on what you're looking for in those genres. How do you like the sound now with the stock tubes? What would you like more / less of?

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #5,906 of 12,347

Depends on what you're looking for in those genres. How do you like the sound now with the stock tubes? What would you like more / less of?

I have a Raytheon power and RCA preamp. I like the bass on these, so either equal or more is good. Looking for a rich/smooth sound with nice soundstage/imaging (3D). A quiet background is important too. Getting the most natural sound is my main goal. That's why I chose the HD600 over the DT880.

I have to get my RCA tube replaced by Bottlehead since it is defective and has a noticeable white noise and messing up the voltages. Can't really say if I want more or less of anything since I don't have anything to compare to and this is my first tube amp.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #5,907 of 12,347
  I have a Raytheon power and RCA preamp. I like the bass on these, so either equal or more is good. Looking for a rich/smooth sound with nice soundstage/imaging (3D). A quiet background is important too. Getting the most natural sound is my main goal. That's why I chose the HD600 over the DT880.

I have to get my RCA tube replaced by Bottlehead since it is defective and has a noticeable white noise and messing up the voltages. Can't really say if I want more or less of anything since I don't have anything to compare to and this is my first tube amp.

See if you can pick up a set of Mullard tubes - I really liked their spacious presentation and smooth overall sound. You may find that you like the Mullard power tube with an RCA cleartop up front for extra sparkle, but the Mullards are cheap enough generally to be worth a punt.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #5,908 of 12,347

See if you can pick up a set of Mullard tubes - I really liked their spacious presentation and smooth overall sound. You may find that you like the Mullard power tube with an RCA cleartop up front for extra sparkle, but the Mullards are cheap enough generally to be worth a punt.

Can't seem to find any Mullard power tubes that will fit the Crack. Should it be 6AS7G?

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,909 of 12,347
  Can't seem to find any Mullard power tubes that will fit the Crack. Should it be 6AS7G?

No, 6080 variants - they may have a WB or WA after the 6080. I can't remember which one I had, but it's probably mentioned in the Bottlehead Discussion and Comparison thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back